Seagate Cutting Over 1,000 Jobs Worldwide

HardOCP News

[H] News
After back to back quarters of declining sales, Seagate announced today that it is cutting over one thousand jobs. The company expects to save $113 million annually from the restructuring.

Hard-disk maker Seagate Technology Plc said it planned to cut 1,050 jobs, or 2 percent of its workforce, as part of a restructuring program. The company said on Thursday it expected to save about $113 million annually from the restructuring and incur pretax charges of about $53 million.

Had eight 3TB drives, the 3000M0001. Even defended them to others saying they are bad.

Some had 1 yr warranties, some 2, no idea why.

All running great. Until a month ago. 3 drives failed within a week. 1 drive this past weekend reported bad sectors, so pulling it out as well. Replacing them with as needed with 4TB HGST NAS drives with 3 year warranties. Hope these do better.

They need to come up with new prodcuts, or expand on the existing products.

Adding more cache to the Momentus drives. 8GB is too little and too slow. Needs more like 64-128. Incorporating both an SSD and a HDD in one package. This has already been done, I think by Western Digital. But I don't know if they still sell it.

Or making something like the OSX Fusion drive at the hardware level. Where the data is physically stored on an SSD and if not used for a while it gets moved to a HDD...but it's seamless to the user.

The OSX Fusion drive is fantastic. I hope Microsoft picks up on it at some point.

Had eight 3TB drives, the 3000M0001. Even defended them to others saying they are bad.

Some had 1 yr warranties, some 2, no idea why.

All running great. Until a month ago. 3 drives failed within a week. 1 drive this past weekend reported bad sectors, so pulling it out as well. Replacing them with as needed with 4TB HGST NAS drives with 3 year warranties. Hope these do better.

Welcome to the real world of Seagate drives. It's almost as if they are pre-programed to fail a few months after the warranty runs out.

that $113 million better go to making better hard drives, SEAGATE

This ten thousand times.

I actively warn people away from their products. Especially considering Backblazes' large, statistically significant sample of 1.5 and 3TB Seagate drives that experience 10-40% annual failure rates (the 4TB models are under 5%).

So long as HGST keeps up their quality (they're owned by Western Digital now) I'll stick with them and their miniscule failure rates.

This ten thousand times.

I actively warn people away from their products. Especially considering Backblazes' large, statistically significant sample of 1.5 and 3TB Seagate drives that experience 10-40% annual failure rates (the 4TB models are under 5%).

So long as HGST keeps up their quality (they're owned by Western Digital now) I'll stick with them and their miniscule failure rates.

Backblaze "statistically significant" LMFAO

Their crap has been debunked a hundred times over

Their pricing has been so static over the last few years. I just can't justify the cost. The need is slowly rising, but I'm just not desperate enough to purchase more drives.

Seagate HDS suck. Of all the components I've had personally fail, Seagate HDS have been the worst by a large margin

I've had them fail over the years at a higher rate than any other HD manufacturer, including some cheap shit knock off brand I used in the pricewatch days. Meanwhile my Samsung (before buyout), hgst, and WD drives have all overall done well. I've had those fail too, but it was after 5+ years. The seagates mostly kicked the bucket in under two years. Totally unacceptable.

I have read a few of those. i still find it valid. why?

1. if all the sizes and brands are subject to the same buying and environment standard, then it gives a good way to compare them to each other. I am buying HGST now, but the $200 consumer version, not the $350 enterprise version. looking for the lowest price in a decent brand.

2. if they have a rough environment that consumer hard drives are being exposed to that we wouldn't be expected to expose our hard drives to, then they should last longer in our home environment, again, giving a relative comparison between brands and models/sizes.

what else was "debunked" making it useless? maybe i missed some other articles.

Their usage conditions are not necessarily reflective of how most drives are used, but they DO have large enough sample sizes to be "statistically significant" in showing a difference in failure rates between the brands.

This combined with anectodal evidence that tends to suggest that people often have problems with Seagate drives is enough for me to not take a risk with them.

I have had 12 WD Reds in my server. The oldest ones are about 2 years old. Most of them are about 1 year old. (I phased out my old WD greens, at the same time as I doubled the size of my pool).

Thus far - knock on wood - no problems.

The WD Greens DID fail (or most of them did, I still have two 3TB's in my main rig as a local mirror) but I also abused the hell out of them, and never ran the WDIDLE3 command to stop the frequent head parks.

One of them had over 600k head parks :p It also wound up with corrupted firmware, and when you plug it in, the computer reads it as a 1.1PB drive :p

Knowing what I know today, I would have gone with HGST drives for my server build, but thus far (knock on wood again) everything is smooth sailing on the WD Reds.

2. if they have a rough environment that consumer hard drives are being exposed to that we wouldn't be expected to expose our hard drives to, then they should last longer in our home environment, again, giving a relative comparison between brands and models/sizes.

One would think this, but this is based on the assumption that more tightly spaced and hotter drives are the worst case.

Based on the google study from a few years back, they actually found failure rates to be HIGHER with cooler drives. Marginally so, but still.

There are also ways in which backblaze's setups are probably worse, like cramming all those drives together probably isn't great for transmitting drive to drive vibration.

Long story short, the type of rationale you are trying to construct may be accurate, but it also could be wrong. We wouldn't know for sure without a carefully constructed study looking all the multiple variables, and their interaction effects.

We stopped using Seagate crap years ago. I tell people to stay away from that junk. So many failures from 2008-2011.

i had/have a Seagate 1.5TB that i got September 2009, it started telling me drive is about to fail around April 2015, so i made it as a seconds drive for some game and bought a SSD

ps, the seagate still works, but it not running windows i don't know the full nature of it's crap

games play just fine on it

i, was given a seagate 3TB expansion and it's been running great so far, minus the USB 2.0 i got it plugged into, it'll change when i get a Z170 motherboard

I think Seagates primary problem is quality control. They have let their product go to shit and pretty much everyone knows it and enough people actively avoid them now. Sadly WD has been turning down this path as well.

I've had good luck with their slower green drives which I use for miscellaneous stuff and backups. I have a couple of Seagate drives that are nearly 5 years old and still working fine. I hope to move to all SSDs in the next year or two.

"Seagate HDS suck. Of all the components I've had personally fail, Seagate HDS have been the worst by a large margin" Agree. They've gotten so bad that I actually gave away the one I picked for free in some store's Windows 7 OEM DVD deal, rather than risk my data on one.

Never thought I'd see the day I was giving away storage.

I do have an ancient seagate in an old PVR that I keep around to make ISO rips. Still work great. Guess I should have stocked up before the company went to shit :)

I have one of the older ide drives in my 939 machine, still running. Back from the era when they were still good...

Won't buy a seagate drive now, for anything. Almost feels like they went so downhill that a drive can fail just from sitting on the shelf.

I have run quite a few Seagates. The newer 1.5 TB ones crashed. Dead. :( All my older ones, including an old 210MB one are still functional (not used anymore, but it was in use for quite a long time). A 1 year lifetime blows for a HDD.

I liked Seagate and have used them for years. Just seems like the newer stuff isn't as good. At all...

113,000,000 / 1,050 employees = average compensation of $107k per employee.. so after benefits / over head that would average alot of 80k jobs...

I keep hearing this but my experience with a rather large pool of drives (not backblaze large, but larger than average [H] user I think) mirrors theirs almost identically...

seagate drives die en mass
wd drives are pretty good
hitachi drives are great

I keep hearing this but my experience with a rather large pool of drives (not backblaze large, but larger than average [H] user I think) mirrors theirs almost identically...

seagate drives die en mass
wd drives are pretty good
hitachi drives are great

At this point it's basically pointless to look at statistics unless you're buying 1000s of drives.

The most drives that died on me were WD, also had a lot of Hitachi drives die, but far less than WD, and then some seagates dies as well, but nothing that stands out.

And this with a sample size of about 200 drives over the past 5 years.

I've had 100% failure on a raid 5 of ~160GB Seagate enterprise SATA drives -- luckily not all at the same time, and when 2 did fail at the same time, one was a hot spare. I don't trust them at all now.

Back