school me on e-SATA

VA Supremacy

Limp Gawd
What's the deal with e-SATA? what's the best one?

I've found:

1)e-SATA -> SATA cable, which does what really?

2) e-SATA PCI bracket that connects to the internal SATA port

3) e-SATA PCI/PCI-e Cards (if I get one of these it would be non-RAID)

I want to hook up Lite-On BD-ROM DH-4O1S08C with PCMCIS ConStar SUES SATA to eSATA + USB2.0 Enclosure to my Asus M3N78 Pro board and stop using the USB cable since e-SATA is faster or so I've read.

What's the deal with e-SATA? what's the best one?

I've found:

1)e-SATA -> SATA cable, which does what really?

2) e-SATA PCI bracket that connects to the internal SATA port

3) e-SATA PCI/PCI-e Cards (if I get one of these it would be non-RAID)

I want to hook up Lite-On BD-ROM DH-4O1S08C with PCMCIS ConStar SUES SATA to eSATA + USB2.0 Enclosure to my Asus M3N78 Pro board and stop using the USB cable since e-SATA is faster or so I've read.

For your use get whatever is cheapest & will be easiest to install.. Probably option 2 & then a regular esata cable to connect to the drive, But with any option they will flat out outrun your drive anyhow.

Wouldn't an e-SATA -> to SATA cable be the cheapest since I'm assuming you connect the external device to the internal port directly instead of buying a PCI bracket and an e-SATA cable?

But I want something that's quality built and the fastest would the first two while cheaper still be better than an PCI/PCI-e card?

Wouldn't an e-SATA -> to SATA cable be the cheapest since I'm assuming you connect the external device to the internal port directly instead of buying a PCI bracket and an e-SATA cable?

But I want something that's quality built and the fastest would the first two while cheaper still be better than an PCI/PCI-e card?

If if the external eSATA drive has it's own power brick, then yes that would be the cheaper but messier option. Still gotta keep the PC case open if you want to go the e-SATA to SATA route.

Also the answer to that question depends on which PCI-E eSATA drive you're planning to get. Some of them are pretty crappy.

VA Supremacy said:

In your case, it doesn't matter if you go with eSATA. Blu-ray has a read speed of about 4.5MB/s. USB 2.0 can provide close to 30MB/s real world. So in other words, you're gonna get the same performance from your blu-ray drive whether you go e-SATA or not..

the eternal enclosure has its own power brick and the case is open anyway from the back.

I was thinking e-SATA transferring rate would be better since the drive is SATA and the external enclosure has the option for e-SATA.

I was thinking e-SATA transferring rate would be better since the drive is SATA and the external enclosure has the option for e-SATA.

That'll be true with a hard drive. BUt again, you're planning on using a Blu-Ray drive. So again, no difference.between eSATA and USB.

Back