Seagate RMA - very impressed

haadij404

2[H]4U
My Seagate 200gb PATA HDD recently died. Luckily I had backed up everything important on it as I could tell it was on its way out. Well I started an RMA with them on their website which was very simple and efficient. I sent out my drive and two days after they had received it they shipped out a refurb drive. Very good turnaround. Well I just got the drive today and its a 400gb model :eek: :D

Freaking awesome. It works perfectly and is in my rig right now.

I don't know know all these seagate RMA horror stories but my experience was great.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Sounds to me like either they gave you the wrong one, or they discontinued your model and gave you its rough successor. I know Logitech does the latter, so maybe Seagate does as well.

Thats what they did for me. Had a 300GB drive die, RMA'd it, and got a 400GB drive in return :). Hence why I only use Seagate or Maxtor drives now in my builds.

Hm, I have a dead 200gb 7200.9 SATA from an acer PC I bought around a year ago..now that that warranty is no longer effective, I wonder if Seagate would be willing to replace it. Does the 5yr warranty still apply in this case?

Hm, I have a dead 200gb 7200.9 SATA from an acer PC I bought around a year ago..now that that warranty is no longer effective, I wonder if Seagate would be willing to replace it. Does the 5yr warranty still apply in this case?

Try it :)

Damn, I got a 300GB for my 300GB.

It was fast though :)

Thats what they did for me. Had a 300GB drive die, RMA'd it, and got a 400GB drive in return :). Hence why I only use Seagate or Maxtor drives now in my builds.

I sent in a 160, got a 250 back. That was last year. I still use WD for the most part though.

Pretty cool how most of us have gotten more capacity. I thought maybe my experience was out of the ordinary but I guess not. Looks like Seagate will be getting my business from now on.

This is all sweet, but the recent 500GB drive cache fiasco does present it's concerns with Seagate.

Yeah, they fixed it (we THINK) via a firmware update, but it shows a ding in Seagates quality control armor.

Seagate has a warranty checker. Enter the part number and serial number and it will tell you if its still under warranty.

This is all sweet, but the recent 500GB drive cache fiasco does present it's concerns with Seagate.

Yeah, they fixed it (we THINK) via a firmware update, but it shows a ding in Seagates quality control armor.

What do you expect, its probably the people they kept from maxtor. :rolleyes:

Seagate has always been really good. Maxtor and WD are really good too.

If only everyone else took a page from their books. Check the serial number and if its within a certain time frame, just accept the return without any hassle of receipts and jumping through tech support hoops. All the motherboard and video card manufacturers out there could learn something here.

I RMA'd a WD drive this past summer, it was the same experience I had with Seagate. Just enter the serial and that was it. They didn't make me show them any receipts.

Back