Seasonic X750 vs Corsair CX750M

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
I presently have a CX750M performing flawlessly. Is there any reason to upgrade/side grade to a Seasonic X750?

I wouldn't go so far as "a massive upgrade", but the the Seasonic definitely has tighter voltage control and efficiency rating!

Corsairs CX stuff is like their left over piece of crap stuff they salvaged together and called it a PSU. Unless it's AX, HX and maybe TX and RM series, it's most likely garbage.

That being said. It's a massive upgrade to the Seasonic.

4790k at stock speed, light water cooling, couple of drives and a 270x

You don't need anywhere near 750 watts. While upgrading to the Seasonic would be a massive upgrade in every PSU performance department, it would net you nothing with your current hardware.

I don't need it anywhere "yet". Future upgrades could utilize it.

I've never had an issue with the CX line. Good inexpensive PS for what it is.

So you're doing to going to be doing Crossfire down the line with R9 290 cards or higher then? Because even with R9 270 Crossfire, 750W is still quite a bit overkill. In fact, you could go with GTX 970 SLI, R9 290 CFX, or GTX 780 SLI and still be well under 650W:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review/10#.VOKn6vnF-0c
The lower-end CX430 is fine. The non-modular CX750 was recently shown to be a shitty power supply:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/

So yeah, I would recommend a PSU replacement.

Yeah, lots of people say that. But unless they're already on a top tier card, they are very, very unlikely to upgrade to a dual top tier GPU system. And that is the only normal consumer system that would warrant using a 750 watt power supply. You aren't even a 2nd tier GPU. You're on the 3rd tier of an outdated generation. Unless you plan to do SLI/crossfire older generation top tier cards, in which case you wouldn't be on a 270X right now, you would be on 6970s or 580s.

If you had real plans for going dual top tier cards, and are currently actively budgeting/setting aside money for it, budget some money to get a X750 (or similar). If it's just a faraway dream... don't even bother thinking about getting a top tier 750 watt power supply.

Corsairs CX stuff is like their left over piece of crap stuff they salvaged together and called it a PSU. Unless it's AX, HX and maybe TX and RM series, it's most likely garbage.

That being said. It's a massive upgrade to the Seasonic.

I believe that this is not the case with the CX series, it is far from terrible. Yes, it does not have the same quality like the AX or the HX. It may not be as popular like the TX or the RM. And obviously, they are not well regarded within the enthusiast communities. But the CX is the one PSU line that sells the most with very minimal return rate.

It's not a secret that the CX is an entry level PSU, but we also know that it gets the job done and they are pretty reliable for its purpose. Like what the OP stated, his CX unit has been "performing flawlessly". That itself is already a proof that it is not just some left over crap put together and call it PSU.

The idea originally was to SLI two 560Ti cards, so that coupled with the hardware (I calculated about 400w in total when all would have been done) I had at that time and a a good deal on a 750w PS warranted the wattage level I chose.

Dangman, I have the modular design. I have made my decision. Thank you all for the input.

The idea originally was to SLI two 560Ti cards, so that coupled with the hardware (I calculated about 400w in total when all would have been done) I had at that time and a a good deal on a 750w PS warranted the wattage level I chose.

Dangman, I have the modular design. I have made my decision. Thank you all for the input.

The modular design is identical to the non-modular besides the modularity.

SLI 560ti would have warranted a 650 watt PSU, at most. 550 would have been more than sufficient.

You also just proved my point. You plan for it, and end up doing something else. Meaning you were just dreaming.

So you're doing to going to be doing Crossfire down the line with R9 290 cards or higher then? Because even with R9 270 Crossfire, 750W is still quite a bit overkill. In fact, you could go with GTX 970 SLI, R9 290 CFX, or GTX 780 SLI and still be well under 650W:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review/10#.VOKn6vnF-0c

The lower-end CX430 is fine. The non-modular CX750 was recently shown to be a shitty power supply:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/

So yeah, I would recommend a PSU replacement.

The modular design is identical to the non-modular besides the modularity.

SLI 560ti would have warranted a 650 watt PSU, at most. 550 would have been more than sufficient.

You also just proved my point. You plan for it, and end up doing something else. Meaning you were just dreaming.

Dreaming, perhaps. It's far easier for me to justify the cost of the higher end PS and never to use it than have to buy a higher powered one later. Thus purchasing two power supplies.

And that $30-50 you spent extra could have been used to go from a 270X to a 280 or 280X. But hey, your money, your choice.

It's not a secret that the CX is an entry level PSU, but we also know that it gets the job done and they are pretty reliable for its purpose. Like what the OP stated, his CX unit has been "performing flawlessly". That itself is already a proof that it is not just some left over crap put together and call it PSU.

Since:
"It's not a secret that the CX is an entry level PSU"
, can you explain me what is the purpose of the CX750 PSU, because really, i can't find any!!
1)Since it's an entry level PSU, with low quality components (*capacitors for example), it's obviously not suited for gamers that need up to 750watt, meaning systems with SLI/Crossfire setups.
2)For just a home office PC, also it's obviously not suited, because for such a PC, a 750watt PSU is overkill.
So what is the reason of this PSU's existence? :confused:

Since: , can you explain me what is the purpose of the CX750 PSU, because really, i can't find any!!
1)Since it's an entry level PSU, with low quality components (*capacitors for example), it's obviously not suited for gamers that need up to 750watt, meaning systems with SLI/Crossfire setups.
2)For just a home office PC, also it's obviously not suited, because for such a PC, a 750watt PSU is overkill.

It's cheap. It is probably sufficient for a peak load of approximately 550W, which is enough to power quite a bit of hardware. It is modular. Did I mention that it is cheap? I've seen these as low as $35 after rebate.

No one is arguing that it is a great PSU and most [H] enthusiasts probably will not put one in their rig. With that being said, it occupies a niche in the market that would otherwise be filled exclusively by the likes of RaidMax, Diablotek, Logisys, CoolerMaster, or any number of other manufacturers with even more over-exaggerated specs on the box. People will buy it because of the price and a lot of them will probably never run enough hardware on it for it to be a major problem.

Since: , can you explain me what is the purpose of the CX750 PSU, because really, i can't find any!!

because I spent $60 on a decent name psu with a warranty. When I needed it, there were no good deals to pick from so I was stuck at retail for the most part.
sure I'll never use the 750 watts, but knowing that this PSU isn't all that great, I would rather go into overkill range so I'm not beating it up. I may only need 550, but the 750 when I bought it was the same price...so why not buy a little breathing room for the psu?

It's cheap. It is probably sufficient for a peak load of approximately 550W, which is enough to power quite a bit of hardware. It is modular. Did I mention that it is cheap? I've seen these as low as $35 after rebate.

No one is arguing that it is a great PSU and most [H] enthusiasts probably will not put one in their rig. With that being said, it occupies a niche in the market that would otherwise be filled exclusively by the likes of RaidMax, Diablotek, Logisys, CoolerMaster, or any number of other manufacturers with even more over-exaggerated specs on the box. People will buy it because of the price and a lot of them will probably never run enough hardware on it for it to be a major problem.

Yes, but the 750 watt labeling is essentially a lie. You wouldn't want to run 750 watts of equipment off of this power supply.

There are better 550 watt power supplies to be had even at around $35. One is the XFX Core Edition 550 watt, a Seasonic-made 80+ Bronze power supply. Goes as low as $26. The XFX TS 550 watt Seasonic-made 80+ Gold power supply has been down to $40. Or how about the Antec TruePower Classic 750 watt Seasonic-made 80+ Gold for $50.

Also, as of right now, Newegg has the CX750M at $80 AR. The Antec is $60 AR. The CX750M is obscenely overpriced for what it is. Its sale price should be its regular price, and its sale price should be down in the 20s.

Exactly that!!
If this PSU is sufficient for about 550 watt, then why a customer NOT buy a really good 550watt PSU with similar price? (example: http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-...&keywords=seasonic+g+series+550w+power+supply )
This way, you get a premium 550watt PSU that will ensure the longevity of your system, and not a low build quality 750watt (*theoritically) PSU, that probably will die much much sooner if you push it to the limits!! :(
-So the question remains: what is the reason of this PSU's existence?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, but the 750 watt labeling is essentially a lie. You wouldn't want to run 750 watts of equipment off of this power supply.

There are better 550 watt power supplies to be had even at around $35. One is the XFX Core Edition 550 watt, a Seasonic-made 80+ Bronze power supply. Goes as low as $26. The XFX TS 550 watt Seasonic-made 80+ Gold power supply has been down to $40. Or how about the Antec TruePower Classic 750 watt Seasonic-made 80+ Gold for $50.

Also, as of right now, Newegg has the CX750M at $80 AR. The Antec is $60 AR. The CX750M is obscenely overpriced for what it is. Its sale price should be its regular price, and its sale price should be down in the 20s.

+1 ;)

-So the question remains: what is the reason of this PSU's existence?
I can justify my purchase all day, but I understand it wasn't wise as much as impulse and need.
So your real answer is marketing and sku coverage and because shit psu's sell and make them more money. CX line has 3 sku's in the top 5 and they all review well. So they cost less to make, probably have significantly higher margins, and they sell WAY more of them.

I can justify my purchase all day, but I understand it wasn't wise as much as impulse and need.
So your real answer is marketing and sku coverage and because shit psu's sell and make them more money. CX line has 3 sku's in the top 5 and they all review well. So they cost less to make, probably have significantly higher margins, and they sell WAY more of them.

Same in my country (*Greece). The CX line sells a lot, and couple of years ago, -before i started to read PSU reviews-, i probably would have bought one for myself. :p

That's it. I did not claim that there were no other PSUs at this price range that were better. I stated that there are a lot that are probably worse. The Corsair name carries some weight with it and some people will buy their budget PSUs for that reason alone. There is obviously room in their product lineup for these PSUs, so they sell them.

Back