Sealant on the CPU block?

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
Last time I did the equivalent of an open loop cooling, I had a bucket of second hand Fluorinert and immersed dual celerons in tuppaware. I'm dipping my toes back into the open loop and to the point where I need to order fittings.

The water blocks are threaded. Do you typically use some sort of sealant connecting the fitting to the block itself?

I'm leaning to using copper piping, since my soldering skills are reasonable enough after a couple fancy bathroom remodels, so hard tubing rather than soft. (Does anyone even use soft tubing anymore?)

(edit: ah, the o ring... may not even need to worry about this)

Last edited:
I can't speak to copper tubing as I don't know what fittings you use for those but for every build I've seen the fittings just thread in an the rubber o-rings make the seal.

And yes, lots of us still use soft tubing. Most of the show-builds these days use hard plastic tubing, but I'm into water cooling for functional reasons, so the appearance matters very little to me.

Except for the one pic I take when my project is done, no one's ever going to see the inside of the build. My window is up against a wall :p

G1/4 uses a straight cut thread, not tapered, so you need the o-ring to make seal. if you put a tapered thread into it, you will need to add sealant to prevent it from leaking. that being said, if sealed properly, it will work just fine for years. Been doing copper hardpipe for the last 6 years

Back