Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850RPM - in stock at Sidewinder

DMFD-Minister

Limp Gawd
As title says, I found these listed as in-stock at Sidewinder Computer Systems. $18.99
Yeah, they're a bit more expensive than some sites list them, but those sites don't have them in stock. Just picked up 6 myself and a MCP655.

*Edit* - I'm switching this link to Jab-Tech as they now have listed QTY in stock (263 on 11/5/) and sidewinder has ridiculously raised their price to $25 since yesterday.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B5AP-15-1850rpm-pr-4501.html

sidewindercomputers_2179_35409957

Last edited:
Why are these so hard to find?

I've contemplated fitting my rig with some of these in the past...

$20 for a fan? Its just a fan. Normal ones are about $5 and nice ones about $10.

these are all over the place now. they were short on supply about a year ago when everyone found out these were awesome fans. I plan on buying 6 more to make bith my 3x120 rads push/pull. $15 ea is a great deal on these.

Where else are these in stock? I've been hounding Google and this is the first time I've seen them since they sold out at FrozenCPU a few weeks ago. I saw those at Jab-tech, but I noticed that usually the site will tell you the quantity they have in stock if it is in stock, and that information is mysteriously missing, so I made the assumption that they're out of stock.

$20 for a fan? Its just a fan. Normal ones are about $5 and nice ones about $10

Enthusiast Fans are $20-30. Silent performance is worth it

Are these worth the price premium over the nexus basic fan?

It doesn't get better than these as far as 25mm thick fans. High static pressure, super long life, quiet noise signature, etc.

I pretty much only buy these and panaflo's because they work great and will continue doing so for 10-20 years. These are however, much quieter than panaflo's.

if i dont care about noise and want a BETTER PERFORMING FAN (will b eusing a fan controller) would u recommend these or buy 2 or 3 scyhes for the same price as one of these?

It doesn't get better than these as far as 25mm thick fans. High static pressure, super long life, quiet noise signature, etc.

I pretty much only buy these and panaflo's because they work great and will continue doing so for 10-20 years. These are however, much quieter than panaflo's.

These fans are just as good and actually have slightly better static pressure and CFM.

Coolermaster Sickflow 2.94mm H20
Scyth Gentle Typhoon 2.87mm H20

I got these are sale for $6 at microcenter, but even at $11/$12, its half the normal price of the gentle typhoons.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=sickleflow&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

These fans are just as good and actually have slightly better static pressure and CFM.

Coolermaster Sickflow 2.94mm H20
Scyth Gentle Typhoon 2.87mm H20

I got these are sale for $6 at microcenter, but even at $11/$12, its half the normal price of the gentle typhoons.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=sickleflow&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Those are 2000rpm (vs the 1850 of gt).

With GT The main thing about them I like is the noise. It's not a airy/blowy type of noise like most fans have. It's super quiet and the noise you can hear is a more pleasant type of noise.

Those are 2000rpm (vs the 1850 of gt).

With GT The main thing about them I like is the noise. It's not a airy/blowy type of noise like most fans have. It's super quiet and the noise you can hear is a more pleasant type of noise.

How are the Scythes 1850prm at 28 dBa better than the Sickleflow 2000rpm at 19 dBa?
:confused:

Those Scythes are just overpriced. No reason they should cost $25 each. They are all injected molded plastic, nothing fancy

How would these compare to Noctua? I have a few NF-P12 and I am looking to grab a few more low DBA fans. Would this be recommended over the Noctua?
thanks.

How are the Scythes 1850prm at 28 dBa better than the Sickleflow 2000rpm at 19 dBa?

Those Scythes are just overpriced. No reason they should cost $25 each. They are all injected molded plastic, nothing fancy

19 dBa... if you believe that then I have some Greek bonds to sell you.:p Static pressure and noise ratings have a massive variance in how different manufacturers rate them and you CANNOT directly compare the specs provided between manufacturers.

As was stated above, the Gentle Typhoons have a much smoother and pleasant noise signature, I guarantee they are quieter than the fans you listed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the bearings and motors are not made of injected molded plastic.;) This is what determines the lifespan of the fan.

If you are happy with cheap disposable fans thats fine, some people are happy with cheap disposable cars as well. However, don't claim that higher quality products are pointless just because you are willing to settle.

19 dBa... if you believe that then I have some Greek bonds to sell you.:p Static pressure and noise ratings have a massive variance in how different manufacturers rate them and you CANNOT directly compare the specs provided between manufacturers.

As was stated above, the Gentle Typhoons have a much smoother and pleasant noise signature, I guarantee they are quieter than the fans you listed.

Also, I'm pretty sure the bearings and motors are not made of injected molded plastic.;) This is what determines the lifespan of the fan.

If you are happy with cheap disposable fans thats fine, some people are happy with cheap disposable cars as well. However, don't claim that higher quality products are pointless just because you are willing to settle.

Well, the 1850rpm gentle typhoons are rated at 55,000 hours where the cooler masters are rated at 50,000 hours so please tell me how they are so much better??? Its called your paying for the name. Not necessarily better.

wel for me gonna run a fan controller so i dont care about noise i just want the best 120mm and 140mm fan i can get because my h50 isnt cutting it lol

Well, the 1850rpm gentle typhoons are rated at 55,000 hours where the cooler masters are rated at 50,000 hours so please tell me how they are so much better??? Its called your paying for the name. Not necessarily better.

I'm having a hard time telling if you are trolling or just tragically misinformed. Please look at the OP link again, AP-15's have a MTBF of 100,000 hours at temperatures you would see in any reasonable case. You are not paying for the name and Scythe makes no effort to even advertise these (the fans don't even have their name on them). You are paying for known quality and reliability that is independantly verified on countless review sites and forum posts versus the cheap 'good enough' units that Cooler Master is known for producing

wel for me gonna run a fan controller so i dont care about noise i just want the best 120mm and 140mm fan i can get because my h50 isnt cutting it lol
The Gentle Typhoons are the best rad fan you will find in 25mm thick profiles. You can buy additional speed varieties up to 5400rpms (those sound like jet engines, seriously) from jab-tech.
http://jab-tech.com/120mm-Fans-c-81.html

If you have room for 38mm thick fans then you will find other options that offer better airflow, specifically Panaflo's
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12hisp.html

In either case, you can get better results by cutting the center out of dead fans and using them as spacers between the radiator and your push/pull fans. This increased spacing allows for airflow through the dead spot normally created where the fan's motor lines up with the radiator.

Last edited:

I've had all different kinds of fans including GTs and the GTs are by far the nicest fan i have used. The bearings on these are super high quality and the fan will spin for like 30 seconds after power is removed, also the fan blades are very balanced so you dont get vibrations from these, both of these help contribute to the fan being very quiet.

Bang for buck yate loons are pretty good and I bet better than those cooler masters. Every cooler master i've ever used has been comparably loud rpm for rpm.

I have a case full of Sickleflows and I still find them too loud. Just ordered two of these Gentle Typhoons, I've heard (pun intended) that they're the absolute finest in the 120mm fan range.

If you go to jab-tech.com they are $15 each not $25. If you dont want to pay that then get some other fans. We are just saying, in our opinions, that these are the best fans for what we use them for.

This thread made me lol at how misinformed some people are.

I had to laugh when i looked at those cooler master fans. If it has LEDs on the fan I find it hard to take them seriously as a quiet fan. I have yet to see a manufacturer actually trick out a quiet fan. I have a couple noctua fans and am looking for 1-2 more case fans. I'm thinking about getting this or nexus basic.

My motherboard can only control CPU fan speed on 4 pin fans. Can anyone recommend a good 4 pin fan for a cpu cooler (120mm)?

I think the aerosharks are decent 'tricked out' fans, not my cup of tea though...

I think the noctua fans are pwm no? Good choice, or if you can find the pwm GTs that would be good for a CPU cooler

Oh that's right the noctua have resistor pigtails.

You can look up silentpcreview and martinsliquidlab for through reviews on fans

For me there's only two choices

Medium speed yate loons for price/performance

And GTs for premium performance

Last edited:
if i have the 70cfm 120mm Yate Loon YL-D12SM on my rad in push/pull intakinig would spending the dam near 40$ on two of those Gts or maybe schyes be worth it or will my temps not drop much?!

if i have the 70cfm 120mm Yate Loon YL-D12SM on my rad in push/pull intakinig would spending the dam near 40$ on two of those Gts or maybe schyes be worth it or will my temps not drop much?!

If you don't plan on extremely high oc's for your cpu, I'd save the money and use the yate loons you have.

I have two of these in push pull on my h50. They are quieter than the single stock fan at full speed (all I can hear is the pump) and dropped my idle temps 5c and my load temps by 7c. I love these fans.

I have two of these in push pull on my h50. They are quieter than the single stock fan at full speed (all I can hear is the pump) and dropped my idle temps 5c and my load temps by 7c. I love these fans.

Nice, good to hear.

To the poster who couldn't figure out how these are quieter with a 29dba rating than other fans rated below 20dba, the H50 provides a good example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

The stock H50 fans are 1700rpm units of a traditional design like CM uses but are louder without delivering nearly the performance. The specs that manufacturers provide are pretty much worthless.

nexus 120 is a good choice as well imo. Uses the same yateloon motor i believe

I still cant justify spendnigi 16$ on ONE FAN lol even if they are that good

If you want all he flow and none of the noise, get these fans. The poster above wasn't kidding, I spun one by hand when I opened them and it kept spinning on it's own for what seemed like forever, and certainly more than the 2-3 seconds you could expect from a regular fan.

Best part, I get mine as a b-day present from my brother, he knew I was going push/pull and he read these were the best, so I didn't pay a thing for them. One of the best computer related presents I've gotten in a long time.

I have 30 of these babies for my monster case with them on push/pull on my 4 rads and i would'nt put anything else in my case from now on.

I could not get over how quiet these are when i first turned the system on.

Its all about the motor noise.. yes you can put a fan on a fan controller and lower the RPM's and lower the noise but it wont do much good is theres a loud whinning noise from the motor.

These are tops and thats why its hard to keep these in stock around the world!

My new build "in progress" No tomorrow! UPDATED! Post #59 is the latest revision.

I have 30 of these babies for my monster case with them on push/pull on my 4 rads and i would'nt put anything else in my case from now on.

I could not get over how quiet these are when i first turned the system on.

Its all about the motor noise.. yes you can put a fan on a fan controller and lower the RPM's and lower the noise but it wont do much good is theres a loud whinning noise from the motor.

These are tops and thats why its hard to keep these in stock around the world!

My new build "in progress" No tomorrow! UPDATED! Post #59 is the latest revision.

that looks... loud.

Back