SEC Charges Tesla CEO Elon Musk with Fraud for Irresponsible Social Media Posts

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Sep 27, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Social media darling and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been charged with fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for a series of tweets in which he announced "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured." He later said that he was in talks with the Saudis to fund a bid to go private. They have accused him of picking the $420 stock price as a marijuana reference to amuse his girlfriend, making "false and misleading" statements, and a failure to notify regulators of material company events. They also allege that the affable CEO didn't notify Tesla executives as texts from higher ups in the company showed complete and utter surprise at Musk's announcement. The lawsuit can be read here.

"A chairman and CEO of a public company has important responsibilities to shareholders," Stephanie Avakian, co-director of the SEC's division of enforcement, said during the press conference. "Those responsibilities include the need to be scrupulous and careful about the truth and accuracy of statements made to the investing public, whether those statements are made in traditional forms such as a press release or an earnings call or through less formal methods such as Twitter or other social media." "Neither celebrity status, nor reputation as a technological innovator provide an exemption from the federal securities laws," she said.

2. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

It's like a room full of people, giving a press conference, that haven't gotten laid in two decades causing a complete loss of any sense of humor she might have originally had. What's clearly intended as a joke on twitter, is now considered fraud. Really? It's almost like they want to take down a visionary for any reason possible because he's threatening big oil or some monopoly.

JosiahBradley, Ur_Mom, Mut1ny and 3 others like this.
  3. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

They don't have enough to make anything substantial stick, they will find a bit of circumstantial evidence but nothing concrete.

PaulP, cyclone3d and tikiman2012 like this.
  4. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

The big 3 have done a pretty good job of keeping any other American auto company from ever happening. Musk is on a lot of shit lists so really not surprised at some sort of action here since he was flying off the handle on the tweeter. We are getting most every major auto maker now working on electric vehicles. Tesla’s successes pushed everyone to get in sooner I feel.

Ur_Mom, JoeRChillin, ManofGod and 3 others like this.
  5. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

Pick up hand full of shit

Throw at wall

Hope something sticks

Patton187, PaulP, JoeRChillin and 5 others like this.
  6. alamox

alamox Gawd

seriously ? is SEC looking for media coverage ? because these charges are BS

7. zehoo

zehoo Limp Gawd

What he said must have screwed up some of the trading companies that use algorithms to buy and sell shares automatically. The server not realising that this was a joke probably went and lost a few companies a fair amount of money before a human stepped in to cease the automatic trades.

They're probably just using their bought and paid for friends at the SEC to get some revenge.

DrLobotomy likes this.
  8. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Maybe Taylor Mason's AI messed up and she lost the cray cray Russian Killer Billionaire's money so she was all like "eeeK! Mcfee call the SEC! I will go eat some noodles and hope my alternate lifestyle look will protect me!"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JoeRChillin likes this.
  9. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

Wow. I dunno, he's obviously guilty of what they are charging him with. I enjoy hubris at that level, although I'm sure many don't. ;)

10. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Did Elon forget to pay his bribes this month ?

yeah day-traders probably need to get a little disruption onto their algorithms. :)

PS. i am not a fan of Elon, though i think space X are pretty darn cool.

11. Devastadus

Devastadus [H]Lite

I find it hilarious and sad a 9 word tweet is fraud now. The stock market is a gamble in the first place it used to be looking at charts, sales and predictions to figure out what a stock was worth.

I remember around 2008 Steve jobs coughing a few times at a keynote and the stock dropping is that fraud? Hell Trump tweets a bunch of crazy stuff true or not and it shifts the stock market one around, is that fraud as well? Jeff Bezos warren buffett and bill gates have a meeting on Healthcare and healthcare stocks tank is that fraud now? Any powerful person can do the tinniest thing and Shareholders are so twitchy even the tinyest shift of the wind can greatly impact stocks. Now people cry foul when a unforeseen circumstance shifts the market because they lose money it is pathetic.

DrLobotomy, PaulP, cyclone3d and 2 others like this.
  12. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

I just have to laugh!

Since The Trump machine, tweets are not consider truth anymore. Whos going after the President? I'll bet he uses the "Trump" defence. :)

FreeLow, haste., clockdogg and 4 others like this.
  13. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

So the SEC is going to prove that tweets are cause for lawsuits now? Huh.

something something Trump something twitter rants something lawsuits something ? Just mumbling out loud

Yep that could work. Twitter is for entertainment purposes only and cannot be used as a basis for lawsuits or as evidence in court. I would say if I was a lawyer, which I am certainly not.

Jim Kim likes this.
  14. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

15. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

alxlwson likes this.
  16. Prisoner849

Prisoner849 Gawd

Fuck 'em. This one's for Elon...

pendragon1 likes this.
  17. emphy

emphy Limp Gawd

Lying through the teeth does not amuse shareholders, whoddathunkit?

Nytegard, hawkeye_wx and phawkins633 like this.
  18. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

that's turning into the standard mo for some...

PaulP, cyclone3d and Master_shake_ like this.
  19. He's quickly becoming Tucker. He will fail just short of the finish line. But the shit he is doing is f'n stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker_48

TheHig likes this.
  20. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Oh look the guy opposing several mega-international conglomerates has governments hounding him.

Democracy has a way to deal with this right? Right?

21. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

I can't take him seriously until he shaves. If you can't grow a real beard just shave every day. Some men need to give it up, stop trying, let it go, you don't look cool or hip or whatever with that weedy looking beard. Next thing he'll have a man bun

22. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Except for that pesky part where in public filings with the SEC they listed social media as one of their official communication channels.....ooops

phillyboy, DF-1, LodeRunner and 6 others like this.
  23. Unter Dog

Unter Dog Limp Gawd

SEC is just a Pedo

DF-1 and Krazy925 like this.
  24. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Someone smoking pot and making dumb statements. whoddathunkit?

25. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

I guess Einstein also falls into that accurate, assumptive stereotype too?

DrLobotomy likes this.
  26. OpenSource

OpenSource Gawd

Oh cool, SEC goes after tweets but surely won't investigate CEOs dumping stock before companies have massive losses.

I don't care that they're going after Elon, but I do care that they let so much other real questionable behaviors slide without flinching.

27. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

LOL @ shitty ass Elon Musk.

28. Cmdrmonkey

Cmdrmonkey Gawd

Elon is such a dudebro

Even with his billions of dollars he’s still just a weed smoking dudebro at heart.

cyclone3d likes this.
  29. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Shit I'm gonna be buying a Model 3 soon. Fuck it. I'm an Elon fan. Still gonna buy it.

30. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

I guarantee you the vast majority of stockholders want him to remain as CEO.

31. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Tesla would have shut is doors after the production of its first prototype if it was commanded by your typical quarter to quarter visionless American CEO.

Cerulean, PaulP and BitMaster like this.
  32. BitMaster

BitMaster Limp Gawd

I like Elon and I would share my last spliff with him ;)

420 Elon !

DrLobotomy and motqalden like this.
  33. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

Didn't he use his private account & not the official Tesla account? Wouldn't someone posting their thoughts & ambitions on their private Twitter account fall under Free Speech? If he had used Tesla's official Twitter account then I could understand it, but he didn't.

DrLobotomy likes this.
  34. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

Are you kidding me? He’s the CEO of a publicly traded company a clearly violated SEC rules. A lot of people traded the stock based on that information, and financial analysts speculated for a while after the tweet over whether or not it was true. It was all over the financial news. A lot of people would have lost money as a direct result of this. There was no indication anywhere of “lol, jk” within the tweet, and even if there was, he’s a CEO of a major publicly traded company and should probably act like one when he’s in public.

35. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

Did Einstein for certain smoke weed? Regardless, I roll my eyes at marijuana defenders who point to this or that brilliant person who smoked, as if to imply that they were geniuses because of weed, not despite it. Marijuana did not give us E=mc2, I assure you.

For the record, I support marijuana's full legalization, but that doesn't mean I don't take a dim view of those who regularly smoke it outside of medical reasons. If you depend on marijuana to relax, have a good time, or to attain insights you're otherwise blind to, then that's a weakness.

auntjemima likes this.
  36. aokman

aokman Gawd

I wish people would just fk off and let Elon do his thing. Think you can do better? Prove it.

PaulP likes this.
  37. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai Death Incarnate

he could have kept his wits about him but nope.. he got bit by the dumbass bug and now he is on a long downward slide....

38. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Twitter is not a press release platform. Posting something there is as good as saying something off hand in a small crowd. Is that considered fraud now? Because then I'm constantly engaged in fraud when jokingly talking to friends.

39. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Yeah, I remember the good old days, just jokingly talking in a "small crowd" of 22.7 million of my friends...

Crackinjahcs, auntjemima and DF-1 like this.
  40. DrBorg

DrBorg Gawd

The SEC just filed this so they could cover their short positions, lol.