searching for boot record?

jaxxx123

n00b
when I start up my desktop that all it does... is search for boot record on the floppy..cdrom, It woudnt let me get into windows.

how do i get fix this?

If you have any media in the drives, remove it and reboot. If you have a thumbdrive, disconnect it, on some systems it will stop the boot process. If that doesn't work change the boot up sequence, putting the HDD as first boot.

its highly likely your MBR (master boot record) has become corrupt as the computer will normally eventually try the HD regardless of the boot order.

If the HD has power and is spinning up,

If you are using XP

this might get you back..

http://askbobrankin.com/fix_mbr.html

good luck.

ok i tried going into setup but it was asking for a pword, and this is a hand me down older desktop so I dont have it... anyway around this?

If its asking you for a password when going into BIOS, try resetting CMOS by pulling the watch battery out of the motherboard for 5 seconds then putting it back in. That might clear that password. :D

ok i got int o teh BIOS tried some setting but coudnt find HDD as far as booting sequence goes, anything else I can try?

heres what Im seeing on the screen.....

insert boot diskette in A:
press any ket when ready

searching for bott record from floppy...not found
searching for boot record from cdrom..not found
searching for boot record from SCSI...not found

Sounds like your MBR is hosed...Google "Repair MBR" for a detailed step by step. It could be a mechanical problem with your HDD or it could be from a virus....at any rate if you aren't seeing your HDD listed in your BIOS, you have a large problem.

actually messing around the with my computer tower today, I disconnected where my hard drive was connected to my MOBO and used another connection next to it and it fixed the problem, thanks for the help and advice

Back