Seagate 1 TB Barracuda II SATA-II Desktop Drive $109.99 @ BB (No Rebates!)

Surely that's not anywhere near a [H]ot deal. We've been seeing Samsung/WD/Hitachi 1TB going for $80-90.

Since this is a retail version it does come with the 5 year warranty though Seagate's quality isn't what it use to be.

Maybe I am wrong but doesn't Seagate uses 5x250GB plates for their 1TB while WD Green and Black drive uses 3x333GB for their 1TB?

I do know the 2TB WD Green uses 4x500GB plates. Hopefully we see 500 plates in the lower capacity drives :).

This is a terrible deal. I bought this HDD back in Nov. for $80-something. (Brand new and at the time, 5-yr. warr.)

^
Give us a time machine so we can get that deal. Otherwise this is probably the closest Seagate 1TB 5 year warranty hard-drive deal you can get.

^ I guarantee you that those prices and better will be available. For those who need a HDD right now, that's an option. But for those who can wait, just letting them know that there's at least $30 overcost in this deal.

BTW, I thought Seagate was discontinuing 5-year warranties. :confused:

^
Sadly yes for OEM drives. Retail and ES.2 drives still have 5 year. However many of us actually buy retail drives?

^
Sadly yes for OEM drives. Retail and ES.2 drives still have 5 year. However many of us actually buy retail drives?

The only thing I can think of as to why Seagate would only offer 5 years for retail drives is to encourage people to buy more of them, which undoubtedly have a bigger profit margin than OEM ones. : \

The only thing I can think of as to why Seagate would only offer 5 years for retail drives is to encourage people to buy more of them, which undoubtedly have a bigger profit margin than OEM ones. : \

I never said it was hot or cold (in fact, I asked for opinion); the reason I posted it was as a comparison to smaller drives (not just SATA, but PATA/IDE as well).

The various comments I have seen confirm my suspiscion; that the drive capacity sweet spot has moved to this size range for desktops, and that PATA is a decidedly poor bet.

Of course retail drives have a higher profit margin than OEM drives; however, it isn't as high as you would think. For what it's worth, retail drives have mostly ALWAYS had longer warranties than OEM versions of the same drive (until recently, only Maxtor and WD offered same-length warranties for OEM and retail versions of the same drive; Seagate is simply returning to Seagate's typical pre-Maxtor warranty policy).

I'm aware of the firmware issues regarding the B-II drives (both 1 TB and 1.5 TB); however, since not all drives (either OEM or retail, in either size) are affected, other than avoiding Seagate (and paying a premium, even e-tail), the question would still beg concerning the Seagate drives compared to other drives of the same size, OEM or retail.

I have typically recommended Western Digital's drives (the Maxtor I have is a one-off; it was purchased prior to the deal with Seagate, and WD had no drive in that price OR capacity range at the time).

Lastly, I have never said anything bad about Newegg (in fact, I have posted a few Newegg [H]ot Deals). However, some of us don't pay with plastic or even by check; instead, we use something called *cash* (which pretty much obviates shopping at Newegg); instead, cash buyers typically shop at the big-box retailers (or even MicroCenter) these days.

Well to add to this, I just went to my local BB and purchased the 1.5 TB instead, it's $134. $109 is far from a good deal on a 1 TB but $134 on a 1.5 is great.

Well to add to this, I just went to my local BB and purchased the 1.5 TB instead, it's $134. $109 is far from a good deal on a 1 TB but $134 on a 1.5 is great.

I recall they were going for $87 from Dell a while back. OEM, of course...

I never said it was hot or cold (in fact, I asked for opinion); the reason I posted it was as a comparison to smaller drives (not just SATA, but PATA/IDE as well).

The various comments I have seen confirm my suspiscion; that the drive capacity sweet spot has moved to this size range for desktops, and that PATA is a decidedly poor bet.

Of course retail drives have a higher profit margin than OEM drives; however, it isn't as high as you would think. For what it's worth, retail drives have mostly ALWAYS had longer warranties than OEM versions of the same drive (until recently, only Maxtor and WD offered same-length warranties for OEM and retail versions of the same drive; Seagate is simply returning to Seagate's typical pre-Maxtor warranty policy).

I realize you weren't claiming it to be a good deal or not, but I was just voicing my opinion to let others know. Just like if I were looking for Product X, I'd appreciate it someone steered me on the "temperature" of the deal. ;)

Yes, PATA is going the way of the AGP video card and DDR RAM. That is, it'll eventually be put to rest, at least for high capacity (1+ TB) hard drives.

Yes, OEM HDDs have historically carried a smaller warranty vs. retail ones, but that didn't seem to be the case for certain "premium" drives, like these Barracuda. I wouldn't be surprised if retail drives started carrying the shorter OEM warranties, just so manufacturers can further save on cost. : \

Not hot; until yesterday, the Egg had an instant 10% back (up to $10) on HDD; the OEM version is $99.99, which meant you get the drive (with FS...) for $89.99. For 20 bucks, I'll go the OEM for the drive (and did, for my wife's new build).

I haven't had the Barracuda bite me yet, and I've got three in my machine (this will be the forth from the effect generations, third in the right size realm, see my sig and add this drive).

Cold is where it's at, esp since it's a Seagate. Don't know how to translates to the OEM version, but http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148373 says it blows, and is $100 f/s at the Egg.

$139.99 WD GP drive? If you want to venture into online shopping:rolleyes:;), there's this shop called Newegg amongst many other etailers.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317 $105 for the GP.

I have nothing against online shopping (or Newegg in particular); however, I pay for build parts in *cash*, which pretty much eliminates Newegg (I still frequent their site for reviews, and I'm also a member of the EggXpert forums).

Quite frankly, I wish you'd stop injecting online comparisons against B&M. First off, no brick and mortar retailer can match an e-tailer, simply because they have to mark-up higher for the same item (greater overhead). Second, the other reason folks buy online has to do with avoidance of high sales tax (that goes by comments here on [H], so the word is coming Straight from the Mouth of the Horse); other than with specific permission from the state, no brick and mortar retailer can do that.

Whenever I've compared MicroCenter against another retailer (especially Best Buy), I've compared retail vs. retail (I always go to the same MicroCenter, in Fairfax, VA). If it's an online-only item (in either store), I won't compare the two price-wise.

Well.. I disagree to a point. This is actually a pretty [H] deal seeing that it is BestBuy. This drive was easily 130$ at Best Buy recently which is even more laughable than 109. But.. some of us have stacks of BB gift certificates with 10$ here.. 20$ there... so someone looking for an extra TB for the price of gift cards may jump on this deal quickly. they recently had the 1.5TB for 129.99 though which is what I am aiming for. Could I get it cheaper somewhere else? Of course. But with the leftover gift cards I have (~90$ worth), I can walk in there and get it much cheaper than paying fully out of my current cash. It's not like I'm going to want to buy anything else from Best buy who marks up everything by 25%.

Microcenter has the same drive for the same price. They also have OEM Samsung and Western Digital 1TB drives for $94.99.

I have nothing against online shopping (or Newegg in particular); however, I pay for build parts in *cash*, which pretty much eliminates Newegg (I still frequent their site for reviews, and I'm also a member of the EggXpert forums).

I can understand not wanting to purchase using credit. However, is this day and age, a debit card is *cash* for most people. I very rarely carry any green around with me and make all my purchases with my debit card.

This thread was posted in a specific section ([H]ot Deals) of a forum that is on the internet. You will be hard pressed to win an argument of B&M shopping vs. Online shopping. In the end, most people here will go for the best deal where ever its located (in most cases online).

You're not [H]ard if you buy a hard drive at BB...

INCORRECT

Should have been worded like this:

"Your family is not [H] if they buy you gift certificates to BB"

And tbh, some people don't have better B&M stores around. Luckily for me I have 4 different Frys and Microcenter.. and of course Comp USA now under Tiger Direct. For as long as this board exists, there will always be people who feel more comfortable buying stuff from B&M. I personally am not one of those people, but the best argument for B&M purchases is what I explained earlier.. if your family or friends.. or friends of family send you small gift cards to BB or any other B&M for birthdays, holidays, or special occasions.

Quite honestly, all these Seagate drives are major FAIL just waiting to happen. (Look up all the
problems with these, if you don't know by now) But, if you must invest in your data's demise,
at least FAIL with the Seagate 1.5TB which is always on sale for 109.00 or so.

The Samsung and Hitachi versions are better than the Seagates in every way, and are $30.00-$40.00
cheaper to boot, and have been on sale for the last couple of weeks.

Quite frankly, I wish you'd stop injecting online comparisons against B&M. First off, no brick and mortar retailer can match an e-tailer, simply because they have to mark-up higher for the same item (greater overhead). Second, the other reason folks buy online has to do with avoidance of high sales tax (that goes by comments here on [H], so the word is coming Straight from the Mouth of the Horse); other than with specific permission from the state, no brick and mortar retailer can do that.

Whenever I've compared MicroCenter against another retailer (especially Best Buy), I've compared retail vs. retail (I always go to the same MicroCenter, in Fairfax, VA). If it's an online-only item (in either store), I won't compare the two price-wise.

In that case, the deal would've been less cold, maybe even warm, if there was a rebate. For example, $110 at BB with a, say, $25-30 MIR. Then you can pay cash, buy retail from B&M, and still get a decent deal out of it. I did that back in 2005, at CC, for a 300 GB HDD. It was actually a better deal than anything I was able to find on-line. (B&M tax and on-line shipping pretty much offset each other at the time.)

I can understand not wanting to purchase using credit. However, is this day and age, a debit card is *cash* for most people. I very rarely carry any green around with me and make all my purchases with my debit card.

This thread was posted in a specific section ([H]ot Deals) of a forum that is on the internet. You will be hard pressed to win an argument of B&M shopping vs. Online shopping. In the end, most people here will go for the best deal where ever its located (in most cases online).

The problem (in most cases) with debit cards (from banks, as opposed to credit unions), is that they are usually attached to *checking accounts* (which I loathe far more, because I hate writing checks!); worse, checking accounts are huge fee-generators for banks. If I WERE to get a debit card, it would be from a credit union (not a bank), for several reasons:

1. Far fewer fees.
2. No UNfees (credit unions, especially Federal Credit Unions, or FCUs, mostly have strict policies against such things).
3. Fewer (or no) minimum-balance requirements.

The financial-services-system bailout (TARP) further illustrates the separation between banks and credit unions (note that not so much as ONE credit union needed TARP money).

Agreed; the best deals ARE usually online (for, in fact, the reasons I stated), which is why I won't compare online vs. B&M (too much like apples vs. oranges). I don't even compare MicroCenter vs. Newegg (despite MC itself inviting the comparison).

The problem (in most cases) with debit cards (from banks, as opposed to credit unions), is that they are usually attached to *checking accounts* (which I loathe far more, because I hate writing checks!); worse, checking accounts are huge fee-generators for banks. If I WERE to get a debit card, it would be from a credit union (not a bank), for several reasons:

1. Far fewer fees.
2. No UNfees (credit unions, especially Federal Credit Unions, or FCUs, mostly have strict policies against such things).
3. Fewer (or no) minimum-balance requirements.

The financial-services-system bailout (TARP) further illustrates the separation between banks and credit unions (note that not so much as ONE credit union needed TARP money).

Agreed; the best deals ARE usually online (for, in fact, the reasons I stated), which is why I won't compare online vs. B&M (too much like apples vs. oranges). I don't even compare MicroCenter vs. Newegg (despite MC itself inviting the comparison).

:rolleyes:

Almost every bank now has a FREE type of checking account. Don't want checks? Don't order them. No maintenance fees, no transaction fees, etc, etc. Just cause it has the name CHECKING doesn't mean you have to write a single check.

:rolleyes:

Almost every bank now has a FREE type of checking account. Don't want checks? Don't order them. No maintenance fees, no transaction fees, etc, etc. Just cause it has the name CHECKING doesn't mean you have to write a single check.

Agreed. I don't own any checks and haven't written one in years. The only fee my bank charges me is overdraft, and that never happens (don't spend what you don't have).

INCORRECT

Should have been worded like this:

"Your family is not [H] if they buy you gift certificates to BB"

And tbh, some people don't have better B&M stores around. Luckily for me I have 4 different Frys and Microcenter.. and of course Comp USA now under Tiger Direct. For as long as this board exists, there will always be people who feel more comfortable buying stuff from B&M. I personally am not one of those people, but the best argument for B&M purchases is what I explained earlier.. if your family or friends.. or friends of family send you small gift cards to BB or any other B&M for birthdays, holidays, or special occasions.

I understand what you're saying. And maybe I'm spoiled being in Houston. I've got Directron, Fry's, and Microcenter all within a 30 minute drive. My point is just that there are many better things at Best Buy to spend a gift certificate on rather than computer stuff. Heck, I've got a Rewardzone Mastercard, but I never use any of those gift certificates on anything computer related at BB. Way too big a rip off. I'll stick with BB as one of my main home theater stores, but for computer parts they can take a hike.

Edit: I can't stand it when I get in line at the grocery store and somebody in front of me whips out a checkbook. I mean, seriously, get with the times.

What's a check? :eek:

Oh yeah, those "gifts" that come in the mail occasionally about 3 or 4 months after you send in a rebate. :p

Wow this thread is all over the place.

You're not [H]ard if you buy a hard drive at BB...
What a moronic thing to say.

Sometimes you just need to buy a drive at a B&M location for any number of reasons.

Is that a reference to this?

pancake_bunny.png

Hmm, for a B&M store I didn't think it was that bad of price. Of course I would rather have the 1.5 TB for $130 at Fry's if I was buying a Seagate drive. $30 for another 500 GB makes more sense in my mind.

Right now I really want to grab some WD green drives for my media server... just waiting for another sale ;)

As to the debit/credit/cash debate that is flying aro cash or debit is okay in my opinion as long as the debit method is closely watched. Credit cards are just evil :mad: Studies show that the average person spends 7-15% more when using a credit card because there isn't a "pain" factor involved in using them. Yes, handing over physical cash actually registers as a "pain" in the human brain. Debit cards have a smaller percentage increase over cash, but there is still an increase. It's just too damn easy to whip out your debit/credit card and pay for everying (a candy bar, a coffee, lunch, etc.).

I made a slight correction to your post. :p
listen my friend

When/if you have a significant other that has a strong interest in where your joint finances are going, you'll see the value in paying cash at a B&M retailer for your impulse purchases ;)

Also, the ability to "rent" stuff from a retailer for short term use/testing/etc is invaluable.

Finally, sometimes, you just want it now. That may be a soft reason though.

Back