Seasonic X Series: X-750 Power Supply Review @ [H]

i was overclocking the piss out of everything with the 7900gs, no issues.

now i have everything underclocked slightly...still problems

the only things i have changed are the video card and a fresh install of win7x64; previous was vista x64
That's enough to justify re-calibrating your overclock all over again. First, check the PCIe voltage and make sure it's not too high/low, and fix it if you have to.

Then, if you still have problems, reset your mobo to failsafe defaults and try running the system stock. If it doesn't run properly at stock volts/speed, some part of your system is busted, and you probably broke it by O/Cing.

I just got mine in from newegg, it makes the high frequency noise. Time to RMA... ugh. I swear if they don't fix it when it comes back I'm going to bust the thing open and use a glue gun on the coils.

Last edited:
I have it but Haven't opened it yet. I hope mine doesn't make the noise. I will be ordering my mobo, ram, and video card next friday, so I should be building by the following wednesday.

what do you guys think, could this handle 2 480's? I will probably end up getting just 1 (for CUDA, helps reduce rendering times) but I'm curious if it could handle 2 or not, was hoping it could and the power efficiency would just go down.

what do you guys think, could this handle 2 480's? I will probably end up getting just 1 (for CUDA, helps reduce rendering times) but I'm curious if it could handle 2 or not, was hoping it could and the power efficiency would just go down.
It would be borderline for a pair of 480s, but I would recommend at least an 850W PSU for that.

I just got mine back... and it is even noisier than the first! So much for being a silent PSU, the noise is more annoying than a fan running full tilt. I specifically asked them to check for this issue on the unit to be returned. The warranty on this thing is useless to me now, anyone know which coils make the noise? I'm going to bust it open and fix it myself. ([H] Review Pics)

I hope my isn't noisy. The packaging is very nice though... Shame such a high end ps has quality issues.

I just got mine back... and it is even noisier than the first! So much for being a silent PSU, the noise is more annoying than a fan running full tilt. I specifically asked them to check for this issue on the unit to be returned. The warranty on this thing is useless to me now, anyone know which coils make the noise? I'm going to bust it open and fix it myself. ([H] Review Pics)

Any coil that is not completely dipped can "whine". So......all of them?

Any coil that is not completely dipped can "whine". So......all of them?

I've never done this before, is there a way to check which ones are whining by pushing on them with some non-conductive object? Searching around came up with many options to deal with coil whine. I've heard everything from paraffin wax, hot glue, to silicone sealants. Are any of these superior? Did your review unit exhibit any coil whine?

I've never done this before, is there a way to check which ones are whining by pushing on them with some non-conductive object?

Not really. They don't move that much normally.

Searching around came up with many options to deal with coil whine. I've heard everything from paraffin wax, hot glue, to silicone sealants. Are any of these superior?

I would not use wax. Otherwise whichever non-conductive material has the highest melting temperature as this unit will most likely always be running fanless for you.

Did your review unit exhibit any coil whine?

No it didn't and I am very sensitive to high pitched sounds. For people noticing it as much as they do very very very few units that come in for review ever exhibit any noticeable coil whine.

Using hot glue did not work at all. The sound must have not came from the coils. I had my electrical engineer friend come over and he said it seems like it is coming from a transformer that is sealed in some yellow housing. I'm stopping my quest to rid the noise here.

I decided to just switch this out for my older Corsair 850TX I used in another PC. It has some whine to it but probably only 1/10th as bad. I can't hear it unless I put my ear up to it. I'm extremely disappointed by this issue, mainly by the fact that Seasonic RMA apparently didn't bother to check the unit to be returned for this noise like I requested. I'm sure otherwise it is a fantastic PSU. Manufacturers really need to step it up when it comes to coil whine.

Using hot glue did not work at all. The sound must have not came from the coils. I had my electrical engineer friend come over and he said it seems like it is coming from a transformer that is sealed in some yellow housing. I'm stopping my quest to rid the noise here.

I decided to just switch this out for my older Corsair 850TX I used in another PC. It has some whine to it but probably only 1/10th as bad. I can't hear it unless I put my ear up to it. I'm extremely disappointed by this issue, mainly by the fact that Seasonic RMA apparently didn't bother to check the unit to be returned for this noise like I requested. I'm sure otherwise it is a fantastic PSU. Manufacturers really need to step it up when it comes to coil whine.

What mobo are you using? The one in your sig? Because I've been reading in some other mobo specific threads that some combinations of mobos with some combinations of power supplies will make things whine, and it can be sometimes be eliminated by changing one or the other or sometimes by adjusting the CPU voltage oddly enough.

There are so many causes of PSU buzzing/whining... Most related to manufacturing process.

x650 should be arriving Tuesday. Would have had it Friday if it was not for the long weekend. :(

I have an x-650 and an X-750, both of them are about as silent as you can get in a power supply. The modular power cords are all kinds of awesome, and the matte black finish is very <3.

If you PSU has any kind of whine, just RMA it, Seasonic are pretty good about that kind of thing. Transformer whine isn't really fixable without dipping the whole thing in some kind of penetrating dielectric, and that's way more effort than it's worth if it's still under warranty.

I recieved my X-650 today (to replace Enermax Infiniti 720W which I sold) so far I am very happy with it. Difference between Enermax (which was already out of waranty) I sold and price of X-650 was only 40&#8364; :).

I just built an i920 rig using the X-750. I am currently doing a burn-in and the thing it pretty damn quite. No whine from the transformers here. I am liking PSU a lot.

Did anyone made their own 24-pin cable for this PSU or everyone modded the original one if they wanted a different sleeve ?

Did anyone made their own 24-pin cable for this PSU or everyone modded the original one if they wanted a different sleeve ?
I would imagine they just sleeved the existing one. There's no real reason to make your own when you can just reuse the one the PSU comes with and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Especially because it uses a split connector on the housing end that is not standard.

It depends, for example i'm thinking about doing it for my new case. The original 24-pin cable is 56cm long - while i will need maybe 15-20cm max in PC-A05. There would be no point in reusing the original one, also this way you wouldn't void the warranty by modifying the original cable. Question is if there is a way to get your own connectors because of how the connections are on this PSU - for example the PCI-E connector has 12 pins, the MB connector has 10+16 pins,...

@Paul: well, that explains it then. This is not good, it would be better to have shorter cables directly from Seasonic, but they have to release anything.

@Paul: well, that explains it then. This is not good, it would be better to have shorter cables directly from Seasonic, but they have to release anything.

If you only need to shorten them you can pull the standard connectors (ie non-housing ends) cut the wires and crimp on new connectors but you most likely will not be able to make whole new cables due to the non-standard housing ends.

If you only need to shorten them you can pull the standard connectors (ie non-housing ends) cut the wires and crimp on new connectors but you most likely will not be able to make whole new cables due to the non-standard housing ends.

Or just spec the pin-out of the non standard end of the cable and then de-pin it. Re-pin the empty connectors with the PS end of a standard (but shorter) 24pin cable per the pin-out. No cutting or crimping required.

Just purchased the x750 yesterday after all my talk. Should be in soon. I'm guessing the load I'll be putting on it shouldn't even get the fan close to spinning up. :D

I have an x-650 and an X-750, both of them are about as silent as you can get in a power supply. The modular power cords are all kinds of awesome, and the matte black finish is very <3.

If you PSU has any kind of whine, just RMA it, Seasonic are pretty good about that kind of thing. Transformer whine isn't really fixable without dipping the whole thing in some kind of penetrating dielectric, and that's way more effort than it's worth if it's still under warranty.

If you read his posts, he RMA'd it already and requested one with less whine or some testing. The one he got back had even more whine.

I was considering this PSU but no local stores carry it. I've learned my lesson with PSU noise. I'm not buying one again unless it is carried locally so I can return/exchange it easier. I've gone through a bunch in a search for quietness as well.

If you read his posts, he RMA'd it already and requested one with less whine or some testing. The one he got back had even more whine.

I was considering this PSU but no local stores carry it. I've learned my lesson with PSU noise. I'm not buying one again unless it is carried locally so I can return/exchange it easier. I've gone through a bunch in a search for quietness as well.

I have X-650 and I had a problem that my computer wouldn't start up or the PSU whined. I investigated that the ATX cable was somehow loose/didn't make contact to the connector and when I bended some of the single cables the computer shut down itself and I bended few of them and the whining stopped. I have since RMA'd the cable and I hope to get new one soon.

I've only had good experiences with my seasonic, but I'll let everyone know how it goes with mine (just hope my fanboyism doesn't cloud my view on it!)

Got the unit last week and installed it yesterday. Dead silent and no coil whine so far. I'll see about turning off some off my fans to see if it real is fully silent since I'm sure my idle load isn't very much. Haven't really had a chance to give it my full attention to really check it out. I gotta say when I first received the unit and opened it up was happy to see the quality packaging the unit came in.

I just ordered this PSU.

The review here and the review at jonnyguru both were awesome enough to justify replacing my Etasis built Silverstone 850W. The modular, efficiency, and the non-spinning fan are the reasons for the upgrade really.

I honestly can't imagine a better built unit than the one I am replacing however.

Dead silent, but I'm not putting any real load on it and don't plan to. First step in building a silent rig.

I have a question regarding these PSUs. The computer in my sig is in need of a new PSU because it is pretty loud. Do you think the 650W version would be sufficient or should I play it safe and go with the 750W one? I am considering moving to an HD5770 for it to be cooler and quieter since my case is fairly small and it gets warm in there.

I have a question regarding these PSUs. The computer in my sig is in need of a new PSU because it is pretty loud. Do you think the 650W version would be sufficient or should I play it safe and go with the 750W one? I am considering moving to an HD5770 for it to be cooler and quieter since my case is fairly small and it gets warm in there.
The X-650 would easily power your system.

Sorry for OT: I currently have HX520, and I`m plannig to change, and wondering if the newly announced fanless X-460 would be allright for my rig in a long turn (specs in sig). I often put a lot of load on my rig (mainly rendering) and since load ~50% on psu is allegedly best for its lifespan, this x-460 would be loaded at least ~70%. Also it will be on the edge for overclocked i7 9xx (planned upgrade). The reason I want fanless, is that the rig is silenced as it could be and I`m currently hearing only the spinning of HDDs (and whine from hx520 under load).

Back