Seasonic X Series: X-750 Power Supply Review @ [H]

I just got this x750 psu recently, and I can tell you it's cool as hell. Fan does not turn on during web browsing at all. The only thing I don't like is the grill for the fan, as it sticks out a hair and I can't mount it facing down in the CM Sniper case. More CM's fault I think.

UGH, this was why I was checking the forum before pulling the trigger, I had worries about their stupid fan grill. I had a feeling it would sit facing down, which is what I do with my HX620 in my TJ09, bringing in outside air. Sigh, so I have to decide if I want to get another Corsair or flipping it around and having it suck on system air.

UGH, this was why I was checking the forum before pulling the trigger, I had worries about their stupid fan grill. I had a feeling it would sit facing down, which is what I do with my HX620 in my TJ09, bringing in outside air. Sigh, so I have to decide if I want to get another Corsair or flipping it around and having it suck on system air.

So just flip it.

Rob @ techgage recommended this brand then Kyle's very good review sold me on it.

I bought mine from performance-pcs.com for $180 along several items for WC-ing. Although per resellerratings Performance PCs is not perfect ... they are not bad & I'll take the $20.

Fits fine in my CM 690 (it has little rubber pads built into the case and thus spaces the PSU sufficiently from the chasis to fit the grill. You'll only need the tiniest bit of wriggle room.

You could also perhaps mod your case if all else fails.

I had to flip my Corsair in my Antec 900 case. No big deal really, 3 out of the 4 screws still lined up.

Ok, turned out to be a non-issue in the TJ09. When I took out my HX620 I checked out the bottom of the case, and they actually have a little gap between where the PSU sits and the bottom grill, don't know if it was designed specificly for PSUs like this that might have a grill sticking out. Anywho, was able to install it with the fan down so it's able to draw in outside air if it needs it.

About the only negative I can say about this unit is that I think I liked Corsair's flat ribbon cables more. Trying to get 3 SATA drives in a drive bay connected using one cable was a bit of a hassle and there's more cable sticking out since it's not flat.

Regardless, very happy with this supply.

Ok, turned out to be a non-issue in the TJ09. When I took out my HX620 I checked out the bottom of the case, and they actually have a little gap between where the PSU sits and the bottom grill, don't know if it was designed specificly for PSUs like this that might have a grill sticking out. Anywho, was able to install it with the fan down so it's able to draw in outside air if it needs it.

About the only negative I can say about this unit is that I think I liked Corsair's flat ribbon cables more. Trying to get 3 SATA drives in a drive bay connected using one cable was a bit of a hassle and there's more cable sticking out since it's not flat.

Regardless, very happy with this supply.

Yeah, the grill looked like it was higher in the reviews. It's not that bad once you see it first hand. Mine's been running since Monday when I installed it and the fan hasn't kicked in once. :)

What's the cable length like on these PSU's? I'm trying to clean up my wiring inside my TJ-10 (Same as TJ-09 just has a door over drives). Would like to know if they're able to reach around the back of the motherboard tray and still reach all connections on the board?

Sweet PSU and great review. If i didn't already have a 750 watt Corsair I'd be all over this one.

I had a corsair 750 as well, until i bought the Seasonic X Series: X-750 :D

Seasonic is like the Rolls Royce of PSU... High quality stuff, IMO.

I had a corsair 750 as well, until i bought the Seasonic X Series: X-750 :D

Seasonic is like the Rolls Royce of PSU... High quality stuff, IMO.

Perhaps so, though to me it would be a complete waste to upgrade a very good 750watt psu with a very very good 750watt psu

Perhaps so, though to me it would be a complete waste to upgrade a very good 750watt psu with a very very good 750watt psu

I didn't really care for my corsair too much. The fan making ticking noises annoyed me. I was going to replace the fan, till i measured the voltage it started up at. starts up at very low voltage.

Picked up an X750 for a new build, and have noticed my 12V is a bit on the high side, generally hovering at 12.16 but occasionally spiking up o 12.21. Is this normal? My previous Corsair unit (620W) hewed much closer to 12.00. For what it's worth, the system seems stable under a full OCCT PSU load, with it running at 12.16 the whole test.

(though, the unit does make a very, very soft whining noise if you put your ear up to it -- only noticed it as I was swapping out a SATA cable with the case open). I've also never heard the fan spin up, making for a very quiet unit unless you get up close.

In order to stay within spec, it needs to be between 11.4v and 12.6v. Such a small increase is nothing to worry about.

I am using the 650w version of this PSU and while it has very good build quality, is DEAD silent and I'm sure it'll work very well for a long time I have a gripe: The damn cables are too damn stiff! I think I'm going to have to Murdermod sleeve the cables.

Picked up an X750 for a new build, and have noticed my 12V is a bit on the high side, generally hovering at 12.16 but occasionally spiking up o 12.21.
Measured with what? If you were using software, ignore it. The only way you can accurately measure the voltage is by using a digital multimeter.

The review sold me on this power supply and I have zero regrets.

One thing to note; we keep a super clean house but the place my desk sits is a crazy magnet for cat hair. Most of the time the fan is off so it was acting as an air input bypassing the case filter. After only three weeks I could see the "new cat" forming inside. Simple fix, just had to get some positive pressure. The only flaw this power supply has is being too good. ;)

i've been having screen glitches and crashes with my new radeon hd 5770 and Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply. i suspect that my PSU is not pumping out enough amps on the 12V rails (19A + 19A).

i just put in my order for this card, 180 bucks, ouch.

i hope this fixes my issue

i've been having screen glitches and crashes with my new radeon hd 5770 and Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply. i suspect that my PSU is not pumping out enough amps on the 12V rails (19A + 19A).

i just put in my order for this card, 180 bucks, ouch.

i hope this fixes my issue

What are the rest of your specs? That Antec should be PLENTY of power for a 5770 even if you had sevaerl drives an an i7 CPU.

What are the rest of your specs? That Antec should be PLENTY of power for a 5770 even if you had sevaerl drives an an i7 CPU.

e6300 @ 3ghz, 1.35V, 8gb crucial ballistix ddr2-800 @ 1066mhz, 2.2V, two WD drives in raid 0 striping, two optical drives, 6 case fans.

i was told on the amd forum that i need at least 40amps on the 12V, and it wasn't helping that my PSU is about 5 years old too. :confused:

edit: i'll let you guys know on tuesday if my problem is fixed :/

You don't need 40A to run a 5770, although your PSU does have a number of potential flaws which could be causing problems for you.

You don't need 40A to run a 5770, although your PSU does have a number of potential flaws which could be causing problems for you.

Radeon HD 5770 (single GPU)

* The card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.

Radeon HD 5770 (single GPU)

* The card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.
They say that to be safe. However, an average system with a 5770 doesn't actually require that much power.

They say that to be safe. However, an average system with a 5770 doesn't actually require that much power.

i don't know what the problem is, but this issue is really pissing me off. i returned a 5750 because i thought it was defective. now i'm getting the same crap...

214tjmc.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2drigdy.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/5ze3vc.jpg

to be clear, my system was completely stable on the old 7900gs card

That wouldn't be caused by the PSU. Did you reinstall Windows before installing the 5770? If not, did you make sure to fully uninstall the nVidia drivers beforehand? Are you using the latest driver revision?

That wouldn't be caused by the PSU. Did you reinstall Windows before installing the 5770? If not, did you make sure to fully uninstall the nVidia drivers beforehand? Are you using the latest driver revision?

i'm running a fresh install of win7 x64. i'm using the latest catalyst 10.2, it did it with 10.1, 9.1, and 9.12...

Are you overclocking anything? Have you tried underclocking the video card to see if the problem goes away?

Are you overclocking anything? Have you tried underclocking the video card to see if the problem goes away?

i was overclocking the piss out of everything with the 7900gs, no issues.

now i have everything underclocked slightly...still problems

the only things i have changed are the video card and a fresh install of win7x64; previous was vista x64

prime95 is stable :/

edit: wow, now it's not even stable anymore...

[Sun Feb 21 22:46:30 2010]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

maybe my PSU is kicking the bucket? i have no idea...this is upsetting

edit2: i'm rerunning prime95 again, it has not failed again so far. maybe it was a glitch

Last edited:
Which test are you running?

I personally have not had good luck running memtest. I've had a known bad stick go for 8 hours without error in memtest (I stopped it after 8 hours). That same stick generated an error in Prime95 in under 30 seconds

Man this PSU is a monster. It powers my computer with nothing and is pretty silent. My specs are :
i7 920 @4.4ghz
2x HD 5870 @ 925/1200
6GB DDR3
3x 150GB Velicoraptors.

it was the RAM... i feel like such a moron.

oh well, now that i have this seasonic, i might as well just throw in an i7 920

Back