SE3016 SAS Extender RAID Card needed

mskurnik

n00b
I purchased a SE3016 16-drive SAS Extender off of ebay and the LSI 8888ELP controller that came with it does not support 3TB drives. I was wondering what is the least expensive way to go for simple RAID support. This is going to be used as a media server in my house. I was thinking of the HighPoint RocketRAID 2711 controller from Newegg but I am not sure if that supports SAS extenders as it says it only supports 4 drives.

If the 2711 will not work for what I need, can anyone suggest a SAS RAID card with an external SFF-8088 connector that is less than $200?

Thank you!

SE3016 supports 3T drive, this is just an expander :)

the culprit is your Raid card, as I recall does not support 3T drive

if you need HBA card, M1015 aka LSI9240 will server you well
or
Hardware RAID Card, LSI-9260 detect correctly .

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
SE3016 supports 3T drive, this is just an expander :)

the culprit is your Raid card, as I recall does not support 3T drive

if you need HBA card, M1015 aka LSI9240 will server you well
or
Hardware RAID Card, LSI-9260 detect correctly .

Neither of those cards seem to have a high rating on Newegg. Can you suggest any others?

Why do you ask here if you trust newegg's ratings better ?

We are many here using these cards.

Highpoint, not so much.

Most people would say don't go with Highpoint. You could go with the Dell external 6Gbps SAS HBA for just basic connections. No Raid. Based on the LSI SAS 2008 and supports 3TB drives with the updated firmware. Under $200 on ebay... and $200 on dell

I am not the seller, nor do I have any relationship to them. I was merely pointing out something.

not mentioned to you actually.

I mean:
that seller is playing with their wording,I believe they know the capabilities and just act "innocent" by saying support 3T not in detail,
this supports 3T for sure :)
if someone complaining, they would say " se3016 support 3T, but LSI-8888 does not, does we put LSI-8888 support 3T? hehe, just a gimmick as I understand.

Neither of those cards seem to have a high rating on Newegg. Can you suggest any others?
as already mention, find LSI SAS2008 card, M1015 is using SAS2008.

I saw $70 on ebay yesterday, it was gone within 4 mins :), very popular , I guess.

I do not know dell H200, since do not have it.

I do have M10105 and really happy with it :). bought for $60 at that time.

just thrown some questions for you:
1) do you flash H200 with LSI firmware or Dell firmware?
2) do errors will be log for non-dell HD
3) how do I know, Dell H200 is IR or IT?

the most important question for IR mode, M1015 will set JBOD for unconfigured Drive, Does H200 will do that? I'm on linux, do not want to go to IT mode :D. planning to back/revisit to zfsforlinux again after a year

Thanks!!

notes:
Planning to grab one, since M1015 is overpriced!!!

just thrown some questions for you:
1) do you flash H200 with LSI firmware or Dell firmware?
2) do errors will be log for non-dell HD
3) how do I know, Dell H200 is IR or IT?

the most important question for IR mode, M1015 will set JBOD for unconfigured Drive, Does H200 will do that? I'm on linux, do not want to go to IT mode :D. planning to back/revisit to zfsforlinux again after a year

Thanks!!

notes:
Planning to grab one, since M1015 is overpriced!!!

H200 can be flashed with 6Gbps SAS HBA firmware.
6Gbps SAS HBA cannot be flashed with H200 (Not enough memory)

Just used DELL firmware, not LSI

H200 = IR but can be IT
6Gbps = IT Only

For ZFS you want IT

Oh and No... they are NOT locked to DELL HDD's
Bottom of page here
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/Storlink/H200/en/UG/HTML/features.htm#wp1043338

Unsupported Drives
Drives that are not certified by Dell are reported in the BIOS Configuration Utility, also known as <Ctrl><C>.

To view unsupported drives:

In the BIOS Configuration Utility, navigate to the SAS Topology screen.

Select the unsupported drive and press <Alt><D> to view the Device Properties screen.

The drive is marked as Uncertified in the Device Properties screen.

Drives that are not certified by Dell are not blocked and you can use them at your own risk.

As much as I dislike Dell I purchased the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA. Thank you for your help.

The new Dell firmware allows you to bring your own hard drives so you dont have to use Dell branded drives. I use one of these for my server with just the stock Dell firmware. Also use this at work... it was the cheapest option to connect an external SAS expander

H200 can be flashed with 6Gbps SAS HBA firmware.
6Gbps SAS HBA cannot be flashed with H200 (Not enough memory)

Just used DELL firmware, not LSI

H200 = IR but can be IT
6Gbps = IT Only

Drives that are not certified by Dell are not blocked and you can use them at your own risk.[/B]
thanks for the info..

I plan to revisit zfs on linux with IR firmware with JBOD passthrough , it was no problem with M1015 but... zfs on linux did not give me what I expected :).

So the Dell 6GBPS SAS HBA does not support any type of RAID? I was looking for raid 0/1/5/10

Last edited:
Back