Seagate 8tb hdd

petesmc

Limp Gawd
Have the Seagate 8tb drives actually been released? I can't find anywhere online to purchase these. They would be fantastic for NAS storage.

I thought they were using some technology that is equivalent to tape drives that it was for backup and store away only.

I would not buy anything related to Seagate even if are 100gb HDD..

I'm also waiting for these. Perfect for my 1:1 mkv bluray rips.

smr drives are not for a nas. the overlapping tracks really get annoying when fragmentation starts. you then get max 9mbyte/sec sequential write speed.

they were available for a couple of weeks in austria and germany, but sales have been stopped suddenl.

These are cold storage drives, they are not meant to be read every day and run like you would a NAS drive. You write your data to these disks as TRUE backups and leave them alone for the one day you need data as you accidentally deleted it.

I was thinking of getting one of these for additional back-up, but might be overkill for my use.

you'll want 2 in a RAID 1 if you can afford it. Just in case.

I would say most users would be better served by making 2 independent backups and rotating each week however I suspect that most users are too lazy for this..

These are cold storage drives, they are not meant to be read every day and run like you would a NAS drive. You write your data to these disks as TRUE backups and leave them alone for the one day you need data as you accidentally deleted it.
whats the problem with them being read regularly?

dont you mean write

Never had a Seagate drive go bad on me. Running 5 of the 4TB NAS drives without issue.

For 5 years in a row (out of ~75 Seagates spinning 24/7/365) I had to RMA 10+ Seagate drives. Although like your response I do not have 1000s of drives so my experience is pretty meaningless as far as describing the millions of drives Seagate sells annually.

I still don't understand the difference between these drives. Are you telling me that these will radically degrade and/or fail if I use them merely for storing and viewing media?

For 5 years in a row (out of ~75 Seagates spinning 24/7/365) I had to RMA 10+ Seagate drives. Although like your response I do not have 1000s of drives so my experience is pretty meaningless as far as describing the millions of drives Seagate sells annually.

Fair enough. When I read the Backblaze article, the thing that caught my attention was the fact that the consistent failing drives were all 7200.12's in the 1.5TB or 3TB size (IIRC...probably a different model, but the capacities were right). Might have just been a bad model.

Fair enough. When I read the Backblaze article, the thing that caught my attention was the fact that the consistent failing drives were all 7200.12's in the 1.5TB or 3TB size (IIRC...probably a different model, but the capacities were right). Might have just been a bad model.

I remember the article you were looking at and the dire picture that BB paints on those seagate hard drives.

Remember those hard drives that failed were ones that BB was buying from Best Buy, Office Depot, Stables during the Thailand flood. They were going from Oregon to Texas picking up as many off the shelf hard drives they could. There's a reason those hard drives failed as they were not designed to do what it is that BB was having them do. They were for home use and not for a server farm.

The beauty of BB's design is that it's a write once, read seldom system but those drives need to stay online 24/7/365. I highly doubt people's home use of these USB hard drives were anywhere close to what BB put them through.

I had 3/3 of the 3TB drives fail on me in rapid succession. Hoping the 8TB drive is better!

Back