Self Checkout Means Walking out the Door?

I work at Walmart part-time checking people out (and I have two master's degrees and actually talk to people). My point, I guess, is that not everyone who works at Walmart is a simpleton without skills. They actually offer some decent discounts (10% on Walmart, 20% Verizon/AT&T, etc) to even part time people. Makes up for it when my other work is slow and I work on commission.

Although, I would be the first to admit I'm the exception rather than the rule. Most of the people are working their way through college or 2nd earners in their family.

Now what if I went out the store with my stuff and went back in with my items because I forgot something?
The chips are still on and they don't keep track of if you go out and turn right around and come back in again. So would you get double charged, triple charged?

according to the article, you would have to run your cart by a scanner for it to read what's in the cart. the actual range of the RFID tags is very small, so you'd have to be pretty close in order to have the scanner read the items.

so i'm sure they'd have the scanners well within the doors so that if you went back in, there'd be plenty of room to walk around without it reading it again, and probably have at least one or two "spotters" who watch people coming in/going out to ensure that 1) they actually scan their items as they go out, and 2) don't RE-scan their items if they come back in after paying. if you run it back through the scanner, then it's your own dumbass fault for getting double-charged.

Come on, some of us here work in IT. These scanners are hooked up to servers. Simple logic here:
if barcode is scancode
then don't charge again.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1035518360 said:
Yeah, until you get behind a person who has NO idea what a bar code looks like and clearly has never bought anything from a vending machine in his/her life!

I've seen people just swipe something across the reader with the bar code UP and facing them and they just go "duhhhh, why didn't this scan?" *swipe* *swipe* *swipe* over and over....

Then when it's time to pay, they can't figure out how to swipe their debit card, OR if they're paying in cash they either try to stuff 10 bills in at once or they go too fast for the machine and wonder why it won't accept their crumpled ones and/or spits them back out.

Jesus, people, is it really THAT hard?

I like it when people get mad at the self checkout machine. User error lol.

Back