Sega Rally Revo demo

I like the fact that it's so arcade-y. Classic Sega racing, which is good because there hasn't been something like this since Outrun 2006.

Unfortunately, the game ran like shit on my 7800GTX regardless of what settings I chose... which was strange. Still picking up the PC version though because I'm building a new rig later this year and the game looks fucking good with everything cranked up, which is surprising for a Sega game.

The game runs flawlessly on my rig maxed out and looks absolutely fantastic. It looks better than Dirt....IMO. I'm definitely picking this up for the pc.

game runs fine for me on low settings =P
but still even on low settings it looks incredible. Game is fun, but it constantly crashes on me =(

I like it.
Runs surprisingly good on my ancient box. Runs better than Dirt does.
Bottom line, looked good, ran good, and I had fun playing it.
Will pick it up.

Smartest thing I did awhile back was to pick up an XBox360 controller.

Just another game I am eagerly waiting on. Sega Rally on the Dreamcast was da bomb. :)

i loved the dreamcast game, and this one looks great too. but how do i reconfigure the buttons??

This is fantastic, the graphics engine looks great instead of the absolute crap that DiRT is. I was so utterly disappointed by DiRT and it's molasses driving in a fog of overdone blurry HDR to hide it's horrendous low-resolution textures and lack of any sharpness or detail or vibrancy.

Sega Rally has always been the best. Can't wait to hook up my Shuttle to my big screen TV and rock the steering wheel.

SOOOO MUCH BETTER than DiRT. The track was bright, colorful, the textures were high resolution, everything was sharp and in focus (DiRT makes everything blurry and out of focus and muddy). I loved the mud sticking to my car. I thought the Colin McRae franchise was destroyed because of DiRT, I'm glad there's another good game to play.

A+

The graphics are very nice. Especially the water. Ambient sounds are well done too. You can hear the boars snorting. LOL
I only raced 3 times. With my best finish in 5th place. :rolleyes:

Running at 1440x900 all in game options set to high, SM3 etc... No AA or multisampling. I thought it was choppy so I checked with fraps. Once the race started, I never broke 30fps, with a lot of dips below 20. :(

Need to upgrade or lower settings. How many tracks are in the retail ?

edit: checked the official website. 6 unique environments with 16 different tracks.

i wish i could have used my logitech dual action though, i think i would have enjoyed the demo more. but i agree it looks and runs great max detail at 1680x1050

I would have enjoyed it more if the controls weren't so fucking retarded. What happened to the arrow keys?

The graphics are very nice. Especially the water. Ambient sounds are well done too. You can hear the boars snorting. LOL
I only raced 3 times. With my best finish in 5th place. :rolleyes:

Running at 1440x900 all in game options set to high, SM3 etc... No AA or multisampling. I thought it was choppy so I checked with fraps. Once the race started, I never broke 30fps, with a lot of dips below 20. :(

Need to upgrade or lower settings. How many tracks are in the retail ?

edit: checked the official website. 6 unique environments with 16 different tracks.

It's your processor.

I run it 1440x900, vsync on, 2xaa, 16xaf in drivers, SM3.0, everything maxed. It never goes below 30 with none of the slowdown in the console version. Fun game.

the only button that i could figure out was the gas A, i just drove around smashing into everything

Here are the controls I found so far:

A Gas
Z brake
, (comma) steer left
. (period) steer right

---------------------------------------------------------------

To tell you the truth, I much prefer dirt. I like the style of dirt. This feels completely artificial.

Thank God for the Logitech Profiler! Those keyboard controls are painful.

Game runs pretty decent on my system at high, 1680x1050 with 2xAA. Looks my 7900GT is still hanging in there.

One race and FRAPS gave me: Avg: 37.930 - Min: 28 - Max: 53

Game is pretty fun, there was actually two times where I completely spun out but managed to regain control after doing an entire 360. I finished way, way behind the computer though - wasn't even close.

processor would seem to be my computer's problem as well... frickin' Athlon 4000+ is such a piece of shit.

It's funny, because all my components rank between a 5.5-5.9 on the Windows Experience thing, but the processor rates a 4.2. It's really bad.

Well, I'm building a new rig later this year, so I can live a few more months like this. Sigh...

The demo was cool, nice graphics, neat racing

However when I was playing the game kept skipping, like usually the framerate was fine, but it was as if you were getting like Lag like you would in CS or WoW or something....

I believe it's just that single core that is hurting you. I've only got a 3800+ X2 but it's smooth for me.

Definately feels 'arcady' which can be good. Graphics are good, especially the mud, water and reflections.

Here's some more screen shots:

SEGARally2007-10-0102-03-24-48.jpg

SEGARally2007-10-0102-03-17-85.jpg

SEGARally2007-10-0102-03-30-34.jpg

SEGARally2007-10-0102-04-14-62.jpg

SEGARally2007-10-0102-03-33-25.jpg

Trying to use a keyboard with this game heaves chunks for sure. Wouldn't mind seeing other tracks and cars.

Runs fine with dual Opteron X2 290's and XFX 7950GT 512 Extreme SLi.

Im another thats glad i picked up a 360 controller! The game stutters at times even on my rig!, i wonder if its vista or something.

Thank God for the Logitech Profiler! Those keyboard controls are painful.

I have dl the logitech software but i am a bit ignorant on how to set up the key mapings. i looked at the the help stuff but thier sample was to make your control say hi using notepad, do u just use words like brake or accelerate for the key commands?

is there a good source that i can read to set it up?

thnx in advance

I first tried the 360 demo and find this had great potential. Of course I want to run it with a wheel and the PC version is cheaper and should have better graphics.

Anyway the last two is for certain but the lame demo doesn´t even allow for any wheels. So incredible crappy. the 360 demo had two stages and two of the premier cars instead of the golf crap.

Anyway suspecting a lame console port I just had to try a full version to see if it even works... Tried a couple of versions. Yes you can choose the wheel and remap controls. I tried several releases they all hard crashed my computer after some minutes if even that long. I recently found a better release where my G25 actually worked. Managed to run a full race with it until I got the million colours hard lock like when you video card is totally busted... However the video card is fine.

So here I am having no idea if the retail version works better then the pirate copies... And since pirate copies is just that you never know what version they run and you can´t patch them I can´t know if it does work. So is anyone here having Sega Rally Revo with a wheel, preferrable G25 and maybe an 8800 as well and got it working properly?

I really want the PC version since it looked gourgeous and with some tweaking of steering lock I think I may be able to race the AI with the wheel even though I suspect a gamepad is faster. Was planning to do some time attack to check this but obviously it won´t happen :(.

The demo did run fine from what I recall but then. If I run without the wheel the game tended to crash less on the pirate copies as well.

And just to make sure I have every intention of buying the game if it works but since you cant return games you opened and the lack of a proper demo I have been forced to this.

Is there any way to get a ps2 controller through the radio shack adapter to work on this demo?

ps 2 controller is aweful buy the 360 controller and never look back :)

Seriously, I'm a big racing game fan, I have practically all of them installed on my computer and while I own a Logitech Momo wheel, pedals, shifter, etc...trust me, nothing is better for control in racing games than a keyboard. A wheel is just a handicap that makes the game more immersive/fun with better tactile feedback and even force effects but it'll never give you the precise control of using the keyboard.

I completely agree!

the 360 controller works great 'n all. I also use it to play Moto GP 07 on the PC. However, there are problems with my USB headphones (plantronics DSP 500) with the 360 controller plugged in. I get static and pops. I have to unplug the 360 controller and reboot to get things working right again.

This demo seems a little iffy.

If I use hardware sound I get a bunch of pops and clicks, which sucks. It seems to freeze up during the load a lot, sometimes it only takes a few seconds, sometimes I'm waiting a minute.

Then there's the SLi support, which seems totally borked. When you start the game and it's showing off the track, the load balancing bar is nearly maxed out and everything seems smooth, but as soon as you actually start the race it drops all the way to the middle and looks like it's barely using the second card.

On top of all of this the game will randomly lock up every now and then, causing me to lose control of my car for a half a second.

It seems like a fun game, but the performance issues are killing it for me.

fun game, I like it more than DiRT, and it sure runs better too

at 1680x1050, everything set to custom max, 8xQ AA I average 40-50fps

Seriously, I'm a big racing game fan, I have practically all of them installed on my computer and while I own a Logitech Momo wheel, pedals, shifter, etc...trust me, nothing is better for control in racing games than a keyboard. A wheel is just a handicap that makes the game more immersive/fun with better tactile feedback and even force effects but it'll never give you the precise control of using the keyboard.

Agreed. I tried using a wheel in TDU but my times were worse and I kept spinning out. However with some configuration a wheel is much more fun just driving around and stuff.

arcade titles like this yes but I would say for sure a gamepad is better then keyboard for this game.

A gamepad is for sure faster then a wheel. At least now in the learning phase because the ease of correcting slides and getting full lock fast. However it´s easier to follow the correct line with the wheel and it´s very important in this particular game. So I wonder if in the end there won´t be that much of a difference. Still I think gamepads does have an advantage especially with other cars on the road.

But keyboard there is nothing precise in that. It´s all or nothing and nothing in between. So it´s wrong to call it precise. Say sensitive instead. 100 % lock in one ms :)

Though this depends on how they programme it of course. It´s not impossible that you actually achieve full lock faster with a gamepad. Not driven that much but I can say for sure it´s slower both then gamepad and wheel. I have the G25 and I have it at 140 degrees. It gives me 3 seconds over having the wheel at 240 which is the default of the momo racing I think. Or it may even be 270...

Maybe I should try something silly like 90 degrees. Then it practically becomes a gamepad lol.

As you see I got it running. Obviously this game pulls huuuuuge strains on the video card. So I am definiatly getting this :)

Agreed. I tried using a wheel in TDU but my times were worse and I kept spinning out. However with some configuration a wheel is much more fun just driving around and stuff.

without aids the wheel is much easier in TDU. It still have a problem with the low polygon count on the roads which make your car loose contact with the ground all the time... Really to bad because it´s otherwise a damn awesome game. Especially with the G25 with the H-shifter and clutch pedal :)

I do generally always drive with wheel even in arcade titles. I don´t care if it´s slower I race for fun not being the best :).

Even in Ridge Racer 6 and man do you gain time running with gamepad in that title. However you really need wheels like DFP and G25 so you can reduce steering lock. G25 is even better because you can run even less steering lock then the DFP. As mentioned above even 200 is much for many arcade games like this, outrun, ridge racer among others. The less steering lock the more direct steering just like gamepads :)

GTR2...you honestly think it's better w/ the keyboard? Let's race sometime then, eh? :cool:

Great game. Uses dual cores at 98%, runs at 1920x1200 smooth on a 8800gts 640mb. So I would say a pretty optimised game.

Wonder how this game scales with quad cores. Someone with a quad core post the utilisation!

game runs fine for me on low settings =P
but still even on low settings it looks incredible. Game is fun, but it constantly crashes on me =(

Try disabling hardware sound (it's off by default).

I had the demo crash (BSOD) every time at a certain corner until I changed the audio to software mode. Probably a fault of Creative's drivers (what a surprise). Audigy4 oem here, so just a heads up.

Yeah, liked this demo alot. Got first place at my 3rd go. Really good fun though. Personally I've never liked 'professional' realistic rally games. Realistic street racers like project gotham are good, but it's never worked for me with rally games. This one seems to have just the right balance of arcadey/still requires skill/learning to play.

Def might get it if the price is reasonable. Good ole Sega. :cool:

And yeah, having a 360 controller makes life so much easier. So nice to have it just work and navigate the menus etc just like it would on the xbox.

Back