Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 in stock at FrozenCPU ($18+shipping)

hiodie

Gawd
Not really sure if this is considered to be that hot of a price, but it is a US seller that has them in stock. Says 2000+ available at $18/fan plus shipping (~$10 for 4)

Link

eh frozencpu never has great prices, but if you only need a few fans, the shipping works out to less than shipping em from germany.

How does the 1150RPM compare to the SFLEX E (1200 RPM) w/ regard to:

1. Noise
2. Airflow
3. Static Pressure

Thanks!

1. Noise
2. Airflow
3. Static Pressure

Thanks!

Its 50rpm between the two, and the GT is known as one of the best HS/Rad fans, so my money would go to a GT, for case fans, there are better choices than either.

Its 50rpm between the two, and the GT is known as one of the best HS/Rad fans, so my money would go to a GT, for case fans, there are better choices than either.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm building in the next couple of weeks and wouldn't mind finding a few more fans for both the case and the H60 that I'm getting, but all the talk re: fans seems to center around the Gentle Typhoons as of late.

If there's a more reasonably priced alternative, I'd love to find out.

Would you mind elaborating? I'm building in the next couple of weeks and wouldn't mind finding a few more fans for both the case and the H60 that I'm getting, but all the talk re: fans seems to center around the Gentle Typhoons as of late.

If there's a more reasonably priced alternative, I'd love to find out.

The GT are "The" choice for fans for the H60, or any HS/Rad. You can see this in the testing done here. If you have room and they will fit, the TY-140 are great case fans.

Wow, nice chart! The Noiseblocker PL-2 looks best to me. I'm actually looking @ the PL-1's though. Would love a silent case!

Wow, nice chart! The Noiseblocker PL-2 looks best to me. I'm actually looking @ the PL-1's though. Would love a silent case!

Not sure what you are looking at, but the NB are behind the GT's by 1-9dbA at all ranges. They also cost 23-30 bucks a pop depending on model, and people call the GT's expensive...

The first chart, last line, where it says 10!

I didn't scroll down. :D

The GT-13 looks nice. $16 bucks @ Frozen CPU. I wonder how much quieter if any than the SFLEX E...

Here's what I'm looking @ though:

http://www.svc.com/nb-pl-1.html

@ 900 RPM and given the subjective rating of 10 on the PL-2, I'm leaning towards the PL-1. $20 vs $16 for the GT...hmmm.

The GT beats the NB in CFM to noise, the last number is about how smooth motor and bearings are, this includes undervolting, of which he stated that the GT's got a little less smooth when undervolted allot, the reason the NB have a better rating here is that they undervolt better, if you notice the full speed rating its the same for both, and you should always pick a fan that's close to the RPM you want at 12v, they always sound best at the RPM they are made for.

If they are doing fine, stick with them, there will always be an itch to try something else. I always have that feeling when something new comes out, or to build new loop etc etc, then I think about it and realize I don't need it.

I am now considering returning my H60 altogether and just picking up a NH-D14 since the prices for the H60 and the fans essentially add up anyhow...

Who knew fans would be the most confusing part of my build?

1. Noise
2. Airflow
3. Static Pressure

Thanks!

I just got my GT2150s from the OCN groupbuy. I popped them onto my Antec 620 rads that are on my GTX480s. I had some 1900rpm Kaze Maru 2 fans which are essentially S-flex fans on the rads beforehand. I couldn't really tell the difference to be honest. I think that these GT fas are a little over rated.

I just got my GT2150s from the OCN groupbuy. I popped them onto my Antec 620 rads that are on my GTX480s. I had some 1900rpm Kaze Maru 2 fans which are essentially S-flex fans on the rads beforehand. I couldn't really tell the difference to be honest. I think that these GT fas are a little over rated.

Not at all, the numbers don't lie. You are comparing a 1900rpm 140mm fan to a 2150rpm 120mm fan, you also reach a point with a rad that after a given amount of airflow you don't see any gains, no less on something like a 620 which has a very small low flowing pump. And with fans that loud, I doubt anyone would notice much of a change.

Screw it, in for 2 to give these a try.

Shame there was no Prime on that Amazon order. Funny thing is, standard shipping is 3-5 days and free, but if you choose two day the shipping cost for 2 fans was like $40 something dollars...more than the cost of the fans themselves. :eek:

So here's a question...I have an Antec 900, what two fans should I replace so that I'd see the most benefit airflow/noise wise? They're all stock, and also I'm using a Vigor Monsoon III LT on my CPU which has 2 120mm fans on it as well (I've been thinking about getting a Kuhler 620 or something but haven't done it yet).

Not at all, the numbers don't lie. You are comparing a 1900rpm 140mm fan to a 2150rpm 120mm fan, you also reach a point with a rad that after a given amount of airflow you don't see any gains, no less on something like a 620 which has a very small low flowing pump. And with fans that loud, I doubt anyone would notice much of a change.

Its not just at full speed. If I set them both to a point where I feel that they are quiet I also don't notice a difference in temps. I think that the gentle typhoons are a little over rated. They aren't that much better than a normal fan with an FDB bearing.

I meant Kama flow 2 fans, not kaze maru fans, sorry. Which are pretty much the same thing as an old school S-flex.

Screw it, in for 2 to give these a try.

Shame there was no Prime on that Amazon order. Funny thing is, standard shipping is 3-5 days and free, but if you choose two day the shipping cost for 2 fans was like $40 something dollars...more than the cost of the fans themselves. :eek:

So here's a question...I have an Antec 900, what two fans should I replace so that I'd see the most benefit airflow/noise wise? They're all stock, and also I'm using a Vigor Monsoon III LT on my CPU which has 2 120mm fans on it as well (I've been thinking about getting a Kuhler 620 or something but haven't done it yet).

The HS fans, that's where GT's shine at, they are not the best (or cheapest) choices for case fans. Though they will do the job as a case fan for sure.

Its not just at full speed. If I set them both to a point where I feel that they are quiet I also don't notice a difference in temps. I think that the gentle typhoons are a little over rated. They aren't that much better than a normal fan with an FDB bearing.

Their rating comes from repeated tests that show again and again they are at the top, some times it might only be 1-3dbA which will be unnoticeable to most and in some it might be 13+ dbA, but when trying to make a quiet build its about cumulative affect, 1dbA here, 2 there etc. 140mm vs 120mm is not a fair comparison either. As you are going just by your gut feeling after swapping out the fans, unless they are back to back in most cases you are going to have far to much time for you to realize the change. And again, this is on a 620, I have tested with my AP-13 and AP-14 fans and don't notice a change in temp, because the pump is going to be the weak point for getting lower temps, you can only cool off the water so much before you need new water to cool and if you are not getting it fast enough it limits the cooling, no matter if you have 1k rpm fans or 5k rpm fans, you are going to reach a point where the gain from more cfm is minimal or none at all. And last but not least, you don't buy high rpm fans and undervolt them, all you then end up with is a high power fan that's a crappy low rpm fan, you don't get the best of both worlds, you should always pick a fan that's as close to the rpm range you want to run at 12V. The GT's tend to get less smooth when undervolted and sometimes have a resonance at given RPM's.

Must have missed your ninja edit, the flex line of fans was also tested in the chart, and fall a good way behind the GT fans for cfm to dbA. But you are talking about taking two high RPM fans, undervolting them etc, the results can be erratic at best, some people do not notice noise levels as much as other people as well, and some see it pointless to count 1-3dbA at a time, but that's all part of making a quiet system and well...People looking for that would not be buying 2150RPM GT fans like you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HS fans, that's where GT's shine at, they are not the best (or cheapest) choices for case fans. Though they will do the job as a case fan for sure.

Hmm, okay, maybe I'll stick 'em on the CPU HS then.

What would you recommend for case fans then?

Must have missed your ninja edit, the flex line of fans was also tested in the chart, and fall a good way behind the GT fans for cfm to dbA. But you are talking about taking two high RPM fans, undervolting them etc, the results can be erratic at best, some people do not notice noise levels as much as other people as well, and some see it pointless to count 1-3dbA at a time, but that's all part of making a quiet system and well...People looking for that would not be buying 2150RPM GT fans like you did.

Dude, thats what the fan controller is for. Like I said if you set the both to where I thought that they were silent performance was the same. Thats with two fans in push pull on an Antec 620 on a GTX480 which produces a ton of heat. Make whatever you want of it.

Hmm, okay, maybe I'll stick 'em on the CPU HS then.

What would you recommend for case fans then?

Depends on the case and what it can fit, I like the TY-140 myself but it will not fit in many cases as its a 140mm fan with 120mm mount holes, with the extra blade area it moves a good amount of air. For case fans over all its a bit easier, they are often pretty close with each other and the driving rod is often motor/bearing and how smooth it is or if it has ticks etc. Noctua, Nexus, NB, Scythe S-flex are all good smooth sounding fans, but can be a bit pricey, Slip Steams and Yate Loons are good smooth sounding fans also and pretty cheap, but this shows in the kind of bearings used (sleeve type, smooth but don't last long). Middle of the road price would go to the X-Silent, allot of people love the 120 and 140mm versions of this fan and SWC has them on sale for 9.99 right now.

You can't go wrong with cheap yate loons for case fans. They do the job at a very reasonable price. Just watch out which ones you buy. A lot of places sell a cheaper version with a smaller motor.

Jab-tech sells both.

Dude, thats what the fan controller is for. Like I said if you set the both to where I thought that they were silent performance was the same. Thats with two fans in push pull on an Antec 620 on a GTX480 which produces a ton of heat. Make whatever you want of it.

The idea that you can undervolt high rpm fans and have a good low rpm fan is a myth, that is what I am saying, I know what controllers are for. And again, the 620 is going to be pump limited, after a given amount of cfm, there is not enough heat in the water for the extra air to extract. So at that point you have to increase the air flow so much to make any difference that it becomes pointless.

The idea that you can undervolt high rpm fans and have a good low rpm fan is a myth, that is what I am saying,
Thats not what the numbers that you keep telling me to look at say.

I know what controllers are for. And again, the 620 is going to be pump limited, after a given amount of cfm, there is not enough heat in the water for the extra air to extract. So at that point you have to increase the air flow so much to make any difference that it becomes pointless.

Again, thats at lower speeds. The rads get very warm when you are using a GTX480. So in very specific applications a gentle typhoon is vastly superior to a normal fan with an fdb bearing?

Thats not what the numbers that you keep telling me to look at say.

Again, thats at lower speeds. The rads get very warm when you are using a GTX480. So in very specific applications a gentle typhoon is vastly superior to a normal fan with an fdb bearing?

The charts say just that, notice the AP-13 out performs the AP-15, when the AP-13 is at 12V where the AP-15 is undervolted, the quality of that noise also changes, this is a simple fact with fans. The GT's are better on HS and rads than most other fans, which is indeed a specific application, not all FDB bearings are equal either, its a wide range of bearings that it covers, some not much better than simple sleeve bearings. You can fight it all you want, the numbers are there for anyone to see, and if you wish to dispute it, I would be more than happy to look at the numbers and results from all the tests you have done. Until then, you may have the last word if you wish, as I am not going to bother anymore.

Not bad, for 2 fans it's about the same as the Amazon deal. More than that and I think it's cheaper since the shipping doesn't seem to increase linearly.

Got my order from Amazon today. Haven't used them yet because I'm waiting to get some other parts before I crack open the machine (including maybe some case fans), but they feel nice and sturdy. :p

What are some good case fans that I can pair with these that won't be too loud? The idea is improved airflow + quieter than my current Antec Tri-Cool fans.

Last edited:
Got my order from Amazon today. Haven't used them yet because I'm waiting to get some other parts before I crack open the machine (including maybe some case fans), but they feel nice and sturdy. :p

What are some good case fans that I can pair with these that won't be too loud? The idea is improved airflow + quieter than my current Antec Tri-Cool fans.

"Depends on the case and what it can fit, I like the TY-140 myself but it will not fit in many cases as its a 140mm fan with 120mm mount holes, with the extra blade area it moves a good amount of air. For case fans over all its a bit easier, they are often pretty close with each other and the driving rod is often motor/bearing and how smooth it is or if it has ticks etc. Noctua, Nexus, NB, Scythe S-flex are all good smooth sounding fans, but can be a bit pricey, Slip Steams and Yate Loons are good smooth sounding fans also and pretty cheap, but this shows in the kind of bearings used (sleeve type, smooth but don't last as long). Middle of the road price would go to the X-Silent, allot of people love the 120 and 140mm versions of this fan and SWC has them on sale for 9.99 right now."

"Depends on the case and what it can fit, I like the TY-140 myself but it will not fit in many cases as its a 140mm fan with 120mm mount holes, with the extra blade area it moves a good amount of air. For case fans over all its a bit easier, they are often pretty close with each other and the driving rod is often motor/bearing and how smooth it is or if it has ticks etc. Noctua, Nexus, NB, Scythe S-flex are all good smooth sounding fans, but can be a bit pricey, Slip Steams and Yate Loons are good smooth sounding fans also and pretty cheap, but this shows in the kind of bearings used (sleeve type, smooth but don't last as long). Middle of the road price would go to the X-Silent, allot of people love the 120 and 140mm versions of this fan and SWC has them on sale for 9.99 right now."

Lol, yeah I read your post the first time but the sound/CFM ratings on some of them confuse me. Some of them sound too good to be true...

Just hoping for some elaboration I guess. I dunno. :p I also don't know what the stock Antec ones are rated at and if all the ratings are accurate, because I certainly don't want to end up with something with less airflow and the same or louder.

Lol, yeah I read your post the first time but the sound/CFM ratings on some of them confuse me. Some of them sound too good to be true...

Just hoping for some elaboration I guess. I dunno. :p I also don't know what the stock Antec ones are rated at and if all the ratings are accurate, because I certainly don't want to end up with something with less airflow and the same or louder.

The ratings should never be looked at, they are almost always wrong. You look at reviews and real tests of the fans. As stated from SPCR:

"Unfortunately, this acoustic artifact at low speeds is enough to put the TriCool behind the Nexus and the Papst; it is audible no matter what speed the fan is operating at, which makes the TriCool unsuitable for users who want complete silence. But that should not take away from its good points: It is cheap, widely available, and is quiet enough for many casual users."

When talking about undervolting them. They are not to far off from others, such as the Nexus, Kama Flow, Noctua etc The deciding factor has to do with sound quality, rather than pure volume, as some noises are picked up less or are less annoying to the human ear.

Just want to chime in that I've bought a couple things in the past from the vendor that Amazon is using (Platinum Micro) and didn't have any issues, and fairly quick shipping. In fact, I just bit earlier this week and picked up an extra 2 ap-15's from them; supposed to arrive before the end of the week.

All in all, even if it does work out the same price-wise for multiple quantity, there's just something that irks me about $9 shipping on a $15 item - yes, I know it makes no practical sense when you can just as well argue that charging $20 for a fan is ridiculous, but I somehow feel better about not explicitly paying 60% of an item's value in shipping.

As if dba means anything. It's sound type which is why I've tossed plenty of so-called low dba fans like GT in the garbage. They drone IMO. Best bang for buck fan is still cheapest Yate Loon low speeds and they are not prefect they wear too quick being sleeve bearings. If you want to spend GT prices the best fan is http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/BlackSilentPro120.php it wins every award from every round up it's in and uses bearings which last a lot longer. But it's $20 ea!

Martins Liquid Lab is a good resource to listen to find a fan's tone you'd be happy with.

Last edited:
Before I got distracted, I came in here to add, use "xtreme" for another 5.1% off every frozencpu order.

Back