Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB HD -$109.00

Anyone know how loud these drives are? I've got an old 1tb hitachi deskstar drive I ripped out of an external and the clicking of it drives my girlfriends crazy.

Anyone know how loud these drives are? I've got an old 1tb hitachi deskstar drive I ripped out of an external and the clicking of it drives my girlfriends crazy.

I got a 2TB Hitatchi Coolspin in my HTPC for DVD Rips and I cannot hear it at all.

How are Seagate drives these days? The last time I bought a hard drive, Seagate was plagued with so many problems, everyone avoided them. Did they finally get their stuff together?

I've got 1 in my HTPC and its been fine. Cant comment on sound levels though cause theres other drives and fans runing but i will say i dont hear any hard drive noise over them and there quiet fans.

I paid $89 for it locally at Microcenter when they had a deal on it months ago right after the flood before the prices went straight up. $109 is the cheapest i've seen these drives since on sale at MC.

How are Seagate drives these days? The last time I bought a hard drive, Seagate was plagued with so many problems, everyone avoided them. Did they finally get their stuff together?

EDIT: There $134 at MC now.

Currently the best price on a 2TB? Guess if you need storage it's not bad.

If he's posting on here probably a few at least (on World of Warcraft).

On topic: Just picked one up to back up my other failing 2TB before I send it off for RMA. Thanks OP.

Bah... I bought this drive yesterday, before the promo, and had to may for shipping. If I'd bought it today, I would have saved $28.

contact support via chat and they will credit you the difference. they did for me when that happened.

I thought this thread was about a Seagate 2TB HDD for negative one hundred nine dollars.

These dries are very quiet. I had one in a case with a low RPM 120mm fan and a 80mm quiet psu fan. VERY quiet system, and the drive is pretty fast as well for a 5900rpm drive.

Currently the best price on a 2TB? Guess if you need storage it's not bad.

That's exactly what I'm going to use it for,I already have a USB enclosure to put it in. Price was too good to pass up,given what drives cost lately.

I goofed and hit s when I shouldn't have. Just the one. Probably going to pick this up for myself.

It affects latency but is not equal to it. That also is not transfer speed.... That's latency. Sigh x2.........

When did I ever mention transfer speed? Latency is more important than transfer speed in any modern drive. That's why SSD's are so awesome, minimal latency.

Granted RPM:Latency ratio has increased tremendously over the years, but still have you ever used a drive with super high latency as an OS drive? It's absolutely terrible. In normal operating conditions transfer speed is irrelevant. your OS will rarely do sequential reads for longer than a gig or two.

I picked up one of these for my future atom ftp/http server.

Back