Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 320GB, $94.99 @ NEWEGG

Kevlarman said:
My brother just bought one of these drives and he's had nothing but problems trying to clone his Windows partition from his IDE drive to the new SATA drive. Stupid Microsoft.
Stupid Asus. Or is is stupid Seagate? :p

In any case, these are great drives at a great price!
Try using Acronis TrueImage, I used it for the same purpose, and it worked beautifully!

Not only did I buy one, my brother bought 2, and I am getting his old 2, 200 gig ide drives :D

hmm wonder if i should ditch my 2 x 300gb maxtors 16mb cache drives for 2 of these ?

jetjaguar said:
hmm wonder if i should ditch my 2 x 300gb maxtors 16mb cache drives for 2 of these ?

I am ditching my maxtors asap.

I got one of these drives in my pc right now, it sounds goofy as hell lol...all you here when it writes is tick tick tick tick.

sc0tty8 said:
I got one of these drives in my pc right now, it sounds goofy as hell lol...all you here when it writes is tick tick tick tick.

From the thread i looked at over at storagereview i gathered that most of these 7200.10 drives are pretty loud in comparison.

burningrave101 said:
From the thread i looked at over at storagereview i gathered that most of these 7200.10 drives are pretty loud in comparison.

I wouldn't say its loud per say, but I do have 5 case fans and 5 other drives so...

I bit on the 320GB hard drive; it's a great deal. HOWEVER, it just came in this afternoon and words cannot express the shoddy packing job done by Newegg's NJ warehouse. The drive was in a box about the size of a hardcover book, and about 6 inches deep. It was filled about half-way with packing peanuts, and the drive - in its anti-static bag - was wrapped in bubble wrap.

Sounds pretty typical, eh? Well, the bubble wrap would barely fit around the drive if it was around the drive at all. Someone just folded the wrap over the drive and tossed it into the box. When I opened the box, the first thing I see is the circuit board side of the drive. Everything else was underneath the drive and there was empty space about an inch deep on top. The drive looks like it's been tossed around in a lotto ball mixer.

I called Newegg before even touching the thing, and I was told to try it and see if it worked. If it doesn't work, they would "file a claim" and basically have me send it back. If this thing doesn't work and I have to pay one cent in shipping charges I won't be so reactionary as to say I'll never buy from them again, but I won't be happy. Even if it does work, I'll be wondering how long it will work.

I will say that their customer support was very understanding, and I've never had a problem with anything that I've ordered from them in the past, but COME ON. I have a 3-year old niece who could, without direction, do a better packaging job. This isn't a T-shirt you're shipping me, it's a computer component.

Sorry about the rant; I'm just disappointed. I don't have an excess of either time or money to spend on this stuff.

5tharrow said:
I bit on the 320GB hard drive; it's a great deal. HOWEVER, it just came in this afternoon and words cannot express the shoddy packing job done by Newegg's NJ warehouse. The drive was in a box about the size of a hardcover book, and about 6 inches deep. It was filled about half-way with packing peanuts, and the drive - in its anti-static bag - was wrapped in bubble wrap.

Sounds pretty typical, eh? Well, the bubble wrap would barely fit around the drive if it was around the drive at all. Someone just folded the wrap over the drive and tossed it into the box. When I opened the box, the first thing I see is the circuit board side of the drive. Everything else was underneath the drive and there was empty space about an inch deep on top. The drive looks like it's been tossed around in a lotto ball mixer.

I called Newegg before even touching the thing, and I was told to try it and see if it worked. If it doesn't work, they would "file a claim" and basically have me send it back. If this thing doesn't work and I have to pay one cent in shipping charges I won't be so reactionary as to say I'll never buy from them again, but I won't be happy. Even if it does work, I'll be wondering how long it will work.

I will say that their customer support was very understanding, and I've never had a problem with anything that I've ordered from them in the past, but COME ON. I have a 3-year old niece who could, without direction, do a better packaging job. This isn't a T-shirt you're shipping me, it's a computer component.

Sorry about the rant; I'm just disappointed. I don't have an excess of either time or money to spend on this stuff.
Déjà vu ?

But yea i also hate the way they pack their hard drives.

If it's any consolation, i've received refurbished/open box hard drives that were wrapped the same way and they're still going strong (1 to 2 years old)

Most people know newegg does a shoddy job of packing HDs. ZZF is better i believe.

yeah, but i've never received a drive from them that didn't have at least 2 layers of bubble wrap and the box filled with peanuts... previous poster's packing is rediculous as is my spelling

Man, I just saw this deal and picked up a pair for these things for $99.99 each!

Smokin' deal! :D

lol i'm a cheapo i ordered 2 of these at the same time but it only took off one $5.00 coupon and i also ordered a vantec nexstar enclosure so i guess i couldn't get the free 3 day shipping so i canceled the order and placed 3 seperate orders to get free 3 day shipping and a total of $10.00 off on the drives, then i found that the red vantec nexstar's are on sale for 28.99 (normally 34.99) so i jumped on that and wound up saving $11.81 over the same order previous configuration. lol

Stu55 said:
So newegg has their hd packaging down for straight now?

Mine came in a plastic case with a shit load of bubble wrap. Was very tight and you'd have to try really hard to break it, I was satisfied.

I want to order two but the promo coupon only takes one $5 discount on the order, would have thought it was $5 for each drive.

TimothyB said:
I want to order two but the promo coupon only takes one $5 discount on the order, would have thought it was $5 for each drive.

do 2 seperate orders....

Max Wedge said:
I cant get the promo code to work :confused:

Today the price went back down to 94.99 from the $99.99 price when the coupon worked, but with the new 94.99 price the coupon stopped.

TimothyB said:
Today the price went back down to 94.99 from the $99.99 price when the coupon worked, but with the new 94.99 price the coupon stopped.

ok so u can't use the rebate code i'm assuming?

Actually i got it to work a coupe hours after that post. 89.99 shipped :D
But the promo expires today, I believe.

i tried using the code yesterday, and it didnt work, tried today and order went through for 89.99!

just got in for $89.99 as well :-D -- free shipping, and no tax. HOT!

EDIT:
ah crap, I just realized this is SATA, which I don't have on my PC... should I buy a SATA pci card (where can i get one cheap?), a PATA/IDE convertor, or just cancel and get a PATA drive... any suggestions?

EDIT 2:
should i just order this SATA/PCI card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124023 -- reviews seem good, and it includes a cable, too... will add $19 to my order, but I'll have another SATA port for another hard drive in the future, plus i can use the added IDE port that comes with it

EDIT 3:
ordered the card above, I hope it all works allright... -- i'm down to 1 gb of space between 200+ gigs of drives, yikes. i cannot wait for this bad boy :-D

GULP i can't believe i ordered 2 of these w/o checking if they were IDE!! SON OF A #$#$%^$^ Luckily i do believe my DFI lanparty nf4 has sata on it so i should be ok with that however the vantec nexstar enclosure i bought will surely be useless now and i'll have to RMA that and pay for s/h back. Do they make an enclosure for a SATA drive that can output usb? This new one from rosewill has both connections on back so i'm assuming something like this would be the right thing to go with? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173022

I bought one last week and I was very tempted to buy a second one today but every single goddamned time I've tried to use the promo code it has said the code is invalid. Just about everyone else is getting the discount but not me. It wouldn't work last week either...

Oh well, they lost a sale. :p

Blue Falcon said:
I bought one last week and I was very tempted to buy a second one today but every single goddamned time I've tried to use the promo code it has said the code is invalid. Just about everyone else is getting the discount but not me. It wouldn't work last week either...

Oh well, they lost a sale. :p
Have you tried clearing cache/cookies/temporary internet files yet?

You could also try ordering from another rig, not sure if it'll help though...

SJetski71 said:
Have you tried clearing cache/cookies/temporary internet files yet?

You could also try ordering from another rig, not sure if it'll help though...

OK I just tried clearing my cache, cookies, passwords... no go.
I tried from another rig in the living room, no go.
I tried changing my IP address (reset the router), no go.

Am I missing something? The code does go in the 'Apply Promo code' field right under the gift certificates section, right?

Blue Falcon said:
The code does go in the 'Apply Promo code' field right under the gift certificates section, right?
Yes, but the code is showing as invalid for me as well now (???).

Perhaps place an order over the phone instead?

SJetski71 said:
Yes, but the code is showing as invalid for me as well now (???).

Perhaps place an order over the phone instead?
Perhaps the code has run out. They're only good for a certain amount of time, I'd imagine that promotion was only until the end of July. It worked for me yesterday, and doesn't today, so I doubt it will for anyone now.

The code was good from the 28th to the 31st only according to a post by Newegg over at Anandtech. Oh well, I went ahead and snagged one anyway... when you're paying for rush processing and next day air I guess $5 doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

:p

One hell of a deal especially considering that:

A: These are seagate... very reliable and a warranty to back it.
B: These are FAST AS HELL... easily keep up with my old Raptor 74GB.
C: 320GB for under $100 for crissakes! Do you guys realize how much g0at pr0n that can hold?

vend_a_goat.jpg

That is TOTALLY sick, twisted, and tasteless!!!

(Does that vending machine have the Tennessee fainting variety?)...LOL

Blue Falcon said:
......A: These are seagate... very reliable and a warranty to back it.
B: These are FAST AS HELL... easily keep up with my old Raptor 74GB............
]

I just finished my order for a new computer with Conroe. I ordered one of thse Seagates 320 for storage and scratch and a Raptor 74gb drive for the main system. Was the a mistake, was the extra cost with the Raptor worth it?

Back