Seagate 7200.11 1 TB SUCK stay away

One of my 1.5tb's is affected, I'm waiting on support to email me a firmware update. The other 1.5 tb that I ordered came clicking from Newegg, and the second drive that Newegg sent as a replacement showed like remapped sectors of like 300, and it kept climbing, so I'm sending that one back too.

Both the 2nd drive and its replacement were sent in horrible horrible packaging from Newegg. I'm not sure who to blame, but just in case, I'm going to avoid Seagate and Newegg for hard drives from now on. I've gotten 3 Seagate 1.5 tb hard drives from Newegg, and all 3 are problematic. What a cluster***k. :mad:

i RMA'd my 7200.11 1TB at newegg and waiting the hitachi 1tb.

see how that goes,

Why in the world are they not posting the dl link on their website??? When someone gets it please post it up somewhere or give it to me so i can post it up on rapidshare to help these guys out....

I am trying to figure out why we are still buying this crap...

I almost bought ont until I saw this thread..I love Seagate, but went to WD instead...

Just made sense...
Just stay away from their 1.5 giggers..Simple...Issue resolved..

I'm thinking if they didn't even do this, that red mark would never go away. Right now, they're just trying to wash the blood away - the blood never completely goes away Seagate. Nice try, but breaking the public's trust is unforgivable. And oddly enough SSDs in the next 2 years or so will be make these old giants irrelevant. I can't wait.

*and to be clearer, it's the actions that led up to this point. Look through the Seagate forums and the nazi's that are moderating it, trying to hide the truth. It seems after weeks/months of censoring threads about this, they just gave up trying to hide it. I don't know why they didn't just address this shit in 2008.

so maybe thats what happened with my 720 gb hd i got from seagate before. it died so fast.

Well, I've only had my SX15 1TB on about 3-4 times, maybe uptime of a few days or so (purely for backups, then I disconnect it). I'm gonna zero it and convert it into my most expensive paper weight when I get the time. No reason to risk valuable data on that.

It is nice of them to offer the service, but I would say at best its gonna be a 2 week turnaround, probably more... Still sucks a LOT for those that need the data on those drives, I think one of the articles I came across said something in the area of a 40% fail rate on these drives (1 and 1.5TB 7200.11's)....yikes that is insane no matter how you look at it, how did these devices pass quality and benchmark tests before being released? Also is bs that they were censoring the problem and leaving their customers in the dark up until now....

Firmware SD1A has been released:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951
*link is going up and down*

Anyone dare to try? I read many people from seagate's forum have failed during the flashing process...

Incase that link is still going down I put it up on rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/186176081/MooseDT-32MB-SD1A.ISO

*opened the iso and see no firmware though... only a readme and 'drivedetect.exe' not sure if that is right or not...seems like the firmware is missing from the file, can someone confirm whats going on?

Glad I have my 500GB 7200.10. Sticking with WD this time around.

The WD In my desktop failed so I replaced it with a 1TB Seagate 7200.11 drive... just failed... after maybe a week of use. Super lame.

The WD In my desktop failed so I replaced it with a 1TB Seagate 7200.11 drive... just failed... after maybe a week of use. Super lame.

You need to go buy a lottery ticket...now.

"SD1A is the wrong firmware. It doesn't fix the bricking issue, it doesn't even install on most drives. Why on earth Seagate has this linked as an update to the Knowledge Base article as some kind of fix for the boot-of-death is crazy. Even the support and pre-sales people are telling me that the fix is not available yet. The SD1A article is nonsense. It's misleading, it doesn't fix the problem, it doesn't install, and if you force it, you will brick your drive."

- CapSarcastic (from seagates forum link given above)

hmmmmm....wtf

Lol Seagate's train isn't just going off the tracks. It's going into a black hole.

"SD1A is the wrong firmware. It doesn't fix the bricking issue, it doesn't even install on most drives. Why on earth Seagate has this linked as an update to the Knowledge Base article as some kind of fix for the boot-of-death is crazy. Even the support and pre-sales people are telling me that the fix is not available yet. The SD1A article is nonsense. It's misleading, it doesn't fix the problem, it doesn't install, and if you force it, you will brick your drive."

- CapSarcastic (from seagates forum link given above)

hmmmmm....wtf

I tried to install it on both my 1TB SD15 firmware drives. Both fail. It detects a ST31000340AS drive, but when you try to apply the new firmware it says something along the lines of, " Unexpected drive, was expecting a ST31000340AS." So it says that it sees the drive and then it cant.

I called their technical support line and they had a canned message that it was down due to "temporary technical difficulties" and to use the web site. LAME. I go to the chat support and it says it is closed due to MLK day. WTF Super LAME!!

Lukily for me my 7200.11 drives are just my, backed up in multiple location, data drives. My OS drive is a Velociraptor and my other computers are all running 7200.10 drives.

Seagate has 48 hours to get me a properly fixed firmware that will actually install before I am on ZZF ordering replacements from another company.

For the record I got both of my drives way back in early March and they are both working fine. But now I know they are both basically time bombs.

I got a ST31000333AS about three weeks ago and fortunately it has a CC (CC1F) firmware which Seagate "claims" to be safe. Though, this fiasco is enough to make me move to WD.

I have a ST31000340AS with the SD15 firmware, and i just found out it has 12 reallocated sectors. Do you think I should RMA it then sell it and pick up a Sam or a WD 1TB? But if i RMA it and get a new drive I need to copy these files somewhere, so I will haveto copy most to my old 500GB then borrow a old drive off my friend and copy the rest to there.

You can buy the new drives, copy, then send the old ones back for a refund.

Not sure where you bought yours but newegg gave me a full refund and waved the 15% restocking fee due to these drives just sucking in general and being completely broken under no fault of mine.

You can buy the new drives, copy, then send the old ones back for a refund.

Not sure where you bought yours but newegg gave me a full refund and waved the 15% restocking fee due to these drives just sucking in general and being completely broken under no fault of mine.

I didn't buy it from newegg, I bought it from a local computer store. I decided I will get a Samsung 1TB but since im short of cash from buying my new netbook and also being 15 my mom will have to pay for it and I will copy my files to the new drive and send the seagate for an RMA. Once I get it back I will sell it localy to pay my mom back for the Samsung 1TB.

Ha, they took the firmware down for "validation"

So they have problems for months; finally admit there is a problem and release a firmware that will more than likely either not work or brick your drive to fix your drive. Then take it down to fix that problem. Seagate must have an awesome QA department.

I didn't buy it from newegg, I bought it from a local computer store. I decided I will get a Samsung 1TB but since im short of cash from buying my new netbook and also being 15 my mom will have to pay for it and I will copy my files to the new drive and send the seagate for an RMA. Once I get it back I will sell it localy to pay my mom back for the Samsung 1TB.

Sucks but I guess thats your only option :(

Back