Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40"/ SM32UNP 30"4K LED Monitors

thinking about getting one of these, and after reading this thread

any updates from users would be appreciated

1- is 10 bit color, the 6 bit at first was a typo ?

2- how are they holding up, any RMA's, and how is Seiki to deal with on warranty

and are any other 40 inch 4k screen on the way soon

but got to get something soon fury drops dvi and my hp lp3065 olny has dvi and is starting to go after 8 years

I bought one from Amazon. It didn't even turn on. Second one worked but overall I wasn't happy with the viewing angles - colors anywhere but the center were washed out. Went back to my LG 34UC97.

I bought one from Amazon. It didn't even turn on. Second one worked but overall I wasn't happy with the viewing angles - colors anywhere but the center were washed out. Went back to my LG 34UC97.

looked at that won't work for me
I have two systems a 980 sli and a 290x cfx (soon fury x cfx I hope ) so need two displayports, got two crap apple ThunderBolt ports instead
would have to go with the 34" dell but would rather have 4k and bigger than my 30 inch 1600p

viewing angles

you mean sitting centered on the screen it is washed out at the sides ?
and how close do you sit to the screen

Last edited:
Anyone heard any dates in relation to when they are going to refresh this model with HDMI 2.0 & DP 1.3? I've heard "Summer" but nothing more specific. Thinking of buying one of these but may wait if the new revision will be released soon.

Anyone heard any dates in relation to when they are going to refresh this model with HDMI 2.0 & DP 1.3? I've heard "Summer" but nothing more specific. Thinking of buying one of these but may wait if the new revision will be released soon.

I think that I would definitely wait. In addition to HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3, chances are the newer version might be better in other ways (panel, electronics, firmware, etc.).

Maybe see if Seiki has a Facebook or Twitter page and ask there. Company reps are typically pretty good about addressing questions on social media.

Valid point, I'll report back if I find anything out.

EDIT: They have both a Facebook and a Twitter page, both under SeikiDigital. I have a question up on their Twitter, so we'll see. Details when I have them.

Last edited:
Bought the SM40UMP and have been using it for about 5 days now. Coming from a U3011, I have the say the picture is crap out of the box. I just ordered a Spyder, but if anyone knows where I can find some decent settings until then I'd appreciate it.

After getting it setup to use DP1.2 @ 60hz I've been playing Elite Dangerous for about 4 days now. Haven't noticed any ghosting or much banding (some areas of ED band no matter the monitor) and am pretty happy with it so far. I will be happier after I can dial the picture in and my 980Ti's arrive. Then I will test out Witcher 3 and we'll see how this thing really compares.

Bought the SM40UMP and have been using it for about 5 days now. Coming from a U3011, I have the say the picture is crap out of the box. I just ordered a Spyder, but if anyone knows where I can find some decent settings until then I'd appreciate it.

After getting it setup to use DP1.2 @ 60hz I've been playing Elite Dangerous for about 4 days now. Haven't noticed any ghosting or much banding (some areas of ED band no matter the monitor) and am pretty happy with it so far. I will be happier after I can dial the picture in and my 980Ti's arrive. Then I will test out Witcher 3 and we'll see how this thing really compares.

had mine about the same
first one came from amazon with the UPS samsonite gorilla, smashed screen and dents all over
second was fine no dead or stuck pixels ;)

had to set color to 6500k and turn down the brightness both on screen and nv cp and ccc, thing was much to brighter than my hp lp 3065

having good luck with both 290x cfx and 980 4gb sli with it, very playable if you drop aa in games fo far
but i'm running out of horsepower before memory, maybe if I can find two fury's i'll get close to topping out 4gb
Witcher 3, killing floor 2, crisis 3, dying light, fallout 3 & nv moded, diablo 3 all look great at 4k 40 inch

got to play with settings a lot at 4k but not near as bad as 1600p was in 2007 on two ati x1950xtx in cf

all in all it is very nice screen till they get a 4k 40" freesync/g-sync in a year or two

just wish it had a input button instead of having to go into the menu to switch between my two computers

Apologize for the thread necro. I had the same issue coming from a U3011 - I found the colors washed out and poor viewing angles. I calibrated mine with a Huey Pro - there are better tools but I use this panel for productivity and gaming, not professional work. I have display/contrast at 60/40, and the Huey took care of the color calibration. MUCH improved - I can actually make out text/toolbar icons at screen edges.

I miss my U3011, which is now serving as a paperweight. The untimely demise of which prompted my upgrade to 4k far ahead of desired schedule.

Last edited:
hey guys Im having a problem with this monitor im only getting 30Hz refresh rate via

mini HDMI converter to HDMI > to HDMI Cable?

is it possible that my cabling has something to do with it?

hey guys Im having a problem with this monitor im only getting 30Hz refresh rate via

mini HDMI converter to HDMI > to HDMI Cable?

is it possible that my cabling has something to do with it?

I may be wrong, but I think 60Hz is only possible with display port.

anyone have any custom settings for this monitor? I have one but the colors are straight shit.

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with coloring (I even put it on restore defaults)

The SM40UNP is $508 US right now through NewEgg. The sale ends tomorrow. Free 3-day shipping is available to Premiere members, which you can get a free 30-day trial for signing up. If you missed the Shell Shocker sale, this is still a great deal. Currently $623 at Amazon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8RW34J5238
Apologize for the thread necro. I had the same issue coming from a U3011 - I found the colors washed out and poor viewing angles. I calibrated mine with a Huey Pro - there are better tools but I use this panel for productivity and gaming, not professional work. I have display/contrast at 60/40, and the Huey took care of the color calibration. MUCH improved - I can actually make out text/toolbar icons at screen edges.

I miss my U3011, which is now serving as a paperweight. The untimely demise of which prompted my upgrade to 4k far ahead of desired schedule.
Well, the Seiki is a VA panel, while the Dell was IPS. VA suffers from similar viewing angles as TN, just with contrast shift instead of gamma shift.
anyone have any custom settings for this monitor? I have one but the colors are straight shit.

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with coloring (I even put it on restore defaults)
I think you'll have to do it through software because I read the color is stuck to what the manufacturer says is 6500K and gamma 2.2 without adjustments available. I guess "professional" to Seiki means they know better than you...

Last edited:
I appreciate the photo. That isn't as bad as I've dreaded, but it still puts me at a loss. Chances are that this screen and the Phillips use the same pannel. Which means I've got to be wary of any 40" 4K VA pannel for the next few years... UUgh... I don't know wether to bite the bullet and just buy it and deal with non-square pixels, or wait for ages for a new cheap 40" non TN 60hz 4k screen...

Deal breaker time: will it do 1080p or 1440p at above 60 Hz? Because that would make up for the lack of shape accuracy.

lol, you should continue to wait for perfection at a low price, it will never happen but you will have fun waiting while everyone else enjoys 40" 4k monitors daily. :)

The SM40UNP is $508 US right now through NewEgg. The sale ends tomorrow. Free 3-day shipping is available to Premiere members, which you can get a free 30-day trial for signing up. If you missed the Shell Shocker sale, this is still a great deal. Currently $623 at Amazon.

Great deal. It was a Newegg ShellShocker on 12/14/15 for $448, so this is the second lowest price that I've seen it.

Very tempted to get this for work but I believe my HP EliteBook's 6470M can only support a maximum digital resolution of 2560x1600, so I don't think I'd be able to take full advantage of it. :( Ugh, I'd so much rather have this than the dual 1920x1080s I'm using now.

Has anyone noticed that this monitor has automatic brightness adjustment?

When viewing a mostly black image the monitor decreases brightness, and when viewing pure white the monitor increases the brightness.

This is a deal breaker for me. Is there a way to disable it?

Last edited:
What your experiencing is dynamic contrast. If you go into the settings on the monitor it should be under DCR or something like that. Take it off and things should be fine.

What your experiencing is dynamic contrast. If you go into the settings on the monitor it should be under DCR or something like that. Take it off and things should be fine.

I have DCR off. The brightness is still auto adjusting.

I have a question I want for sure 4:4:4 60 hz 4k but for awhile I'll have to go straight into the display as my receiver can't handle 4k. So how would I get True HD and other lossless audio to my receiver if the hdmi has to go to the display from my pc's video card.

Could I get something with display port 1.2 and then also run the hdmi into the receiver at the same time. I'm not sure how the heck I could get this working.

Yes. I run DP out to the monitor and then an HDMI to my receiver for audio. No issues.

Could I get something with display port 1.2 and then also run the hdmi into the receiver at the same time. I'm not sure how the heck I could get this working.

Thanks for that reply. I'm on the fence really. $508 at newegg still not sure if size its right for me. Plus it bothers me no one really said if its 8 bit or 10 bit color. I know this has been $450 before and what ever happened to their updated hdmi 2.0 version they said. nearly a year later now and nothing.

But dying to get to 4k and this plus $300 for a gtx 970 and I'd be in the game. I have several 4k movies already downloaded too. I'm also kinda freaked at how small things might be on it. I'm 46 sight isn't what it used to be lol.

Hey wait since this doesn't have hdmi 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you can't ever play any blu ray UDH disk on this display then right. Yep I see I guess you need display port 1.3 for HDCP 2.2. Well hell I guess that rules this out even if 98% of the UHD blu rays are fake 4k lol.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen an issue where an adaptive brightness/contrast seems to be turned on? I just picked up one of these monitors and it's great but I can't seem to get this to turn off. I have OVD and DCR turned off. Just trying to figure out if this is a "feature" or if I have a bad unit.

upper mid rightish dead pixels.JPG

Top left dead pixels.JPG

So yea the green one was there from day one but it was off left side not very big I lived with it. Now the top image cluster of dead pixels or something in very bad spot. They offered to exchange it but I have to pay to ship it 2000 miles to Cali on my own dime....what $150 probably. Anyone thing it's worth it. If it was full 4k hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0 then maybe but a generic 4k display probably not worth the extra money.

Back