Seagate Hybrid Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seagate Hybrid Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB Review - Seagate has introduced the next generation of Solid State Hybrid Drives, commonly referred to as "SSHD." These drives use a small amount of MLC NAND to accelerate the performance of a 5400 RPM spinning disk. Today we test the mobile version against other available SSD caching solutions.

So... no actual in game test? Just wondering 'cuz that was my complaint with the Seagate Momentus hybrid. There would be pauses during BF:bad company 2 of 1-3 seconds.

No comparisons between the Momentus XT and these? I am curious about the performance difference between the two. Also, any plans on maybe a RAID-0 test? Been looking to ditch the pokey drives in my 17R SE for some higher performance, same capacity drives, ie. non-pure-SSD.

So... no actual in game test? Just wondering 'cuz that was my complaint with the Seagate Momentus hybrid. There would be pauses during BF:bad company 2 of 1-3 seconds.
That may have just been a problem with BF:BC2. I have a Momentus XT 750gb as my gaming drive, and don't suffer pausing issues during gaming (I currently play Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite).

I had a Momentus XT in my laptop for about a year, the original 500 GB model. And, I came to similar conclusions. It was definitely faster using the system than when running a normal drive. But, some things would still trip it up, like spell checkers and if I didn't maintain a regular amount of application loading. Which, I didn't ever change that behavior so I would end up in situations where I'm suddenly reminded that I'm not working with a real SSD. Hybrid drives are definitely more appealing if you have a tight budget. But, in the end, I've already decided that a requirement for all future computers of mine is a SSD.

That may have just been a problem with BF:BC2. I have a Momentus XT 750gb as my gaming drive, and don't suffer pausing issues during gaming (I currently play Crysis 3, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite).

What about Multiplayer FPS? I wonder if it was trying to cache the DLed game info. blitzkommando posted the model I had, the older 500gig. Perhaps they've finally addressed the issue.

Thanks for the review anyway you guys could add actual power ratings and temperatujres? One of the reasons I stayed away from the 750gb Momentus XTs was the larger heat draw. I know these should be better but I'd like to put some numbers since if I get them they'd go in a laptop.

This was a known problem that (I believe) was addressed by a firmware update.

My issue with these newer drives is not the speed reduction to 5,400 RPM, it's the NAND going from SLC to MLC. On a long-term basis I'd like to see what this does to reliability.

Outside of my product concern, another solid review!

I do like the Seagate SSHD, I have friends that have them and really like them. I was wondering though, some time ago I heard about these caching drives and was very interested, but I have an older AMD system. checking on the websites of the Cosair and SanDisk they don't say you need specific Processor requirements, just Sata II connection and windows 7, which I both have, am I right about this assumption or am I up in the night?

Looks like I'll be buying one of these soon then. I like 500GB of storage in my laptop, and you can't get a 512GB SSD for $90.

My laptop usage is very "typical" (a few apps used consistently and nothing else). I'm guessing I'll see a lot of benefit from this drive!

i am thinking this may be a better option for a vista or older os due to lack of trim support

Is there any reason not to get one of these for a secondary storage drive in a desktop system? Of course even a slow SSD is going to be faster, but the cheapest 512MB SSD is north of $300.

I bought one of these for my PS3. There is a video from CES where it loads a lot faster than the standard drive and it is 500GB instead of the 120GB I have in the PS3 now. I hope it works great.

Back