Screen problem

Larry04

n00b
Hi, I was suggested to post my problem here. I just built a computer and the screen does not work. I plugged everything in including the monitor but it just stays black. No screen pops up. I purchased these through newegg Here are my parts:

1. SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

2. Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

3. Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

4. ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

5. XFX HD-485X-YDDC Radeon HD 4850 XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

6. GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

7. Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G6400LLK

8. AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor

I made sure the video card was connected with the power. The power switch on the back is on. I connected the front panel switch properly cause I tried them all. The fans are spinning (CPU fan) and the fans that came with the case. I tried both ports for the monitor on the back and I used an old computer and the monitor works fine. Im using a corsair 450W. What is the paperclip trick? I dont' have any ddr2 memory. My friend suggested it might be my monitor. I tried connecting the monitor to a laptop but it doesn't work but I'm still unsure which part is wrong. I tried the monitor on an older computer as well but it works fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair 450W

I'm assuming you read the basic troubleshooting guide sticky?

You can google for the paperclip trick, but the procedure is pretty trivial and mentioned in the basic troubleshooting guide. You simply disconnect the PSU from everything, then use a paperclip to connect the green and any black wire on the main ATX 24-pin connector. Plug the PSU into the wall and flip the switch, and see if the unit's fan turns on.

Did you try the other steps in the Basic troubleshooting guide?
Do you hear any POST error beeps?
Do you have a system speaker installed?

your motherboard is faulty, unless the video card was tested in a different machine youre probably going to have to RMA the mobo

No beeps at all once started. Only thing I heard were the fans running lol. I thought it might of been a video card problem but after trying with other video cards, it still had no display and on the monitor it had "No signal detected" I always thought it was weird cause keyboard and mouse should of light up or even light up then not light up regardless of any problems but it didn't. I called for the RMA number. Hoping to receive a new one mobo soon. Thanks.

*edit* miss read something so changed my replay/question

have you tried booting up with only 1 stick of ram installed?

on the majority of amd systems video display not working usually is a sign of memory problems if the rest of the system is starting up.. i would go that route before rma'ing..

I tried booting with 2 rams at first then changed with 1 ram inserted. No beeps and no signal on monitor. Its like mobo not having any "outgoing" signal to keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

if there is nothing going to the mouse or keyboard then id say its the board for sure..

but just incase.. check all the plugs on the board coming from the psu..

another thing you could try is just resetting the bios.. not sure if i recommended this before the forums were rolled back.. but id pull the cmos battery and unplug the psu for a minute or 2.. who knows it could help.. because im like you i hate rma'ing stuff.. takes way to long..

I checked all the plugs on the board for sure and I asked my uncle to come over to take a look at it but he said it might be the motherboard cause nothing was flashing on the keyboard and mouse. He told me that even though no signal is to the monitor, the mouse and keyboard should light up. I tried clearing the CMOS with a screwdriver but it didn't work. I tried to take out the CMOS battery but i couldn't so i didn't bother with it. RMA takes way too long and I'm stuck using this old computer. I don't think i shorted out any things on the motherboard though cause no metal surface touched it :/

Back