Second Opinions For My Next Case...

Mr. Bluntman

Supreme [H]ardness
In the next month I will be upgrading to a X2 6400 125W processor, and an 8800GT 512MB - both are known for running very hot - and my current case I feel won't cut the mustard for ventilation:

INSMID-ATX-CASE-3.jpg

INSMID-ATX-CASE.jpg

It has a 92mm exhaust and screw holes for a 92mm in the front, but the grille can accomidate a 120mm fan if you use zip ties, which is what I've done. :p

Also my PSU has a 120mm fan as well, but I'd rather not rely on that too much for exhaust for obvious reasons of longevity and fan noise.

I've been looking at an hec Compucase or this this particular Enlight.

Both are about all I can afford. Comments or suggestions for a better case for a similar price, +/- $10?

EDIT: I will instead, if neccesary, sell my existing motherboard, and CPU to go towards a purchase of an E6750 or E8400 once the price drops. I've realized that it's pointless to toss in a CPU that's only $15 less than a E6750, and still falls short of it more often than not, while consuming 60W more. And I could easily buy a MSI P6N SLI Platinum, a stellar 650i SLI motherboard for what I could get out of my old CPU and motherboard. But I'd still like a better case with improved ventilation and cable management regardless...

Best case for you is probably the Coolermaster RC-690. Until the Centurion 590 comes out, this is pretty much the best case under $100.

Sundialmicro also has some older Cooler Master ATCS cases, such as the ATC-710 for 76 bucks. a steal at that price especially for the quality you're getting. Also you might want to look at some of Silverstone's budget cases: Kublai series, and the TJ02/04

Best case for you is probably the Coolermaster RC-690. Until the Centurion 590 comes out, this is pretty much the best case under $100.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's about $20 outside of my budget, but I will definately keep my eyes peeled for MIR's or instant rebates on this puppy.

Or wait until the Centurion 590 hits... :p

Thanks for the suggestion. It's about $20 outside of my budget, but I will definately keep my eyes peeled for MIR's or instant rebates on this puppy.

Anything else that's within my budget, and preferably within my price range?

Cooler Master Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $35
Cooler Master Centurion 534 ATX Case - $50
Cooler Master Centurion 532 ATX Case - $55

Oh and the CM 690 can be found for cheaper here:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=CA...4841aece8bacf18ed585af1e9705d8e1dbe0cc138abf3

But shipping might be a little bit too much for you depending on where you live.

Or wait until the Centurion 590 hits... :p

Check the Hot Deals forum, lately there have been a ton of deals on the 690. If you're a little patient, I'm sure you'll find a deal that fits into your budget.

PS: Avoid the RC-330. It's a terrible case.

I also noticed the black/silver Centurion 534, and except for the I/O ports not being behind a cover or on the side (nitpicks), it seems to have good airflow potential, and the best part is that the price is right! :D

And Danny, the shipping at eWiz was the killer, it was almost $45 for UPS Ground, for chrissake! :eek:

But I still have time before I'm ready to buy, so I'm still going to keep my options open.

Sundialmicro also has some older Cooler Master ATCS cases, such as the ATC-710 for 76 bucks. a steal at that price especially for the quality you're getting. Also you might want to look at some of Silverstone's budget cases: Kublai series, and the TJ02/04

Sweet. Thanks NV, I'm going to go check that out.

EDIT: The TJ04 is sweet, but $130 for a case cuts into my cash for an 8800GT. :(

No problem. Like I said before the ATC-710 is a very solid, and may I say gorgeous case, and although you're looking at an older 2x2 80mm fan setup, I can attest to the fact that it can easily cool and sli rig (I own one). Heck, I'm running my current computer in an ATC-220 which only has 2x80mm exhaust fans, and I'm still able to overclock and run my system at reasonable temperatures. Also, I understand you don't want spend more then a certain amount of money, but when you get a high quality case such as a Silverstone or a cm ATCS (new CM stuff is craptastic) the adage that "you get what you pay" certainly applies. These are just beautifully designed and absolutely solid cases, and I can truly say that I will never go back to case that uses plastic... ever.

No problem. Like I said before the ATC-710 is a very solid, and may I say gorgeous case, and although you're looking at an older 2x2 80mm fan setup, I can attest to the fact that it can easily cool and sli rig (I own one). Heck, I'm running my current computer in an ATC-220 which only has 2x80mm exhaust fans, and I'm still able to overclock and run my system at reasonable temperatures. Also, I understand you don't want spend more then a certain amount of money, but when you get a high quality case such as a Silverstone or a cm ATCS (new CM stuff is craptastic) the adage that "you get what you pay" certainly applies. These are just beautifully designed and absolutely solid cases, and I can truly say that I will never go back to case that uses plastic... ever.

I agree with that adage wholehartedly. But on the flipside, I refuse to skim on CPU and GPU. I'm sick of upgrading every six months in piecemeal. It's time for any upgrades I do to last at least a year. That ATC reminds me of an old Chen-Ming tower case I had my old Athlon XP 2400 and Ti4200 in, and will definately grab one if I can find somewhere that doesn't charge eBay rates on shipping. :p

*goes back to drooling over the Silverstone TJ04*

Judging by your sig it looks like you already have a pretty solid system to begin with, I'm sure if you look around you can find the TJ04 for under 100 bucks. Also, sundial is the only place that sells the ATC-710, other places sell ATC-200 series cases but no 100 series or 700 series.

it seems to have good airflow potential, and the best part is that the price is right! :D

EVERY case has good airflow potential. All it takes is cutting giant holes in it and putting giant fans in the holes. Sounds like you're looking for something that has good airflow at stock though, unless you're into cutting giants holes... I used to be, but I got older and would just rather spend a little more.

Judging by your sig it looks like you already have a pretty solid system to begin with, I'm sure if you look around you can find the TJ04 for under 100 bucks. Also, sundial is the only place that sells the ATC-710, other places sell ATC-200 series cases but no 100 series or 700 series.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try just the 8800GT first, and if I'm satisfied with the performance with that, I'll just roll with that until I can save for a 45nm based Phenom or Core 2 setup, and go ahead and order that sexy TJ04. If not, I will have to either toss in that 125W egg fryer and make due with my previous budget, or better yet, try and sell my motherboard and existing CPU and grab a C2D and according motherboard, which, I think, may actually be a smarter move?

EVERY case has good airflow potential. All it takes is cutting giant holes in it and putting giant fans in the holes. Sounds like you're looking for something that has good airflow at stock though, unless you're into cutting giants holes... I used to be, but I got older and would just rather spend a little more.

Yeah, I'm looking for something stock. I'm not quite into the "dremeling" thing just yet. Maybe when I have the spare change to experiment first.

I would OC that cpu, pick up one 8800GT (they're like 200 now on newegg, after MIR) and pick up a nice high quality Silverstone case. Also, the TJ02 is almost identical to the 04 except it is silver and has a different bezel design, both have a nearly identical interior setups though. Just to give you some other suggestions.

isnt that the vpr branded case? so old... i remembered bestbuy carrying their computers

Back