• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Seagate hard drives = CRAP

EnderW said:
2 months? more like next week.
It will be right next to the "how much faster will my games load with RAID0?", "which of these almost identical hard drives will be better?", and "how fast is a Raptor?" threads

:rolleyes:

Fast enough to catch that fat guy from Jurassic Park... Raptors are also very smart. Watch out. :eek:
 
EnderW said:
2 months? more like next week.
It will be right next to the "how much faster will my games load with RAID0?", "which of these almost identical hard drives will be better?", and "how fast is a Raptor?" threads

:rolleyes:


You forgot the "How much better is the 8800GT_ over xxxx video card", and all the other ones.. *too tired to list them all out*.

Argh.
 
My last 3 seagate hard drives were all non-fluid bearing, so they are noisy as hell, and I got them all replaced, but nothing wrong w/ the data, just noise.

The newly replaced drives, both are SCSI 320, 15K rpm, are very good, quiet, and fast, no problem so fast, it's been replaced since Aug.

I posted a thread on whether I should buy Seagate or Samsung, [scroll down a few thread], you can see it, and everyone said seagate.

Calling local and ask around, one dealer said he is stuck w/ 10 dead Samsung hard drive, and no warranty as OEM drive is only 1 or 2 yr.

4 other dealer friends said Seagate as well, mostly due to the warranty.

To make matter more interesting, even if Seagate MTBF is unchanged at 1.2M hr., I can't see how Samsung MTBF be sitting at 600K hr., that's extremely low.

Before Maxtor, Quantum merged w/ Seagate, the lowest MTBF is 1M hr., and I'm not a fan of WD, so in the end, there is not much of a choice, and I just pick up a Seagate 320GB SATA 2 today.

One thing though, I did hear one dealer said since Seagate bought out Maxtor, they have been relying heavily on Maxtor's China manufacturing plant, and the drive quality is not as good as the old days.

So I make sure the drive I bought is MAde in Singapore, Sinagpore has 4 M people, only rely on 7 exports and make their country wealthy. Hard drive is one of them. All the hard drive I bought that's made in Singapore, they all last past the warranty period.
 
Happy Hopping said:
My last 3 seagate hard drives were all non-fluid bearing, so they are noisy as hell, and I got them all replaced, but nothing wrong w/ the data, just noise.

The newly replaced drives, both are SCSI 320, 15K rpm, are very good, quiet, and fast, no problem so fast, it's been replaced since Aug.

I posted a thread on whether I should buy Seagate or Samsung, [scroll down a few thread], you can see it, and everyone said seagate.

Calling local and ask around, one dealer said he is stuck w/ 10 dead Samsung hard drive, and no warranty as OEM drive is only 1 or 2 yr.

4 other dealer friends said Seagate as well, mostly due to the warranty.

To make matter more interesting, even if Seagate MTBF is unchanged at 1.2M hr., I can't see how Samsung MTBF be sitting at 600K hr., that's extremely low.

Before Maxtor, Quantum merged w/ Seagate, the lowest MTBF is 1M hr., and I'm not a fan of WD, so in the end, there is not much of a choice, and I just pick up a Seagate 320GB SATA 2 today.

One thing though, I did hear one dealer said since Seagate bought out Maxtor, they have been relying heavily on Maxtor's China manufacturing plant, and the drive quality is not as good as the old days.

So I make sure the drive I bought is MAde in Singapore, Sinagpore has 4 M people, only rely on 7 exports and make their country wealthy. Hard drive is one of them. All the hard drive I bought that's made in Singapore, they all last past the warranty period.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Note, I don't think that one specific brand is more reliable - just that there are measurable differences between various drive models, manufacturing methods/plants and so on. By no means would I say "Brand X is always better then Brand Y." That's just stupidity and anyone claiming that point of view is making a fool of themselves.
 
Happy Hopping said:
My last 3 seagate hard drives were all non-fluid bearing, so they are noisy as hell, and I got them all replaced, but nothing wrong w/ the data, just noise.

The newly replaced drives, both are SCSI 320, 15K rpm, are very good, quiet, and fast, no problem so fast, it's been replaced since Aug.

I posted a thread on whether I should buy Seagate or Samsung, [scroll down a few thread], you can see it, and everyone said seagate.

Calling local and ask around, one dealer said he is stuck w/ 10 dead Samsung hard drive, and no warranty as OEM drive is only 1 or 2 yr.

4 other dealer friends said Seagate as well, mostly due to the warranty.

To make matter more interesting, even if Seagate MTBF is unchanged at 1.2M hr., I can't see how Samsung MTBF be sitting at 600K hr., that's extremely low.

Before Maxtor, Quantum merged w/ Seagate, the lowest MTBF is 1M hr., and I'm not a fan of WD, so in the end, there is not much of a choice, and I just pick up a Seagate 320GB SATA 2 today.

One thing though, I did hear one dealer said since Seagate bought out Maxtor, they have been relying heavily on Maxtor's China manufacturing plant, and the drive quality is not as good as the old days.

So I make sure the drive I bought is MAde in Singapore, Sinagpore has 4 M people, only rely on 7 exports and make their country wealthy. Hard drive is one of them. All the hard drive I bought that's made in Singapore, they all last past the warranty period.


Guess i got a rebadged MAXTOR MIC -shit then.

i'll do more homework when buying my drives next time IMHO. Singapore drives are faster by 2-5 % too...and more reliable.
 
Back
Top