Seasonic X-Series: X-850 Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic X-Series: X-850 Power Supply Review - Seasonic is a long time favorite of HardOCP editors as you will find a Seasonic PSU in many builds we have done over the years. Today Seasonic pushes its X-Series forward just a bit more building its first gold efficiency rated fully modular enthusiast power supply. But will it blend?

Wow I've never seen an award, let alone a Gold award, given to a PSU here.

Sweet! Awesome work Seasonic.

as always nice PSU review.

I have one of these units, and its a great unit. You didn't cover the hybrid fan feature though.

Man that's impressive. There was a thread on OCN a while back bitching about why everybody wants Seasonic power supplies. Reviews like this show why. Aside from the new Corsair AXi units and a couple Enermax units, you don't usually see raving reviews like this but for Seasonic power supplies, it's just another day at the office. Gotta love any company that can do excellence consistently.

I read a bunch of reviews for Seasonic PSUs in general before I picked up the this X850 right after Christmas. All the reviews I have seen have pretty much been excellent for all Seasonic PSUs. Finding this one at 110.00 after MIR just made it even a sweeter deal.

Most excellent review -- poor PSUs. As and EE, your tests are brutal and if you give a PSU a Gold AND and Pass? Yeah, it's a good unit.

Thanks for the extra eyes! Fixed. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what it takes to win a gold award from me? Not producing power supplies with coil whine issues for years after the issues are discovered. No mo Seasonic as far as I'm concerned (and I used to recommend them a lot).

Know what it takes to win a gold award from me? Not producing power supplies with coil whine issues for years after the issues are discovered. No mo Seasonic as far as I'm concerned (and I used to recommend them a lot).

Well, then you'll have to nix every manufacturer ever then, even the hamster on a wheel.

Coil whine is real and terrible. The Seasonics are known to have it and there's plenty of reviews on Newegg and elsewhere about it. This also includes the Corsair HX/AX series which are Seasonic as well.

I'm not saying that it's on every PSU but the Seasonics are really known to have this issue. Unfortunately, the whine may only be slight or moderate at first and worsen severely with time so many reviews never mention it.

At first it might be like a light whine and a month later it can be obnoxious. I just purchased a Corsair AX850 and the whine can be heard in pretty much the entire upstairs of my home...it's going back,

Coil whine is real and terrible. The Seasonics are known to have it and there's plenty of reviews on Newegg and elsewhere about it. This also includes the Corsair HX/AX series which are Seasonic as well.

I'm not saying that it's on every PSU but the Seasonics are really known to have this issue. Unfortunately, the whine may only be slight or moderate at first and worsen severely with time so many reviews never mention it.

Hey, stop trolling by mentioning a known flaw of these supplies. It wasn't mentioned in the review, so it must not be a problem. My experience with whining Seasonic PSUs means nothing, same with everyone else who has.

Don't anger Paul.

Hey, stop trolling by mentioning a known flaw of these supplies. It wasn't mentioned in the review, so it must not be a problem. My experience with whining Seasonic PSUs means nothing, same with everyone else who has.

Don't anger Paul.

LOL.

Well, here is some info from Corsair. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114987&page=3

They are basically saying that there is going to be a fix for their entire AX series in regards to noise. At this point they are suggesting their "i" series if it's an issue.

Look at all the reviews that mention whine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Sorry for that ugly link, but those AX860s are all Seasonics. You can look on most shopping sites and you'll find plenty of reviews about whine.

I'm guessing that most of their units have some level of whine but many people are using them in environments where other noise may initially block it out. I get that these are really good units in regards to their power quality but it's sort of like owning a Ferrari with an airhorn that constantly goes off in the backseat. Just not worth it.

Someone I know is shopping for a new psu, and I was wondering if anyone who has owned one of these for a year or so can comment on quality over time, has the whine issue appeared, etc.?

Someone I know is shopping for a new psu, and I was wondering if anyone who has owned one of these for a year or so can comment on quality over time, has the whine issue appeared, etc.?

mine works just fine. Its silent and the fan only comes on when both the cpu and gpu are under load. Stable power source as well.

One thing to note is with high draw graphics cards Think R9-290 and higher, or GTX 780 and higher you must use two pci-e cables for the graphics card. One cable supports 2- 6+2 pin connectors, don't plug them both in with high draw cards it will melt the cable and or the connector causing a short.

I've yet to see one with coil whine. As for lifespan, these are about the best built power supplies available this side of heavy duty server units. This thing should easily last a good long while.

I love my new Seasonic 760w platinum PSU. Mine doesn't have any coil whine at all, and it absolutely exudes quality....which it should for a premium manufacturer's top line.

Ok, thanks guys.

Yeah, the newegg review mentioning the melted cable was a bit worrisome. If he goes this route I will make sure to mention it to him.

Back