Searching for the BEST homemade desk design

Status
Not open for further replies.
woot this thread made the [H]ardforum [H]appenings :cool:

I feel all fuzzy inside.. a geeks life is sooo easily pleased :p

there's no place like [H]

I am in the same boat, I cant find the desk I want. I would like to build but do not want to have to spend more on tools than I would on a desk to begin with.
Anyway here is what I want, pretty simple but it doesnt exist.

desk.JPG

Has anyone ever seen a keyboard/mouse shelf done up in the Star Trek TNG-style "Helm" design?

What I mean by that is a somewhat articulated design that has some adjustability as far as being able to swing into and out of place.

I was thinking about taking one of the extra monitor "arms" we have laying around here in cubeland, and attaching a shelf to the monitor platform.

contacted Poetic on there prices.. :D

www.poetic.com

here is a run down... the full Electric models
Aura $7769
Elan $6950
Epic $6775
Muse $5648
Echo $5792
Spirit $4296

All Manual
Aura $6450
Elan $5646
Epic $5496
Muse $4356
Echo $4796
Spirit $3252

dozens of add on items $$ $$ $$ :)

they also have a new redesigned Spirit model which is very nice.. IMO

Quester said:
contacted Poetic on there prices.. :D

www.poetic.com

here is a run down... the full Electric models
Aura $7769
Elan $6950
Epic $6775
Muse $5648
Echo $5792
Spirit $4296

All Manual
Aura $6450
Elan $5646
Epic $5496
Muse $4356
Echo $4796
Spirit $3252

dozens of add on items $$ $$ $$ :)

they also have a new redesigned Spirit model which is very nice.. IMO

does that include shipping? lol

I'm currently finishing a desk I've been building all summer. The desk is 72" x 32", on either side I have 2 bookcases which are 2' wide and 6'6" tall. I also have a bridge the spans between the two bookcases which have lights built in, mounted flush. The entire desk is wired with electric and has (2) 6 x 9 infinity speakers mounted flush as well, powered by a 1200 watt amp. The speakers run through my computer, providing optimal sound for everything from music to movies, not to mention gaming. The bottom of the book cases hold my computer and cd player on one side and a mini fridge on the other. All in all I have 29 LF of shelving space with a desk top large enough to spread full size blueprints out.

Any other ideas on how to take this to the next level? :)

40fimg0164resized1zg.jpg

*sigh* they don't make those desks anymore (O'sullivan L-shaped diplomat workcenter). O'Sullivan went out of business and I could not find it on sale anywhere. It was inexpensive (as low as $90 - $100 and looked like the perfect no frills L-desk since I do not need drawers/keyboard tray etc. just the room and clean design)

I was going to build my own:
http://www.mikeslone.org/2003/12/31/0001

Ended up ordering another desk at office max; besides, didn't have all the tools required... I would post pictures when it gets here but my desk/area is really nothing to look at...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back