Seagate 7200.11 640GB is out.

S-B

[H]ard|Gawd
Seagate's 7200.11 640GB drive is out and about. Was this some kind of silent release to vendors, because I didn't hear a peep about it until I saw it on sale for $98 today. Theoretically, it should perform better than WD's 640GB due to the fact that it has twice the cache.

Does anyone have a review of this? Does anyone even own one? It's a really tempting drive, despite being $22 more than WD's offering.

Model #ST3640323AS

Key Advantages
  • Delivers 640-GB capacity
  • Ships with the industry’s most reliable and proven perpendicular magnetic recording technology
  • Delivers high performance
    • 115-MB/s sustained data rate
    • 32-MB cache buffer
    • Environmentally friendly
    • Consumes almost 15 percent less power during idle than previous products, enabling customers to build low-power systems
    • Meets strict RoHS environmental requirements
  • Leverages best combination of technology (areal density, PMR) and proven components for volume availability
  • Ships with an industry-best 5-year limited warranty

Best-Fit Applications
  • Gamer PCs
  • High-end PCs
  • Mainstream PCs
  • Workstations
  • Desktop RAID 1 or 0 systems (<3 drives in one system)
  • USB/FireWire/eSATA personal external storage

Do you have links?

Does anyone have a review of this? Does anyone even own one? It's a really tempting drive, despite being $22 more than WD's offering.

where have you seen a new WD6400AAKS for $76?

Mwahaha, 2x the cache! Seagate again FTW!! Hopefully the price will come down a bit when production ramps up with demand.

Do you have links?
where have you seen a new WD6400AAKS for $76?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30004&promoid=1015

Because cache = performance
QFT. Pretty sure cache =/= performance. Wait for benchmarks...
I said theoretically. The 7200.11s are the leaders among 750GB drives. Then, the WD and the Seagate 640s are both dual-platter design, but the latter has twice the cache. Thus, IN THEORY, it should be faster.

[LYL]Homer;1032794105 said:
Time to invade Canada!

Third time's a charm for Americans!

Anyway, can't wait to see actual reviews of this new drive. Been waiting for Seagate's response to the WD6400AAKS. I really do like Seagate's 5 year warranty on their drives.

Yeah, based on those HD Tune results I'd be wary of getting this over a WD640 at the moment. Looks like you get some minor improvements in transfer rate at the expense of a 25% increase in avg. seek times (and look at the graph, there are more than a few seek results that are really slow, up in the 30s and 40s range). I'd wait to see more reviews from the usual suspects, but looks for the moment like it's not quite good enough to knock the 640 off as the best value performance leader.

ok needs some hdtach / hdtune benchmarks. I doubt it will be much faster then the wd drive.

I believe 7200.11 series don't have AAM at all. So access time won't be improved.
The WD is actually more cheaper than seagate up here in Canada right now($10) or so, but I've been debating how reliable each one is. Seagate has never died on me, yet WD has...just personal track record...

I found a RAID0 hdtach bench. Access time looks ok there 12.4ms

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....umber=1&msgcount=3&subpage=1&product_id=31404

That HDTACH benchmark looks a bit sus and I am seeing a similar problem with up to eight of the 1TB drives in RAID0. SD15 firmware. I'm about to hand some of my drives to a friend who will test it out on a higher performance Areca card to see whether this will make a difference.

Back