Sennheiser HD 558 vs ATH-AD700

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
Current sound card: Realtek Onboard (ALC892)
Current speakers: Klipsch Promedia 4.1 (12 years and going strong)
Current headphones: Sennheiser 280 Pro (refurbished)

I am looking for a new pair of headphones that are more comfortable to wear for long durations then my Sennheiser 280 Pro's (and they are in pretty bad condition anyways.) After scouring the internet looking for options I have narrowed it down to two options, the Sennheiser HD 558 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I can purchase both for approximately the same price; the AD700's new and the 558's would be refurbished.

I mostly game and watch movies/shows on my computer. I listen to mostly rock/industrial and when borrowing a friends car the first thing I generally do is turn down their bass and bump up the treble slightly... I like some bass but not too much.

I am worried that the AD700's will sound too "tinny" but hearing people talk about how comfortable they are keeps be eying them... my 280's leave my ears red and sweaty after a session of gaming and tend to give me bit of a headache. My motorcycle helmet is a large, so I'm hoping the AD700's will be fine size wise.

Many posts say the 558 isn't worth the extra cost over the AD700's but in this case the price will be the same... so I am asking you guys with hopes that someone has experience with both and can comment on their "general use" and comfort.

Thanks ahead of time, you guys are great for tie-breakers. If I posted this question on some other forums I'd have people recommending "slightly" more expensive headphones and finding out they are $200-$300+ ;-) That is NOT slightly more.

Last edited:
I use the AD500s and the HD598s, so not a direct comparison.

For games I prefer the AD500 and for music I prefer the 598s most of the time.
The 598s have more bass, the AD500/700s are a bit lacking on bass if that is what you like (I prefer less bass most of the time so no problem for me)

and they cost half :) so bonus there.

To me personally the 598s are far more comfy than the AD700s because the AD series is missing the additional axis pivot the A series has but they're still a rather comfortable headphone overall but I'm a bit spoiled from other headphones.

That said, initially the 598s may be slightly uncomfortable for a few days until the pads soften up but then they are wonderful.

I got a 558 for $110 shipped on Amazon. It was used like new with warranty.

I had the HD555 and AD700 (got rid of the HD555). AD700 was just superior compared to HD555. The HD558 is supposedly a bit better than the HD555 however. It is probably a toss up. AD700 had better bass extension than the HD555. The HD555 sounded very boomy and muddy. The AD700 was also more comfortable mostly because the HD555's clamping force was pretty strong (I have the same issue with my HD650, HD558 supposedly improved in this area). The AD700 kind of "floats" on your head.

The thing I hated most about my AD700 was that after using it your hair looks pretty stupid :D

btw I suggest looking at some other options maybe a Grado SR80. Grado SR80 with some mods are amazingly comfortable and are good for your musical preference.

I think the 558's design is probably a more universally comfortable one, and it fits a bit more securely... AT's can feel lose on certain noggins. It's really rather subjective tho, best bet is trying them out somehow. The AD700 have the wider sound stage tho.

Last edited:
btw I suggest looking at some other options maybe a Grado SR80. Grado SR80 with some mods are amazingly comfortable and are good for your musical preference.

He also said he uses them for gaming and movies the most though.

I tried out the Sennheiser HD 598 and they didn't feel comfortable at all. I tried on the AD-700 and OMFG!

I have the AD-700 and use them for gaming. When I game I game at 12hr sessions at a time and don't take them off unless I need to get some quick grub or release my grub.

Not once have I ever had an issue with wearing the AD-700 for duration. They don't rub, they don't get hot and they dont put my head in a vice. I have a big head BTW.

For gaming they are excellent. They are an open design and the sound stage is huge. I play a lot of FPS games and I don't have an issue with the bass. For movies I wish I had a bit more bass, but it is acceptable. Overall this headset is a dream.

I would highly suggest getting an ASUS Xonar sound card though. As quality cans will just magnify the shit out of the distortion that your on-board audio is producing.

I have the ASUS Xonar DX and it rocks.

I found the HD558's too tight on my melon, ath-ad700's seem much more comfortable

I found a comparison between the AD700, the HD558 and my current HD280Pro's:

graphCompare.php

So the bass on my 280Pro's is quite exaggerated (my headphones before these were even more bass driven) and my concern about the top end being too exaggerated are now alleviated as my current headphones have the same issue.

It looks like the HD558s would be more of a middle ground between my current headphones and the AD700s, as the AD700s bass is considerably lower then the HD558s.

So the HD558's will have a more level frequency response and a smaller drop in bass but reviews of the comfort aren't consistent, some people say they are incredibly comfortable and others say they have too great of a clamping force... that said I AM coming from a headphone which almost everyone complained about in terms of clamping force.

The question comes down to: possible greater comfort vs better bass.

Edit: I've heard that 90hz is considered the range you're suppose to look at for bass but I'm not entirely sure (the comment is just in the back of my mind). Is the difference between the bass actually this significant?

Edit 2: Would adjusting the lower frequency up a few notches in the EQ improve the bass on the AD700's without adding considerable noise? I'm a noob when it comes to EQ.

Last edited:
"This one comes down to user preference. While the HD 558s outperform the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s in frequency response, they go toe-to-toe in just about every other category but price."

Given that the price of the HD558 refurbished is the same as the AD700 new, this comment is bothering me. In forum posts people often say that the AD700 has a larger sound stage (not exactly sure what that means.) The graph seems to show that the the sound of the 558s is better except for the highs.

Last edited:
I got mine used in like new condition on amazon for $109 shipped usps express.

I removed the stupid ass foam tape on the inside of the cups. It makes the soundstage noticeably larger. Stock, it sounds almost like a closed headphone. That took all of 3-5 minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8i_ZGHHhuQ

I think that the sound stage is constrained a bit by the shape of the cups. It appears to be very good and detailed but a bit narrow and vertically inclined. I mean that if you took the sound stage and molded it into a shape, it would be like the cup itself with some sound extending out side it a bit. The movement from one ear to the other is good but the sound stage is just not that wide front to back of the ear. Damn good headphones for the money even so. Just wish the cups were larger. Seems like a smaller version of the AD900 than the AD700.

If you want a huge sound stage, the AD700 is going to win. However, the 558 is better in every other regard except for the highs but even then it is close. the mids are where most of the sound is and the 558s are superior there no doubt.

If I was going gaming only I would get the ad700. For all around sound, the 558 is a better deal.

Last edited:
I got mine used in like new condition on amazon for $109 shipped usps express.

I removed the stupid ass foam tape on the inside of the cups. It makes the soundstage noticeably larger. Stock, it sounds almost like a closed headphone. That took all of 3-5 minutes to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8i_ZGHHhuQ

I think that the sound stage is constrained a bit by the shape of the cups. It appears to be very good and detailed but a bit narrow and vertically inclined. I mean that if you took the sound stage and molded it into a shape, it would be like the cup itself with some sound extending out side it a bit. The movement from one ear to the other is good but the sound stage is just not that wide front to back of the ear. Damn good headphones for the money even so. Just wish the cups were larger. Seems like a smaller version of the AD900 than the AD700.

If you want a huge sound stage, the AD700 is going to win. However, the 558 is better in every other regard except for the highs but even then it is close. the mids are where most of the sound is and the 558s are superior there no doubt.

If I was going gaming only I would get the ad700. For all around sound, the 558 is a better deal.

Ya I would definitely be doing the mod, heard it makes them more similar to the 598s.

What size head do you have and do you find the 558s comfortable? The clamping force is a large concern for me. My current Sennheiser is ridiculous in this regard. A reviewer who has owned both has complained the AD700 was too loose and the 598 was too clamping (and the 558 is moreso).

Although the same reviewer said, "Comfort-wise.... uhh, no. Just...no. Sennheiser loves it's clamp, and the HD280 Pro is a TORTURE device. It's a vice grip on your head, and the really 'perfect' seal adds heat and sweat on top of that painful clamp. Probably the worst I've used in terms of comfort," about my current headphones and gave them a 1/10 and the 598s a 7/10 so perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid about comfort.

Last edited:
I am 6'3" 215lbs with a 7 3/4 hat size so I have about as big a head as they get. Yes it does clamp more than the ad700s but a torture? Hardly. The headband could be softer and the ear cups larger and deeper. If you find them uncomfortable compared to the Ad700s I can understand that but only if you have a really fat head or narrow skull and/or huge ears.

I am 6'3" 215lbs with a 7 3/4 hat size so I have about as big a head as they get. Yes it does clamp more than the ad700s but a torture? Hardly. The headband could be softer and the ear cups larger and deeper. If you find them uncomfortable compared to the Ad700s I can understand that but only if you have a really fat head or narrow skull and/or huge ears.

The "torture device" was referring to the HD 280 Pro, which I completely agree with as I am currently using them and they are quite uncomfortable for anything more than an hour. Given they are over five years old and the band is duct taped together they were MUCH more uncomfortable when they were in good condition (more then a few minutes would cause my ears to be sore).

I included the quote and the rating to suggest that even if the 558's aren't as comfortable as the AD700's they will most assuredly be an improvement over my current headphones.

I am 5'10" 155lbs with a 7 3/4 hat size.

I will be ordering the Sennheiser HD 558's tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
Of course. I'm just saying that almost no matter what I buy it's probably going to be much more comfortable so I shouldn't base my AD700 vs HD558 choice on comfort.

I placed the order for the refurbished 558s ten minutes ago... I'll post my thoughts on them once I've received them and used them for a few weeks.

Thanks again, you guys have been helpful.

Comfort is subjective, comfort over time even more so, a lot of people would describe the HD 5xx's series clamping force as light and the AT AD's as non existent (they can feel loose and/or slip easily depending on your hair style, glasses, etc). I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 558, pretty good value at close to $100.

That's the problem with online shopping... I have to rely on peoples subjective experiences. The sennheiser website only listed online retailers and the electronics stores in my area only seem to carry Logitech, Gamecom and Turtle Beach nonsense.

I've got the AD700 along a lot of other cans... and find them boring. Its not that they are bass light...no, its even worse, they have no bass whatsoever, and I have enough power to amp them so they won't grow anymore.

Also, about comfort... they are comfy and light, too much for me. I mean, they seem like they float on your head, which is a sensation I don't like at all.

I don't know, if you like to have any sort of bass, AD700 is off the list, seriously. If you don't care about bass, you may like them.

I've got the AD700 along a lot of other cans... and find them boring. Its not that they are bass light...no, its even worse, they have no bass whatsoever, and I have enough power to amp them so they won't grow anymore.

Also, about comfort... they are comfy and light, too much for me. I mean, they seem like they float on your head, which is a sensation I don't like at all.

I don't know, if you like to have any sort of bass, AD700 is off the list, seriously. If you don't care about bass, you may like them.

Thanks for throwing in your opinion... glad I ordered the 558's.

That's the problem with online shopping... I have to rely on peoples subjective experiences. The sennheiser website only listed online retailers and the electronics stores in my area only seem to carry Logitech, Gamecom and Turtle Beach nonsense.

Yeah, I don't know what kinda high end audio stores big cities have but I've got the same issue here in Puerto Rico. I was hoping I'd be able to try out some stuff when I spent a week in Orlando recently but I visited a couple stores including a Guitar Center and no one had much variety... GC had the most but it was basically one Beyer model (DT 770), some low end Senn stuff, and a lot of budget crap.

Most of what I've tried has been thru friends and meets, HeadFi's the best place for that.

Glad you ordered a pair. I am certain that until you go to the $200 range there isn't a better all around open head phone.

I have been listening to football with them today. I like the live sound they are giving me. Sounds nice and echoe-y like a stadium should.

Oh, don't make any certain opinions on them for at least a week or three. Takes the brain a while to get used to a new headphone.

I love my ATH AD700 and looking at current pricing it seems like a much better value than the 558.

I think the base sounds fine on my AD700 and I do use an external Topping D2 DAC and amplifier.

I got my ATH AD700 new from Amazon for around $90.

Last edited:
I love my ATH AD700 and looking at current pricing it seems like a much better value than the 558.

I think the base sounds fine on my AD700 and I do use an external Topping D2 DAC and amplifier.

I got my ATH AD700 new from Amazon for around $90.

Current pricing new yes.

You can get the 558 for around $100 on amazon used or refurb with warranty though.

the 558 are a better headphone than the AD700. They sound better have good bass and more detail. They are just as comfy or more cuz they provide a better seal on your ears with better isolation. They also cost more

the 558 are a better headphone than the AD700. They sound better have good bass and more detail. They are just as comfy or more cuz they provide a better seal on your ears with better isolation. They also cost more

Thanks for the input. Although we're talking about open-back headphones so isolation isn't even a factor. The price between the two headphones in this case is approximately equal.

The 558s should be in my hands within the week.

Alright... Xonar DXG new vs Xonar DX (Refurb). Both are the same price. Which one for these Sennheiser 558s and my Klipsch 4.1s?

People just don't read through posts do they? Totally miss that you already bought a headphone.

Anyway, xonar dx will sound better BUT the asus soundcards can be weird. If there are any strange issues it is probably the card being defective and just send it back. I use a DX with dolby headphone aka game mode on the dx > digital out > my big ass receiver which is an upsampling dac and headphone amp.

If you just plug into the headphone jack of the sound card, you can switch b/w gaming, music and movie modes.

Using the speakers with the headphone plugged in means that you either need a receiver or maybe a small headphone amp with rca out puts.

Even the STX cannot play through headphones and the speakers at the same time. When it switch between outputs like makes a click sound like my Home theatre AV receiver

I'm not sure anyone was talking about simultaneous playback on both... To switch you can just use something as simple as a 3.5mm extension and manual cable swapping at the end of it. The STX has discrete outputs and actuators to switch between them like a receiver, one of the reasons I got it over a cheaper Ti HD... I just hope Win 8 doesn't make it obsolete. :(

I'm not sure anyone was talking about simultaneous playback on both... To switch you can just use something as simple as a 3.5mm extension and manual cable swapping at the end of it. The STX has discrete outputs and actuators to switch between them like a receiver, one of the reasons I got it over a cheaper Ti HD... I just hope Win 8 doesn't make it obsolete. :(

Is there a downside to using the front panel headphone jack connected to the Xonar DX's front-panel audio I/O header?

Is there a downside to using the front panel headphone jack connected to the Xonar DX's front-panel audio I/O header?

They are usually noisy and not as well amped. Not as good as straight from the back.

They are usually noisy and not as well amped. Not as good as straight from the back.

Alright. Makes sense, as the front-panel cable is carrying an analog signal all the way across the inside of the case.

Thanks again. My headphones shipped from Florida today. Upgrading from from some Sony's to the Sennheiser 280 Pro's was a night and day difference years ago... this will be even better :)

Last edited:
Back