Selling Microsoft XP? Safe?

terminalbmx55

Limp Gawd
I have a copy of XP Home editon, it was installed on a computer that is no longer a computer. I have the original CD and Serial. Would it be safe to sell this?

Thanks
-Rob

Is it an OEM version of RETAIL version? (ie did it come with the computer and was the computer a Dell, HP, Sony, etc) or did you buy it at best Buy , Circuit City, Staples, etc..

OEMs are pretty much a one-time shot thing...

If it is retail- you can re-sell the thing, as long as you discontinue use of the old system (which I guess you have).

Is it an OEM version of RETAIL version? (ie did it come with the computer and was the computer a Dell, HP, Sony, etc) or did you buy it at best Buy , Circuit City, Staples, etc..

Yes, it is an OEM version. No it did not come with a Brand computer, I built the computer for my buddy, and he bought XP from some website and installed it the computer crashed and we parted it.

It's supposed to be binned if you discontinue using the PC it was first installed and activated on, and the sensible move is to do just that. You can't sell it on eBay for starters, and if you sell it privately or by other means it'll likely fail automatic activation for the person buying it. Then they try to telephone activate, explain that it's 'legit' because they bought it from you.........

Not worth the effort and worry. Chuck it in the bin just like you're supposed to ;)

The license is tied to the hardware. Ship it with some of the hardware.

The license is tied to the hardware. Ship it with some of the hardware.

I have actually moved the oem product from one machine to another. Ms was less then thrilled but I pointed out I was using only the one original copy and that the machine it was built for is NLA, they relented and ok'd an activation.

Don't try to sell it, that breaches the contract with ms, unless you install it on a machine you are selling and give the customer the software and documentation.

Luck

Update: I have installed the OEM Windows on a PC and sold it with all the documentation. Before I went ahead and installed it on another PC I just built, I called Microsoft, everything was legit since the older PC was no longer "in-use" lol, more like completely trashed! :cool:

Back