Seagate 400Gig PATA $109

That seems pretty resonable IMO. I should hit it.

wow nice, i think these were $159 locally. hopefully they drop to same price this weekend so i can just walk in and pick one up.

This is odd. Outpost lists the model number as ST3400632A. There's not an exact match on Seagate's site. There is a ST3400632NL which is an enterprise-class "Near Line Storage" 400G SATA drive. There is a ST3400633A which is a (consumer) Baracuda 7200.9 400G PATA drive. As this drive is a retail kit and PATA I'm thinking it's a ST3400633A. I bought one a few weeks ago when they were $129.99, but it's at home and I can't check the model number now. Will report later!

At any rate, this is a HOT deal, 16mb buffer, Retail kit (Includes a cable) with a full 5-year warranty, for .275/Gig. Not quite as good as when they had them for $99.99 about 2 weeks ago, but that deal only lasted a very few hours. Grab these quick, they will go fast!

They MAY have the same deal at Fry's B&M, but they may not. Fry's and Outpost are weird like that.

-PP

i like the prices of the HD are coming down, but now we need faster drives at least SATAII with 7200.10 RPM ones for less than $100.

apparently, these are Seagates 7200.8 drives:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=21497

emisha said:
Thx guys for your replies, they were very helpful. I decided not to go with that drive since i called seagate and they have confimed that this (ST3400632A) infact is a 7200.8 series drive. The one listed on their site (ST3400633A) is a 7200.9 drive, but according to seagate tech support its not out yet.

I'm thinking about getting 4x of them to Raid0 together. an extra 1.6Tb never hurts.

sc0tty8 said:
whats the diff between .8, .9, .10?
I think a major difference between the .8 .9 .10 is the areal density of the platters. The .10 having the highest and the .8 the lowest. I am sure that the firmware is revised/ imrpoved across the series as well. I believe that the .10 only exists in SATA, but you can check that at seagate's website.

I bought these drives a few weeks ago at $140,

They are labeled on the drives as 7200.10, but I've read on another site that says they're somewhere in between 7200.9, 7200.10 in terms of performance, and to not worry about the numbers. They do give a click sound every once in a while, apparently this is normal... o_O

sc0tty8 said:
They are the same company
:confused:

Yeah, but they don't see it that way. I've never been able to get the B&M store to honor the online price. They say they are two completely different things.

Yeah the online enity and the b&m enity are 2 differant companies.

Sucks them drives went on pre-order, but, I think tomarrow they will have new specials so maybe another drive, hopefully a seagate, will be on special. Cross your fingers for 500 gig for 100$ after rebate:D

CompuDrew said:
Yeah, but they don't see it that way. I've never been able to get the B&M store to honor the online price. They say they are two completely different things.

Yes they are two different stores, just sharing the same name. The reason being...it doesn't require an entire crew to man an online store vs. the wharehouse. Thats why online prices are cheaper, they have less people to pay.

I hope that they have these at the B&M Frys stores... i'll be picking up 4 if they do...

3TB here I come!

schnell said:
now it says availible for preorder :confused:

Anyone know what this means? Has anyone gotten shipping confirmation on their order? I'd love to get this for an external drive, but not if I have to wait for it to come into stock or anything... :rolleyes:

TType85 said:
It looks like the B&M stores have the 400 8mb cache for $119....
+1, going to buy it today. lowest they had it this year in stores.

its all 16mb at my location last i checked. they dont carry the 8mb no more for our area.

they also have the 300gb seagate sata 16mb for $90.

linjy2 said:
+1, going to buy it today. lowest they had it this year in stores.

its all 16mb at my location last i checked. they dont carry the 8mb no more for our area.

they also have the 300gb seagate sata 16mb for $90.

They had the 16mb at my store but they wanted $10 more for it. I was able to pick up 3 8MB ones though (had to use seperate payment cards).

1.2TB for $387 after tax.... I paid that much for a 89MB Segate HDD :)

i went ahead and bought the 16mb cache one for $10 more. i figure i get a better drive even though its only my hdtv storage drive. returned/traded my western digital 400gb se16 that i bought last week. i would had kept the WD since its a faster drive, but it was a clearance model with only 5 month warranty left. sat in the store for 1 year. even trade except i lost sata and get a so so drive compare to the WD.

linjy2 said:
.... and get a so so drive compare to the WD.

I dont know why you are so down on seagate, every one I have ever had has lasted until I stopped using it, where as I have had WD, IBM(hitachi) and Maxtor(yes I know maxtor is now a seagate subsidiary, but that is only a recent aquisition) have died during use, and had to be replaced. The only time I have ever replaced a seagate, is when I upgraded capacity or control type, and you could not ask for a better return policy, if it is not working, and it is within warrenty time, they replace, no questions asked.

This deal still lives, no longer marked as "pre-order", thankfully.

SEAGATE 400GB PATA ST3400632A-RK.
Seagate 3.5" PATA Internal Hard Drive:
Outpost #: 4596287
* 7200 RPM
* 16Mb Buffer
* Limit 5
* Product available to ship 6/26/06
Limit 5 per Household.

GameDad said:
I dont know why you are so down on seagate, every one I have ever had has lasted until I stopped using it, where as I have had WD, IBM(hitachi) and Maxtor(yes I know maxtor is now a seagate subsidiary, but that is only a recent aquisition) have died during use, and had to be replaced. The only time I have ever replaced a seagate, is when I upgraded capacity or control type, and you could not ask for a better return policy, if it is not working, and it is within warrenty time, they replace, no questions asked.
i'm not down on their reliabilty, they work good, i own a few seagate drives. the two 120gb ones i have and the 40gb still run good. i meant to say so so drive compare to the WD because of the speed. this particular model does not outperform the WD 400gb se16. it falls short. even maxtor and hitachi beats it if i remember correctly. but since this is merely a storage drive and not my main drive, doesnt matter much for me.

Back