Seagate Barracuda 160GB Internal Hard Drive for $19.99 After Pricematch / Rebate

fusionrs

[H]ard|Gawd
CompUSA has a great deal on the Seagate Barracuda 160GB hard drive

1. Print out Walmart's page showing the hard drive for $98.88

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2349359

2. Go to your local Compusa. http://www.compusa.com/locations/default.asp

3. Find the ST3160023A-RK ( Harddrive Price : $119.99 )

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304907

4. Rebate Price : -$80.00 ( Will print out at cash register )

Final Price : $19.99

That's 12.5¢ per GB.

I just picked this up and got this enclosure for $30 http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=324338&pfp=BROWSE

I noticed the hd at Walmart is SATA and the hd at Compusa is UATA. And I looked of the model number (ST3160023A) at Seagate webside and its suppose to be the UATA drive. So, Walmart messed up either the specs of the drive or model number. Anyways if you were looking for an SATA (NON NCQ) drive then I'd check the UPC code on both of boxes (Walmart and Compusa) to see if they're the same. If so, buy both and return the one from Compusa to Walmart. I'd keep that on the dl tho. :D

A lil off topic, but check this out (linky). Advertising confusion?

There are 4 MIRs on this drive, nice no contridictions on the MIRs, either!
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304907&pfp=external&tabtype=rb

-$30.00 CompUSA Mail-In Rebate (Valid: 7/3/2005 - 7/9/2005)
Copy of the UPC
Copy of your sales receipt
http://image.compusa.com/pdfs/0016500.pdf

-$10.00 Additional Mfr. Mail-In Rebate (Valid: 7/3/2005 - 7/9/2005)
Copy of the original UPC
http://image.compusa.com/pdfs/0016673.pdf

-$40.00 Mfr. Mail-in Rebate (Valid: 7/3/2005 - 7/9/2005)
Original UPC
http://image.compusa.com/pdfs/0016672.pdf

When compusa does a price match, do they double check with store or whoever to make sure that they are accutally selling it at that price?

^^ Generally they are pretty retarded about checking, one time, by accident, I told them they had something for $10 cheaper on thier site (I was mistaken), they took $10 off the price, w/o checking.

suckers

vbrtrmn said:
^^ Generally they are pretty retarded about checking, one time, by accident, I told them they had something for $10 cheaper on thier site (I was mistaken), they took $10 off the price, w/o checking.

suckers

well then...a lil html editing might be in order :D

I was able to this HD through price match at CompUSA on 7/6. Since I got it in NYC so the tax would be a little higher. I had to pay around 109 or something like that, forgot. The $80 is MIR.

I think the deal ends on the 9th, so hurry!

I tried in Raleigh, NC and the manager insisted that compusa's advertised price of $39.99 was lower than that at walmart. I persisted that I didnt care about the MIR's and he didnt need to give me the forms if he didn't want, but no dice. Several of the employees basically said the same thing before going to get the manager for the final word.

Let me know if anyone gets it to work there!

This probably won't work although the tip is good. These are the problems you'll encounter:

A. Many manages include the rebates while doing the pricematch so they'll consider their final price to be lower than Walmarts.
B. It's against CompUSA policy to pricematch with "Wholesellers" such as Walmart.
C. When a cashier is in doubt about a pricematch they will refer to their manager who will invariably return to reasons A & B.

Your best bet is to pick out a lazy and inexperienced cashier who will give you the pricematch without thinking about it. Under no circumstances should you ask the manager to pricematch.

I did this last weekend. Luckily, CompUSA matched Walmart for me. As long as the rebates go through ( I was very thorough), it should come out to a final price of $18.88 for me. It depends on how the cashier takes care of it. Mine never even called for the manager.

ewb302 said:
I did this last weekend. Luckily, CompUSA matched Walmart for me. As long as the rebates go through ( I was very thorough), it should come out to a final price of $18.88 for me. It depends on how the cashier takes care of it. Mine never even called for the manager.

Yeah I tried it with three different cashiers and all of them referred to the manager. I still bought the dirve though as $40 is a very good pice.

Hvatum said:
This probably won't work although the tip is good. These are the problems you'll encounter:

A. Many manages include the rebates while doing the pricematch so they'll consider their final price to be lower than Walmarts.
B. It's against CompUSA policy to pricematch with "Wholesellers" such as Walmart.
C. When a cashier is in doubt about a pricematch they will refer to their manager who will invariably return to reasons A & B.

Your best bet is to pick out a lazy and inexperienced cashier who will give you the pricematch without thinking about it. Under no circumstances should you ask the manager to pricematch.

ditto. most PM policies specify advertised price. the ads all list the price AR, so it is low. sometimes you get lucky though.

for my experience, i just bring the HD to the register, the cashier turned to manager and I gave manager the printed out flyer (HD listing from walmart's website). The manager just went to the computer and confirmed that the HD marketed by walmart is the exact same kind. She game the cashier the go and dropped down the price.

As for the rebate, they weren't printed out after the credit card receipt. Before then, most likely the manager/cashier won't know if this item has a rebate. Even they scan the item, it will show $119 on their computer cuz the $80 are MIR, it doesn't show up on the price list. (at least I didn't see any where on the screen about the $80)

Either way, it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Just bring the print out and ask them that you want to price match. Try act as you know what you are doing.

someone came into my store today and tried to do this. I didnt even know about this but i figured it happened like this. (i work at compusa) the true way to pricematch is the match the price between rebate. If the CSR (customer service rep) knows what they are doing they can price match correctly. the cashier who the guy went to attempted to do this, but needed an override due to the price difference, once i noticed that i didnt allow it, you get one of the two prices.

aka

best buy has a router on sale for 49.99 with 40.00 in mail in rebates, so its 9.99
compusa has same router for 49.99 with 20.00 in mail in rebates

the smart cashier would match it as 29.99, with the 20 rebate so its even. some dont bother checking

and about the walmart thing, they normaly do match walmart, walmart isnt a wholesale store, we wont match sams club though.

Arg this is what I get for being in the sun all day. So I go to compusa first time get the SATA 160 gig for $98 then I come back here see that I did wrong thing so I go back to store and I screw up the add thing so now I got the both HDs I will probally return but this one for $40. Anyone know of better deals cause I'm thinkin I should return both of these

I bought one yesterday. I would have printed out the Walmart ad to attempt the pricematch, but my old harddrive crashed so I was in desperate need of a HD fast.

Anyway even with out the pricematch $40 + about $10 in tax = $50 isn't too bad of a price for a 160Gb. Especially, considering I needed it yesterday ASAP. Couldn't wait around for a better deal or an internet order to ship, etc..

you wont be able to find an inexperienced cashier for the pricematching, cause usually if the cashier is inexperienced they will ask thier lead(head cashier) and then it will go to the manager, this happened several times at the one i work at, with all three different leads doing the same thing

None of the people that came in were able to get the pricematch

so I got the Seagate 160 SATA for $98 this a good deal?

paladin732 said:
you wont be able to find an inexperienced cashier for the pricematching, cause usually if the cashier is inexperienced they will ask thier lead(head cashier) and then it will go to the manager, this happened several times at the one i work at, with all three different leads doing the same thing

None of the people that came in were able to get the pricematch

not too sure if you actually work for compusa, because their is no head cashier. Just a Front End Coordinator.

looks like 1 of them is a compusa rebate.

1 7/3/2005 7/9/2005 $30.00 CompUSA Mail-In Rebate

2 7/3/2005 7/9/2005 $10.00 Additional Mfr. Mail-In Rebate

3 7/3/2005 7/9/2005 $40.00 Mfr. Mail-In Rebate

Back