Seagate 1.5 TB SATA Barracuda 7200.11 Internal Hard Drive $106

Yes whatever indeed. People can do whatever the hell they want with their drives, don't get why people have to come and do a moral and ethics downpour.

Always the risk, but backing everything up can become cost prohibitive if you have a shit load of stuff (this is in regards to your comment that people don't have money to buy drives). Each TB requires what, an additional TB/$100 drive to back up.. 1TB=$100, 2TB=$200, 10TB=$1000....

Still, you don't buy stuff expecting it to fail - I don't buy a car to have it (in theory..) total itself and have enough to buy another one, or buy an Xbox 360 to have it RROD, or buy a mobo for it to die, or buy a house expecting it to collapse. Yes yes we're talking data, but I certainly don't buy a hard drive with the mindset that I'm going to need another drive because it will fail. Seagate is definitely one to blame for their products failing in droves. Would you blame yourself if your mobo DOAed or soon after (assuming no abuse)? Hell no.

I'm just hoping my drive is good so I can download mucho mucho!

Always the risk, but backing everything up can become cost prohibitive if you have a shit load of stuff (this is in regards to your comment that people don't have money to buy drives). Each TB requires what, an additional TB/$100 drive to back up.. 1TB=$100, 2TB=$200, 10TB=$1000....

Still, you don't buy stuff expecting it to fail - I don't buy a car to have it (in theory..) total itself and have enough to buy another one, or buy an Xbox 360 to have it RROD, or buy a mobo for it to die, or buy a house expecting it to collapse. Yes yes we're talking data, but I certainly don't buy a hard drive with the mindset that I'm going to need another drive because it will fail. Seagate is definitely one to blame for their products failing in droves. Would you blame yourself if your mobo DOAed or soon after (assuming no abuse)? Hell no.

Backing up your data is more relative to data insurance. It doesn't matter how you do it. You do in fact have insurance on your car, and you most certainly do on your house as well. Hard drives are mechanical devices, and it is not if they will fail, but when they will fail.

If you've ever worked on any sort of real server environment, then you'd know that businesses keep spare hard drives for their servers and SANs, and those aren't even to backup the data. They're just in case the drive fails, so they don't have to wait for the replacement drive from warranty.

Hard drives die all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if one died in a server today, and these are drives built to much tighter specifications than the drives being brought into question.

I'm waiting for $80. I bought my last batch of 8 @ $98 or so after paypal cashback back in Dec.

I have the 1 TB version of this HDD. It came w/ FW SD15, but I was able to update it to SD1A. No problems so far (with either FW) - knock on wood! :eek:

If these drives would have never had the issues they had I'd be all over this, but I just don't have a good feeling about buying one. I want one, but I think I'll hold out and see how WD's new drives perform.

"Coupon Error
We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed. "

Pewp.. unless someone has a better coupon code, or if I am just not doing this right, it looks like this may be a dead deal.

People will do anything to save a buck, like buying the current winner for most problematic drive
currently on the marker bar none. These are always on sale because they have MAJOR
issues, even the firmware "fix" has been borking drives, and drives have even died
despite the fix. Yes, some people have drives that seemingly work for the moment,
but these drives have fundemental problems that the slow-and-coming fixes won't
help. The problems have been so bad major review sites have been testing these
lemons and the fixes that follow. Seagate screwed up, and neither them nor
some customers are willing to admit it. These drives are only for the adventurous
soul that has some extra money, some technical knowledge, a robust back-up
program, and willing to loose 1.5TB of data. I tried 3 of these drives after somebody
TOLD me not to, I ended up loosing all my data and all 3 drives had to be returned.
I'm just trying to inform, like somebody tried to inform me.

People will do anything to save a buck, like buying the current winner for most problematic drive
currently on the marker bar none. These are always on sale because they have MAJOR
issues, even the firmware "fix" has been borking drives, and drives have even died
despite the fix. Yes, some people have drives that seemingly work for the moment,
but these drives have fundemental problems that the slow-and-coming fixes won't
help. The problems have been so bad major review sites have been testing these
lemons and the fixes that follow. Seagate screwed up, and neither them nor
some customers are willing to admit it. These drives are only for the adventurous
soul that has some extra money, some technical knowledge, a robust back-up
program, and willing to loose 1.5TB of data. I tried 3 of these drives after somebody
TOLD me not to, I ended up loosing all my data and all 3 drives had to be returned.
I'm just trying to inform, like somebody tried to inform me.

It could have been the firmware. Thanks for the fixed-width telegram though.

never had any data loss with my drive, but it does hang intermittently and make lots of noise. I've updated the firmware twice, but it hasn't fixed the issue.

Between me and a couple of friends, we have 4 of these and have had zero problems. I would say for anyone getting this drive, the first thing you should do is update the firmware here.

Like others have said, you are playing with fire if all your data is in one location with no backups.

bummer. went to order using my gift card and somehow its got no value so i waited to call and get that fixed today. To bad the damn code expired.

As of yesterday, this coupon was still working. Purchased one for my media center- hopefully it's not DOA like the Hitachi I just RMAed to NewEgg.....

if i had the cash i would get 2 and put em in raid 10 to be safe... the failure rate on these higher capacity drives are too scarey. as for those saying basically "who cares if it fails because you have illegal content" you have no proof of saying that so shut it! content is content, you dont want to lose it as its a inconvience either way..

if i had the cash i would get 2 and put em in raid 10 to be safe... the failure rate on these higher capacity drives are too scarey. as for those saying basically "who cares if it fails because you have illegal content" you have no proof of saying that so shut it! content is content, you dont want to lose it as its a inconvience either way..
Yeah, I'm building a RAID5 array w/ the four I bought. Will be interesting to see what firmware they carry.

Subtotal: $82.99
IVA: $6.53
Shipping and Handling: $6.99

Import Fee: --

Total: $96.51

Still heck of a deal... nanananananana to you losers that did not get in on it!

I got in on this deal this morning, I wonder if its for real as it still says "in production".

was thinking of getting several drives but I'm still unsure of the quality even with the latest firmware. 1.5TB is a lot of data to lose!

I was hesitant to buy because of the reputation.. I would have chanced it for $83 a drive. Too bad no longer available :(

oh well i already ordered it and paid 14 bucks after a gift card.witch i didnt even pay lol.

Back