• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sennheiser HD-555 mods

Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
4,014
I did the "mod" on mine where you remove the foam piece from behind the speaker but I don't know if there is a real difference, what do you think? And what effect would happen if I was to cover the whole grill with foam instead of the one small piece that comes with them out of the factory?
 
i think itd sound bad if you do that. its just like bookshelf speakers that have openings in the back so that air can go out making the bass response and making the speakers themselvs sound better. honestly i think itd sound muddy, but hey who knows why dont u try it?
 
I did the "mod" on mine where you remove the foam piece from behind the speaker but I don't know if there is a real difference, what do you think? And what effect would happen if I was to cover the whole grill with foam instead of the one small piece that comes with them out of the factory?

A question like this belongs on Head-Fi. If there isn't someone who has already tried that, there will be someone knowledgeable who can probably tell you what to expect.
 
I did this to my HD485 a few years ago, it made them sound a little bit clearer and airy. But if it sound the same to you.... I would just put them back on.
 
If the sound were better by removing stuff, I think Sennheiser would have never put the stuff there to begin with. As an owner of HD-555s myself, I can tell you that the best mod. to get better sound is to replace them with better headphones.
 
Just leave em' alone. I had a friend do that to a new pair of HD-555's and he wound up f'ng the whole thing up. Needless to say, if you know for certain it's going to garner better quality of audio- at least know what you're doing.
 
Back
Top