SCI FI Channel Renamed To SyFy

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am sure that more than a few of you guys watch the SCI FI channel, so the news that they have changed their name to SyFy will be of interest. If this name change doesn’t work out and they have to go back to the original name, will they be….*drum roll please*….SyFy-less?

Syfy—unlike the generic entertainment category "sci-fi"—firmly establishes a uniquely ownable trademark that is portable across all nonlinear digital platforms and beyond, from Hulu to iTunes. Syfy also creates an umbrella brand name that can extend into new adjacent businesses under the Syfy Ventures banner, including Syfy Games, Syfy Films and Syfy Kids.

Dumb. Oh well. As long as they keep airing reruns of Stargate and Star Trek, and continually airing B-rated horror/disaster movies, I'm happy.

Well, I understand their reasoning for it as a legal maneuver, but it's just looks weird. :rolleyes: <shrug>

What no SyFy lawsuits over use of the term w/o permission?
6.gif

...establishes a uniquely ownable trademark that is portable across all nonlinear digital platforms and beyond
Who the hell talks like this? iTunes is a "nonlinear digital platform" now, is it?

It seems as if the notably familiar ringed planet logo is going away as well. Bad move. I guess if "generic TV channel"is what Sci Fi's going to become, then the new logo is fitting.

I like what Gawker said about the tagline, "which means nothing and is grammatically incoherent". Nice :)

This has got to be the stupidest damned idea ever... it's almost enough to make you think it's an early april fool's joke or something.

While reading the explanation I can see why they did it but I don't agree with what they've selected. However this is par for them and myself, they have so much power/money and ability yet they produce crap. I don't even watch that channel anymore and it should be beating discovery over the had as a top channel but its not!

Because they can't sue people for using their name as it is now.

Did Monster™ buy Sci-Fi?
Oh wait, if Monster™ bought Sci-Fi they would just add ™ to the end of it and sue everyone that uses Sci-Fi in any advertising or spoken word.

But on a more serious note, who cares? Stargate is gone, Battlestar Galactica (I don't watch it) is out the door in a few more epsiodes. Why draw attention to your network now when all it will do is suck with such great movies as Anaconda Attack and other terrible movies that look like theyr were made by film school students.

To the Monster™ execs. This post is Trademarked.

™

They ought to concentrate on improving their programing instead of their name.With the two Stargate series over and BSG soon to end,there's very little real sci-fi there.The movies they show are mostly terrible horror and monster flicks so ineptly made they're unwatchable.

Stargate Universe is set to come out this year. Plus they have reruns of ST:TNG. I have no idea how their anime mondays are working out. The new show with Amanda Tapping with the monsters is good (can't remember the name, but it's still good).

The name change is very stupid. I loved their commercials where the "SciFi" changed to "iF" with the cool sciencey stuff going on.

So now SciFi can change to Fy... and we all know what Fy stands for... coincidence, or just a bad joke? ;)

@Pezzy: Sanctuary?

I don't know, I think the name change makes sense. They wanted to stop being "generic genre channel" (after all, there isn't a "commedy channel" or "action channel" or "drama channel", etc...), but they wanted to keep the name pronounced the same since people are used to it.

So given the above situation, the new name makes perfect sense.

Icing on the cake... They canceled the good shows, now they can have a horribly bad name and air wrestling!

Stargate Universe is set to come out this year. Plus they have reruns of ST:TNG. I have no idea how their anime mondays are working out. The new show with Amanda Tapping with the monsters is good (can't remember the name, but it's still good).
Actually Stargate Universe is doing productions this year. It comes out in 2010.

Tapping's show is Sanctuary.

edit: Hmm I guess they're coming out LATE 2009. The last news I read on it was early release for 2010. My bad.

Sheer greed, ruining a brand by trying to cash in on a patent for it.
All they had to do was make the name change reasonable.
lol

What a fucking retarded name. BSG was the only thing worth watching and now that that is over, screw turning it on anymore.

LOL. When BSG is done next week there will be no reason to watch anyway. All it is now is retarded tripe like "Ghost Hunters." They can have their dork-ass brand.

So they change from a well-known brandname to something nonsensical. Sounds like Siffy, rhymes with sissy and shitty...appropriate for the post-BSG channel.

Same people who brought wrestling to the channel, this doesn't surprise me.

I think I watch more scfi shows on other channels now days.

Dumb. Oh well. As long as they keep airing reruns of Stargate and Star Trek, and continually airing B-rated horror/disaster movies, I'm happy.

Hah, I thought I was the only one who loved Sci-Fi's....oops, I mean SyFy's B-rated movies.

Name is cheeze though in my opinion.

Sounds like a good business move, I'm surprised they didn't think of it earlier. People may not like it at first, but having your name trademarked and stuff certainly help in the long run.

Kind of reminds me of Sufi. Which has religious connotations. Is that better than Science Fiction?

Back