Seems like I will need a new water pump soon. Recommendations?

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
Old Thermaltake Pacific is making noise and I see bits of cruft in the fluid. Suspect I either have a cleaning or replacement in my future. What are folks using these days for a high flow, quiet water pump? Will be dealing with about 350W or so, assuming they ever get around to releasing the new threadrippers to us.

D5 and DDC variants are the favorite. D5 are bulkier, have less head pressure, higher max flow, quieter, and generally longer lifespan than the DDCs. If one pump isn't enough, multiple pumps can be added in series.

The number of pumps needed are dependent on the number of components in the loop and the level of redundancy you want. 2 pumps in series can continue operating at reduced flow should one pump fail.

I've got a D5 that has been running since 2017 - that has been a solid, trouble free rig. The only thing on the loops are the CPU... though had the zombie apocalypses prices may be over, who knows. Appreciate the input.

I've been using EK branded D5 PWM pumps in my system for many years now. Most of mine are second gen (G2) but I also have a third gen G3. (Biggest difference in the third gen is a replacement of the old school 4-pin moles with a newer SATA connector for power.) I keep them at slow speeds when at low loads, and they are damn near imperceptible.

They can be made to be quiet at full speeds too, but it takes a little bit of mounting ingenuity to isolate the vibrations from the case, and YMMV.

Keep in mind, the pump motors are sold separately. They will need to be paired with an appropriate top. Any top designed for D5 pumps will fit. It does not need to be an EK branded part.

I had a D5 from 2009 that's been running at least 8 hours a day since I got it in 2012. It finally gave up end of last year. D5 pumps last a very long time. I don't think your 2017 D5 pump needs replacing anytime soon. You can add to it if you choose to expand, but even a single D5 pump can comfotably run a CPU + GPU + 2 radiator system, depending on the blocks and radiators chosen. Most modern blocks and radiators are fairly low restriction so flow rates are rarely an issue.

I recommend the EK D5 . It's quiet and strong. I love it. I have 3 rads 2 blocks all on this 1 EK D5 running at like 20% easily.

I like the variable D5s over pwm and usually xspc is cheap so I have a few of those I haven't had an issue with.

I like the variable D5s over pwm and usually xspc is cheap so I have a few of those I haven't had an issue with.
I like hte ability to adjust pump speed based on temps, so I always go with PWM's. The vario's usually just have 1 through 5 static speed settings.

I like hte ability to adjust pump speed based on temps, so I always go with PWM's. The vario's usually just have 1 through 5 static speed settings.
Yeah they aren't fixed adjustments but a range but I get that, I prefer a constant noise from my PC rather than ramping and quieting that is horrendous to me.

Yeah they aren't fixed adjustments but a range but I get that, I prefer a constant noise from my PC rather than ramping and quieting that is horrendous to me.
Yea a nice slooooow ramp upwards unnoticeable is good 😊

Eventually would like a couple of aquacomputer D5s to use with aquasuite.

I bought my EK pumps before I bought my Aquaeros, so I just connect them as fans and control them via PWM, which seems to work well.

The pumps get their power via a separate connector, so there is no worry about overloadingthe aquaero. Only the RPM and PWM pins are connected to the Aquaero.

I bought my EK pumps before I bought my Aquaeros, so I just connect them as fans and control them via PWM, which seems to work well.

The pumps get their power via a separate connector, so there is no worry about overloadingthe aquaero. Only the RPM and PWM pins are connected to the Aquaero.
Honestly it's really hard to go wrong with any D5 nowadays. The tops seem to matter more, but mine would be plugging into the dual d5 top I got from....alphacool I think.

Isnt the D5 made all by 1 company anyway? Cant recall but somewhere European.
I have 3 Swiftech D5 varios, maybe 12 or 13 years old, all humming along just fine.
I use a Bitspower top on all of them.

Isnt the D5 made all by 1 company anyway? Cant recall but somewhere European.
I have 3 Swiftech D5 varios, maybe 12 or 13 years old, all humming along just fine.
I use a Bitspower top on all of them.
D5s and DDCs are Laing branded, which are made by Xylem and is apparently American.

AFAIK, there is only one off-brand D5 and that is the Alphacool VPP755. Review here: https://www.xtremerigs.net/2016/10/31/alphacool-eispumpe-vpp755-pump-review/

I got two VPP755s at the end of last year after one of my D5s died and have been generally pleased with them.

I looked. All 3 of my D5s are Swiftech and are/were made in Hungary.
I think thats the OEM.

I looked. All 3 of my D5s are Swiftech and are/were made in Hungary.
I think thats the OEM.
Swiftech just puts their sticker on them. They are Laing built pumps. Very solid. Swiftech pumps are getting harder and harder to find since they um, rebooted. The other two divisions are Xylem (like Tsumi mentioned) and Lowara. The Laing, Lowara or Xylem brand depends on where in the world its built and sold. BUT I haven't seen many new Lowara pumps for a while. They used to build EKs pumps exclusively but I can't say if that's true anymore. If you get one built by any of those three divisions your golden. It's the $30 Chinesium knockoffs you have to be wary of. The quality of materials and workmanship are nothing like Laing.

I've got DDC pumps that are over a decade old that still work. I've also run D5's as well. I only killed one of those.

Back