• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Secondary computer build

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
4,812
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Computer is going to be a secondary computer for when I am home from school. I am just looking to do everyday stuff and playing games.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$250 to $350 with tax + shipping. Looking to keep the cost on the lower spectrum.
3) Where do you live?
Massachusetts.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, MB (must be mATX), and PSU.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a 250GB WD HDD, Lian Li PC-V350 (mATX case), DVD drive and an ATI 4670.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I have my old 19 inch monitor @ 1280x1024.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I do not need anything fancy.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I have a Windows Vista 32-bit laying around I can use.

This a computer I will use on the weekends when I come home from college. I have a laptop right now, but it does not cut it when it comes to gaming. I would like to have something that can at least play games even on default settings.

I need a PSU for this build. I was considering just swapping my Thermaltake 600W into this new computer and buying a new one for my main computer. The purpose being that the one I have new is going to be 3 years old and if I want to get a higher end video card do not want to be held back. Would this PSU have trouble handling say a 5870 and a overclocked 955?

Here is what I was looking so far:

MSI 880G
AMD AII 240
OCZ 2X2GB DDR3
Antec 500W

Comes to $279 shipped after a $20 MIR through OCZ.
 
You can go ahead and reuse that Thermaltake. It's of pretty decent quality and will be more than enough power for a HD 5870 and an OC'd Phenom II 955. It would certainly be a better choice than that Antec 500W PSU which will not be e nough for a HD 5870 and a non-OC'd Phenom II 955

I recommend this RAM over the OCZ since OCZ tends to have more compatibility and QA issues than some of the other RAM manufacturers we recommend around here:
$75 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM

It's only $10 more than the OCZ once you factor in the rebate.

Since you don't need to get a new PSU at all, that free up quite a bit of cash:
$196 - AMD Phenom II X4 945 CPU + Asus M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Combo

If you need to save some cash:
$149 - AMD Athlon II X4 630 CPU + MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX Motherboard Combo
 
I am sorry, Dan. I didn't make that PSU point good enough. I have that Thermaltake PSU in my computer right now that I am using. I was going to swap it into this secondary build if people thought I should invest in a higher quality PSU for my current main computer I use at school. Either I would buy a good enough PSU for this second build or put the Thermaltake in the secondary and get a upgraded one for my main computer.
 
Ahh OK.

Well some modications can still be made:

- Go with this PSU instead:
$60 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

$5 cheaper than the Earthwatts but of significantly higher quality. In addition, there's a promo code for that PSU right now that knocks off an additional $10 that ends 9/22: EMCYXZT25

- Do you haev a spare HSF for that X2 240? The X2 240 you linked to does not come with a HSF.
 
I'll go with that ram and psu you recommended instead. Do you think that MSI motherboard I was looking at is good? This 880G Asrock is 15 bucks cheaper too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199.

The MSI is a good motherboard. That Asrock only has two RAM slots. MSI is a tad more reputable than Asrock IMO.

Do note however that for the same price as the X2 240 + MSI mobo, you can get the slightly faster X2 250 with HSF for the same price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.480339
 
Thanks for the combo! I'll go with that instead. Thanks for all the help.
 
Just placed the order. Came to $250.96. Perfect! I'll post pics when I get around to doing the build.
 
Its alive! :D

The putting together of the computer and install of Vista went perfectly. It just took me about 30 minutes to find my old hard drive :(. Everything is running beautifully and I am downloading the games I'll be playing now as well. I am just happy to have a working computer while I am home from college that can play games! 250 dollars well spent if you ask me. Thanks for the help again Danny Bui

Final rig specs:
AMD Athlon X2 II 250
MSI 880G mATX
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333
Sapphire ATI 4670 512MB DDR3
160GB WD HDD (Will suffice for now)
Antec NEO ECO 520W PSU
Windows Vista Business 32-bit
Lian Li PC-V350

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality came off my old Motorla Q9.

img139.jpg

img133.jpg

img134.jpg

img135.jpg

img136.jpg

img137.jpg

img138.jpg
 
Thanks. First time I have had Octoberfest (Turned 21 back in January). I am enjoying it a lot.
 
Back
Top