SCSI vs SAS

moose517

Gawd
hi guys, want your thoughts, i have basically filled up the storage in my current norco chassi and isntead of replacing with larger drivers just want to get a second chassis for more. now someone i selling a unit that comes pre-loaded with 24 750GB drives in an enclosure. than enclosure gets connected to the main system using a SCSI ultra320 cable , my question is, since i do a lot of streaming and copying large amounts of data to the current server at a time, would that SCSI connection give enough bandwidth moving data from that enclosure into main computer chassis to not make movie streaming jittery, or would i be better off getting 2 raid cards that are SAS and using it to connect 2 enclosures together?

You are talking about connecting 24 (!) drives using a SINGLE SCSI-Ultra320 cable?

So you are talking about a DAS and not a NAS; meaning your storage is not central but directly connected to one PC?

Buying 24 750GB drives can't be cheap; are you sure building something yourself wouldn't be better? Using 1.5TB drives is cheaper and you don't need that many. What kind of RAID setup you want to use on those 24 drives?

In essence, too many questions. Please explain your situation in a bit more details, to give you more specific advise. So far i'm skeptical.

I dont think there are 750GB SCSI drives, SAS drives there are.

blue fox musta seen the FS thread on here LOL. will post link to that FS thread im referring to

i wouldn't touch that thing for any more than $1000. if anything breaks on it you're screwed since you'd be faced with paying big enterprise prices for any replacements. and that's assuming the manufacturer would even talk to you without renewing some b.s. maintenance contract or warranty.

stick with off the shelf consumer class components that are easily replaced. for starters get another Norco 4220. as far as how to actually daisy chain the second 4220, would depend on your application, O/S, existing HBA card, etc. which you haven't stated.

Last edited:
OS i'm using is WHS, right now i have the HDD's connected to the onboard connectors and 2 supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards in PCI-X slots, the motherboard has a PCIe slot so getting like the HP expander card for the second chassis + something with SFF plug would work as well. idk i need to come up with a solution for a second chassis quick as the slots are all filled on my first, would rather not pull the the 1TB's and replace with 2TB as the price just isn't worth it to me IMO. would rather just keep adding more HDD for now.

pulling 1Tb's and replacing with 2Tb's -- how is the price isn't worth it? consider I've been selling *used* 1Tb drives for $75-$80 on ebay and breaking relatively even by replacing them with Hitachi 2Tb drives @ $150 ea.

you'd be looking at $600-$700 *minimum* to buy a second chassis, power supply, SAS HBA card, power board for the expander, the expander itself, cables, etc. You're adding complexity where you don't need to. Since you are using WHS and therefore have the luxury of swapping different sized drives in and out, I would be doing exactly that. Once you're maxed out with 2Tb drives *then* worry about a second chassis.

Last edited:
Back