SecuROM DRM: Who Has *Actually* Been Affected?

Thats a real adult way of thinking, planning ahead and having some foresight, you dont buy a car that the manufacturer can flip a kill switch on at any time, because it doesn't matter why or when it happens, all that matter is that they shouldn't have that power over you in the first place.

You have obviously never heard of OnStar, which is included on many new cars in this day and age.

You still. If they are using illegitimate software, they deserve that. That's an ideal condition actually.

When MS introduced WGA it had a high level of misidentification rate. Their servers have also gone down in the past screwing over their honest customers. The whole topic is about people affected by DRM, because it's not reliable. I guarantee MS will be sued over this, again.

When MS introduced WGA it had a high level of misidentification rate. Their servers have also gone down in the past screwing over their honest customers. The whole topic is about people affected by DRM, because it's not reliable. I guarantee MS will be sued over this, again.

same feel over DRM...

but if anyone is about to sue them now, I am in ....

I am actually surprised that these publishers have not been sued, especially here in Australia, for misleading and deceptive conduct for failing to disclose up front on the packaging of these products that there is a limitation on the number of times you can install the product.

Is probably only a matter of time.

Yeah, I have been materially affected by Securom in two ways.

1. When the first few games came out with it, it wouldn't work at all because my poor 8x CDrom wasn't technically able to do whatever the hell Securom needed it to do and kept yelling at me for having an illegal copy.

2. Later in life, I started ripping everything I had to ISO so that I wouldn't have to keep tabs of every disk and had a DB of all my keys. Yeah, I had 2 TB of storage a few years ago. I've been cutting back on expanding, but my personal home desktop has 4 TB of storage now. For most productivity apps, this wasn't a problem. Games with all their security, hated it. Securom hated it even more and wouldn't allow programs to run even when I had the disk in the drive because I had that nasty evil pirate program Alcohol 120% installed, and for no other reason.

Oh, and people complaining about it causing drive damage, that was more likely Starforce.

Back