Semi-HTPC Build (Budget $300)

viets7ylez

Gawd
Hey everyone, I'm building a computer for my girlfriend's parents. They will mostly be using this to stream movies online (not HD). I would like them to have the ability to watch HD movies if they wish though so the power should be there if possible.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?

Needs to be able to stream video without lag, HD video is not require but would be nice if possible in budget.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$300 for everything.

3) Where do you live?

North Carolina

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

I need everything, no monitor.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

65'' HDTV

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

ASAP.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

HDMI output.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

I will get Windows 7 64.

$300 is a very small budget for a complete computer system, especially if you also need a new OS.

Have you taken a look at some bargain hunting sites (or Dell Outlet, among other places) for a good deal on a prebuilt system?

Just in case you can't find a prebuilt:
$117 - AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU + GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard combo FS
$39 - WINTEC 3AXT6400C5-2048K 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM FS
$50 - Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive FS
$29 - LG GH22NS50 DVD Burner
$86 - Antec NSK4480 ATX Case with Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU
----
Total: $320 plus tax (Shipping already added for DVD burner and case/PSU combo)

The above setup will be more than enough for HD playback as long as you setup HD playback correctly.

If you want something that can be passively cooled at the cost of less power (still enough power for HD playback thanks to ION):

I'm not really familiar with American shops n stuff, so search this yourself:

CPU + MoBo:
Zotac has a Nvidia ION mobo with the Atom 330 for around $200. You could prolly get one for around $120 if I'm not mistaken but that would be the 230 Atom CPU and no wireless etc.
PSU + case;
Any mitx case, but make sure you have an EXTERNAL psu (like a laptop). Shouldn't be more than $50.
RAM:
1GB / 2GB of any 667 ddr2 ram shouldn't come more than around $50
HDD:
If your case has space for a 3.5 disk take the cheapest you can get, otherwise you could just run any linux off a usb drive.

I have a HTPC-kinda rig at home like this and it runs ubutnu just fine. I paid €250 in Europe (Slovenia), so it shouldn't be much more (it should even be less) in America. The mobo (which includes the cpu) is the thing that impacts the price, so it's your choice what you want to have on it. Personally I wouldn't take anything that doesn't have Nvidia ION (HD playback) and I would suggest having wireless already on the mobo - such builds don't have much luck with extra cards ;)

EDIT:
Oh and take a look at this (it's something like what I suggested):
link - nettop style thingy - $300
link - slightly bigger style thingy - $300
link - some Zotac mobo with the n330 and wireless - $180
link - some Zotac mobo with the n230 . $120

Back