seasonic 500watt for 2 8800gt enough?

jinho11104

n00b
title. im sorry but im trying to find a used psu that will have enough juice to run 2 of my 8800gt.

The 500W Seasonic is plenty for two 8800GTs and is a very good unit to boot.

If you can't afford the Seasonic, get the Corsair 450VX. They can be commonly found for $60 or less after rebate and will be able to power your system fine.

If you can't afford the Seasonic, get the Corsair 450VX. They can be commonly found for $60 or less after rebate and will be able to power your system fine.

I would have to disagree, spending $60 for a 450W PSU is not a good move. There is no headroom with this PSU, seems like SLI is probably pushing the limit or close to it.

I would have to disagree, spending $60 for a 450W PSU is not a good move. There is no headroom with this PSU, seems like SLI is probably pushing the limit or close to it.

Absolutely agree.

Except you're both wrong, and the VX450 is more than powerful enough to handle two 8800GTs in SLI. As you can see in this [H] article, two 8800GTs in SLI draw under 300W of power while under load (multiply the wall draw numbers by ~82% to get approximate DC draw values). That's well within the capabilities of the 450W Corsair unit, and leaves plenty of headroom for future upgrades. Considering the OP has $70 to spend, you can't really do any better than this PSU.

The only problem is that the 450VX only has one PCI-E connector. Hence why I asked the OP earlier if his 8800GT cards came with a molex to PCI-E connector.

The only problem is that the 450VX only has one PCI-E connector. Hence why I asked the OP earlier if his 8800GT cards came with a molex to PCI-E connector.

450vx might work.., but i think thats just straining it
i bought a OCZ gxs 700watt for 40$

Yay for poor regulation!

Anyway, it shouldn't be too bad with such a low load. Also, the VX450 will hold up if you look above. ;)

450vx might work.., but i think thats just straining it
i bought a OCZ gxs 700watt for 40$

What a waste of money. That OCZ GameXStream PSU is based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

And did you look at Zero82z's post? He clearly showed that 8800GT SLI will not strain a 450VX.

What a waste of money. That OCZ GameXStream PSU is based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

And did you look at Zero82z's post? He clearly showed that 8800GT SLI will not strain a 450VX.

i can always sell it back for a bit more :/ and PLEASE, i hope your not basing that ripple off of johnny's tests

i can always sell it back for a bit more :/ and PLEASE, i hope your not basing that ripple off of johnny's tests

JonnyGURU's testing procedures have always been excellent, so I don't know what you're implying with that comment. Also, there are many other sites that show the same results.

Back