Seasonic S12-600....Thoughts?????

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Well,

My birthday is right around the corner and my finacee is pestering me as to what I want. Still haven't made my mind up on a new NF4 board, and I'm also waiting for ATI's R520 before I overhaul my rig......... I'm thinking of telling her to get me the Seasonic S12-600 PSU and probably the Swiftech Storm block.

Anyone out there with this PSU that can comment on it's noise, efficiency, any issues with cabling, etc??

Thanks

Scroatdog said:
Well,

My birthday is right around the corner and my finacee is pestering me as to what I want. Still haven't made my mind up on a new NF4 board, and I'm also waiting for ATI's R520 before I overhaul my rig......... I'm thinking of telling her to get me the Seasonic S12-600 PSU and probably the Swiftech Storm block.

Anyone out there with this PSU that can comment on it's noise, efficiency, any issues with cabling, etc??

Thanks
Do NOT get the Seasonic S-12 600W for a DFI N4 at this time, because there are unresolved issues.

Issues:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17916&highlight=Seasonic

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19647&highlight=Seasonic

Pick a "proven winner" from the "A" list: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Dave ;)

And just to be clear the issues are with DFI's board NOT the PSU. :)

Otherwise the Seasonic is the quietest, most efficent PSU you will find in it's class.

Spectre said:
And just to be clear the issues are with DFI's board NOT the PSU. :)

Otherwise the Seasonic is the quietest, most efficent PSU you will find in it's class.
It is an interaction between the two having to do with the +5VSB.

The Seasonic S-12 430W, 500W & 600W are excellent & highly recommended PSU's.

The DFI N4 mobos are the highest performance, highest OC'ing mobos available & are also highly recommended.

DFI & Seasonic are working together to resolve these issues,
both are GREAT company's, producing excellent products.

Dave

davidhammock200 said:
It is an interaction between the two having to do with the +5VSB.

I am aware of the issue :) Let me ask you this what is the spec for +5VSB? Does the DFI board require a draw beyond the spec? Was the PSU designed to spec? If so does that mean the board was not designed to work with the spec, or suffers some sort power issue? ;)

DFI & Seasonic are working together to resolve these issues,
both are GREAT company's, producing excellent products.

;)

Spectre said:
I am aware of the issue :) Let me ask you this what is the spec for +5VSB? Does the DFI board require a draw beyond the spec? Was the PSU designed to spec? If so does that mean the board was not designed to work with the spec, or suffers some sort power issue? ;)

;)
Yes the DFI N4's seem to need about 2.5A, the PC P&C 510 rated at +5VSB@3A has no issue &
the OCZ PowerStream 520W rated at +5VSB@2A has no issues either.
Of course the OCZ PS 520W is way under-rated with the Topower having [email protected] meeting the new ATX12V standard.

Seasonic is the most UNDERRATED PSU maker out there. If I had not been enlightened by Silent PC Review I would still not know of such an incredible PSU. Stable Rails and 80+% efficiency is awesome. Still waiting for mine from Ewiz (stinking bastards). But hey, I got in on the $105 deal so I can wait it out...:D

I totally will not come close to using the power it has as I will be using it in an HTPC. But in the future...:cool:

Its the best psu ive ever owned. It replaced my 510 Deluxe. Its quieter and doesnt heat up my room like the 510 did.

Seasonic has been around for a while now.

Glad to see that people are starting to catch on to them.

On a side note, DFI boards do sometimes go out-of-specifications, but that is often what gives them the heads up with enthusiasts.

I'm sure it will all be resolved in the future.

Great, thanks for all the responses.

Maybe by the time I am ready to upgrade, there will be a workaround. Ot I may just go with a different board, since I will be and AMD nOOb. :p

I also own this PSU and have been running it on my newly built AMD 3200+ Venice PC for 3 weeks now. It is pretty quiet and I like its efficiency, although I can't really test it - just going by what I've read. I wish it was painted silver since my case is silver, but no biggie since the back of my case is near a wall and pretty much out of view.

It comes w/ some cable management system called Dr. Cable, but I haven't installed that part of it yet. Right now, my cables are all over the place inside the PC, almost looking like Medusa. :D

Anyway, to answre your question, this PSU is rated very well, 80+% efficiency, has a ton of power, and is pretty quiet.

One thing that puzzles me is that all my voltage readings (as displayed by my BIOS) are slightly below the reference marks of 3.3, 5, and 12 V. :confused:

Here's another great reason to buy a Seasonic PSU. It was one of the few PSUs that survived THG's live stress test for PSUs. Fortron was another PSU that THG recommended.

beowulf7 said:
Here's another great reason to buy a Seasonic PSU. It was one of the few PSUs that survived THG's live stress test for PSUs. Fortron was another PSU that THG recommended.
The Seasonic S12 also delivered the highest efficency of any PSU in the roundup at Tom's.

beowulf7 said:

Yes well they also failed the Hiper for the -12v going out of spec :eek:

Spectre said:
Yes well they also failed the Hiper for the -12v going out of spec :eek:
To ELL with Tom's! :p

WoW, I have heard many bad stories about the all important -12V (& -5V too) going out of spec & causing major disasters!
Fires, floods, wars, etc... :rolleyes:

A Seasonic S12-600 is part of my SLI GTX rig. I love it. Super quiet, and it looks like it's really well made.

DougLite said:
The Seasonic S12 also delivered the highest efficency of any PSU in the roundup at Tom's.
Yes, that's pretty impressive for this PSU that not many people have heard of before (even by self-proclaimed techies).

BioPort said:
i am using an s12-600 on my dfi nf4 ultra-d with no issues.
same here, as a matter of fact i replaced a pc power and cooling for the s12-600, and couldnt be happier....

UPDATE

Well, my birthday is Saturday. My old lady ordered the PSU from Xoxide with the link I provided her. Turns out it was out of stock. She tried another place (can't remember which) Out of stock.

So she did a Google search and found some place called www.shopblt.com She did like I taught her and checked on ResellerRatings first. Seems they're pretty good, and I've never even heard of them before. Orders the PSU and gets confirmation e-mail. Gets 2 day air to make sure it will be her by my birthday, even though I told her I wouldn't be using the PSU for at least another 6 weeks, but hey... she wants it there.

She got an e-mail from them this morning...OUT OF STOCK, and maybe they'd get one in today and ship it out.

This IS a popular PSU alright. Maybe had something to do with THG's PSU recommendations after that torture test thing they did a few weeks back???

Anyhow, to enjoy it in some fashion on my birthday, I headed over to Xoxide and ordered a blue UV sleeving kit, universal molex remover, and ATX pin remover. That outta keep me busy.

Now to read up on the compatability issue people are having with it and DFI..............
(still haven't made up my mind on the mobo, but it's leaning in that direction)

the DFI needs at least 2000w and 200@ on the 12v rail!!! --so your going to have to wait untill Pc&P gets their special edition DFI-2000 edition out. special price for all DFI owners $499.99+s&h (LOL)

or you could just get the evga and a 7800gtx--?--LOL

otherwise the seasonic 600w should be a decent psu for most applications . :

Scroatdog said:
UPDATE

Well, my birthday is Saturday. My old lady ordered the PSU from Xoxide with the link I provided her. Turns out it was out of stock. She tried another place (can't remember which) Out of stock.

So she did a Google search and found some place called www.shopblt.com She did like I taught her and checked on ResellerRatings first. Seems they're pretty good, and I've never even heard of them before. Orders the PSU and gets confirmation e-mail. Gets 2 day air to make sure it will be her by my birthday, even though I told her I wouldn't be using the PSU for at least another 6 weeks, but hey... she wants it there.

She got an e-mail from them this morning...OUT OF STOCK, and maybe they'd get one in today and ship it out.

This IS a popular PSU alright. Maybe had something to do with THG's PSU recommendations after that torture test thing they did a few weeks back???

Anyhow, to enjoy it in some fashion on my birthday, I headed over to Xoxide and ordered a blue UV sleeving kit, universal molex remover, and ATX pin remover. That outta keep me busy.

Now to read up on the compatability issue people are having with it and DFI..............
(still haven't made up my mind on the mobo, but it's leaning in that direction)
Damn, this is going OOS like crazy! I know that ewiz.com hasn't even shown it in a little while. Good thing I got mine about a month ago before the THG report.

BTW, can you provide a link to the UV blue sleeving kit that you say is compatible w/ this PSU? Does it replace the Dr. Cable cable management that comes w/ the Seasonic PSU or go on top of it? I haven't even installed the Dr. Cable stuff yet - my cables are running wild all over my case like Medusa. :eek:

I didn't buy any kit that was "compatible" per-se, with the Seasonic. I just got a standard sleeving kit for any PSU, and also bought a universal molex removal tool, and an ATX pin removal tool. You can find any of these products anywhere. It wasn't something specific to Seasonic.

Scroatdog said:
I didn't buy any kit that was "compatible" per-se, with the Seasonic. I just got a standard sleeving kit for any PSU, and also bought a universal molex removal tool, and an ATX pin removal tool. You can find any of these products anywhere. It wasn't something specific to Seasonic.
Cool, thanks. If I see a good deal on one, I might go for it, but otherwise I'll give Dr. Cable a shot. :)

Back