SENNHEISER HD 280PRO $74 shipped at newegg

Excellent headphones but can be a little uncomfortable if used for extended periods of time because they are extremely tight. If you have a very large head these are not for you.
On the plus side because they are so tight they block out almost all ambient sounds even at very low volumes which is nice...

Very good price. I got lucky and got mine for 60 a year or two ago, and these cans are worth every penny.

is that a good deal?

They're $99 on Pricegrabber. So I guess $25 off is a decent deal.

The reviews I read were pretty favorable. I use Grado GR60's and love them, so I don't have a need to upgrade. Those were only $60 (not noise-cancelling, they're open-driver style).

I've had these for a couple of years now, I absolutely love them. They have never been uncomfortable for me during long hours of gaming and listening to music. They have great frequency response and good power.

Anyone know how they would fit on a fairly large head? Some reviews on Newegg said these cans were uncomfortable for larger heads but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Anyone know how they would fit on a fairly large head? Some reviews on Newegg said these cans were uncomfortable for larger heads but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience.

I would stick with the ATH headphones (AD700 for this price range) for large heads.

Maybe it was because of my big head but when i purchased these I had to return them immediately because I intended on using them with a microphone for gaming online- but whenever I talked I would hear myself through the vibrations and it just got pretty annoying, lol. Nonetheless though Sennheiser makes some amazing headphones. If you want the best gaming headphones ever buy the HD555- had them for two years and intend on buying another pair if my current ones bust. :D

The cushions on the earphones aren't very durable. I had to stuff toilet paper behind them in the earphones so my ears didn't scrape against the metal surface of the earphone.

Maybe I just have big ears, great headphones otherwise.

The HD555s are awesome if you have a semi quiet space to use them in. Great directional sounds as well for gaming.

I love my HD555. I just got my first amp and now I think I want to spend more money on audio equipment.

Like the saying on head-fi "Sorry for your wallet"

Skip these and spend $15 more on some HD555
555 = Open; they leak a bit, let in a lot. Poor mids; lower frequencies lacking detail, although bass level in general is heavier; sounds wider (due to being open); good soundstage.
280 Pro = Closed; leak nothing, let in nothing. Bass level is low and falloff is a bit short, but low freqs are deep; crisp highs; good soundstage. Needs a lot of playback time (100+ hours) to fully open up. High clamping force, but that is what makes this the most isolating headphone ever made.

I'd get the 280s and EQ them to increase bass in general, or even better, do a blu-tack mod on it. Neither one is really an audiophile set, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234929725&sr=8-1

closer to $20 than $15, but if you're looking for open eared, that's a hard to beat price.

just to add, about 4 weeks ago amazon was the cheapest at $115, they dropped the price down to $97-98 about 2 weeks ago.

I don't know if its normal but the HD280 and HD555 have held their value fairly well over the past couple years. I've owned both headphones but I liked HD555 more because they sounded more crisp with better base. Both headphones have more realistic bass so if you like huge amounts for your rap/hip-hop, whatever, then I would steer clear of these. The HD555 are also more comfy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had these headphones for years, they are durable. I fly with them all the time, cuts almost completely the engine noise. They deliver very highs, and soft lows.

I have the 555's, but I guess if I'm reading right here, the HD280's aren't an upgrade unless I need more sound isolation.

awesome! was looking for a set to replace my 5 year old pxc250's
those sounded great to me, supposedly these are much better. Can't wait!

Having used these and the Sony V6's I just cannot see why anyone would choose the Senns. They're far less comfortable and have the musical tonality of a dead squirrel. Yes, I burned them in, yes, I eq-ed them, yes, I prayed over them.

$60 bucks @ etronics

Then put these pads on them for the ultimate in comfort.

The mod fully completed:

V6swithBeyerPads.jpg

V6swithBeyerPads4.jpg

Once you've got the Beyer pads on, you'll be wrapped in velour-ian circumaural delight!

If you're looking for the most neutral sound possible, the Senns may suit you well. But if you're like 90% of us that like to shake our heads when we rock out or go ape shit when blowing something up...Sony V6 FTW.

Sorry for the thread jack, but I cannot allow this to go on.

So these Sony's would be better for Hiphop/Rap with a mp3 player? Plus I would probably do some lite gaming(I have the z5500's so I use them mostly). I can't decide which ones to get. I really want some new Headphones mostly for my mp3 player. Which ones The Sony or the Senn's? Plus when ever I get headphones over the months or years the first thing to break is always the cords, does this Sony have a replaceable cord is it sorts out or rips?

For $5, you can make it a headset with the Zalman ZM-MIC1.

So these Sony's would be better for Hiphop/Rap with a mp3 player?
Yes.

Plus when ever I get headphones over the months or years the first thing to break is always the cords, does this Sony have a replaceable cord is it sorts out or rips?
What?! Well, um...I've never done that, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps you could be a bit less rough on these? :)

Personally, I love these headphones. These are great if you're doing boom audio or if you're a drummer for recording sessions.

Personally, I love these headphones. These are great if you're doing boom audio or if you're a drummer for recording sessions.

I've had HD555s on my head for long periods of time at the computer and will actually forget I'm wearing them if my music stops for a while.

I've had HD555s on my head for long periods of time at the computer and will actually forget I'm wearing them if my music stops for a while.

I love wearing them riding my bike to school, they feel like earmuffs :D
The HD555's have to me some of the best sounding and most comfortable cans I have ever worn!

+1 on the Sony MDR V6 if you're a basshead.I used to have a set of those--they'll seriously rattle your eyeballs. Hip-hop, techno, even the kickdrum on some death metal. You may need a good amplified headphone jack though. I couldn't drive them to their full potential off my old PC line-outs, so I powered them off a home receiver with a 1/4" 2-watt headphone jack. Very, very loud. I eventually blew them up. :(

(and i'm half deaf now...go figure)

HD 280 Pro's are a great buy. I love the sound isolation; no more having others nag me to turn down the volume of music/games when in the office, the car, or on an airplane. Clarity is great, even when cranked, and although I'd say my head is about medium-sized, they fit rather comfortably but would begin to hurt after a few hours; something I've found true for every headphone in existence, even my incredibly comfortable cloth Bose (they were free, no need to flame) headphones.

Back