Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD

Can you please elabrate on this more? like what are your settings now etc, how did you get it to this perfect calibration i wish to try it out !: )

My settings are just the factory defaults you get by going through the OSD and setting "Recall".

I also set the lamp to "1", but that is a personal preference thing.

This website here reviews the various hardware colorimeter/calibration software suites.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm#results

I happen to use a Spyder2 like they review here, but there is a cheaper Express version that goes for 70$ US.

The Patone Huey is another cheap solution which is supposedly just as good as the Spyder2, although my preference goes with the Spyder because that is what I am used to.

The colorimeter will adjust everything for you till colors are as accurate as they can make them on your hardware. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. It will then create an ICC profile and store it as the default profile in your windows display color management settings. Then, every time you load up windows the profile will kick in.

Here is a review of just the Spyder2Express that gives you an idea of how it works.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/spyder2express.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I dont know what to tell you. There is indeed banding in Prey and on some desktop wallpapers I have.

Cropped piece of a wallpaper:

Notice the horizontal lines. They should not be there.

Prey screen:

Notice the lines in the fog in the lower part of the screenshot. As the fog moves it is riddled with banding lines and looks far worse than the screenshot shows.

If you know anyway to reduce the banding please let me know.

LOL...the banding you are talking about is barely visible...i actually had to look at both pictures twice to notice it....sure its not perfect but for the price/value its awesome...

no banding ( shocked some ppl here are complaining =/ )

i second that...its so minimal that its barely noticeable at all...unless you are out looking for banding....hahah

My settings are just the factory defaults you get by going through the OSD and setting "Recall".

I also set the lamp to "1", but that is a personal preference thing.

This website here reviews the various hardware colorimeter/calibration software suites.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm#results

I happen to use a Spyder2 like they review here, but there is a cheaper Express version that goes for 70$ US.

The Patone Huey is another cheap solution which is supposedly just as good as the Spyder2, although my preference goes with the Spyder because that is what I am used to.

The colorimeter will adjust everything for you till colors are as accurate as they can make them on your hardware. This process takes about 5-10 minutes. It will then create an ICC profile and store it as the default profile in your windows display color management settings. Then, every time you load up windows the profile will kick in.

Here is a review of just the Spyder2Express that gives you an idea of how it works.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/spyder2express.html

um i wish the software was free :( i went back to default settings by recall and turned the lamp to one like you said. it does seem bright ( i am on max resoultion) i might turn the lamp to 0.

I wish i foudn this software do you know any trail verisons to do this?

@mac

i agree i had to look hard to find the banding in those pictures.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just received this monitor and hooked it up to my ps3 via hdmi. the image is very ugly. at 1080p there is all types of color problems and at 1080i it is better but it still looks very problematic.

I have no idea if this is my monitor, my ps3, or my hdmi cable. any ideas on things i can try?

in general, i've been very disappointed with the monitor though. even if i get the ps3 working on it ok I think it is going back to newegg.

Mine looks awesome in 1080p with my PS3.

Did you do any color adjustments or try any of the settings listed on previous pages of this thead? The factory default settings are terrible.

There's also a possibility you received a monitor that was manufactured in September/October with the old firmware and I've read that this firmware causes problems with artifacting in 1080p on the PS3. Sceptre will RMA your monitor for one with the updated firmware if this is the case, but you have to call them.

um i wish the software was free :( i went back to default settings by recall and turned the lamp to one like you said. it does seem bright ( i am on max resoultion) i might turn the lamp to 0.

I wish i foudn this software do you know any trail verisons to do this?

@mac

i agree i had to look hard to find the banding in those pictures.

I think you are misunderstanding me. The colorimeter is not software, it is a hardware device you mount on the screen to calibrate the colors, which communicates to a calibration software suite via USB. Using my settings won't help you at all unless you also have the device. Proper calibration is best done at default contrast, brightness, etc. If you are calibrating by eye, you do not want to use the defaults..

I think you are misunderstanding me. The colorimeter is not software, it is a hardware device you mount on the screen to calibrate the colors, which communicates to a calibration software suite via USB. Using my settings won't help you at all unless you also have the device. Proper calibration is best done at default contrast, brightness, etc. If you are calibrating by eye, you do not want to use the defaults..

Ah thank you, i will most likely pick up this product in the near future :)

so how does yours look? after you used the hardware?

LOL...the banding you are talking about is barely visible...i actually had to look at both pictures twice to notice it....sure its not perfect but for the price/value its awesome...

i second that...its so minimal that its barely noticeable at all...unless you are out looking for banding....hahah

Admittedly, I may be nitpicking a bit. And yeah, considering the price of this monitor the downsides are acceptable. Overall I'm satisfied with the x22wg-gamer. But keep in mind what I said about the banding looking far worse in person, especially in Prey where the fog moves--banding lines are flying all over and it's really noticeable. I dont have a lot of experience with LCD monitors yet though. This amount of banding is normal?

Just go my x22 from Costco a few days ago and am working hard to try to calibrate correctly. Colors look great and are vibrant, but I can't seem to get the black levels correct. At least that's what I think is causing the poor rendering in dark areas of gaming. Lots of poor transitions and twinkling in the dark colors. I see this in the dark caves while playing Oblivion.

Please see pictures located here http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tyoryl. (This is the only way I can post pictures right now)

I've tried many of the settings already posted and various free calibrating tests off the internet. I have to turn the Black to 5 get get some detail in these dark ares and up to 6 to show the 1-12% gradients in contrast tests, but this is often too bright for Internet or email. I feel like I'm getting the same results as Mega Sam who posted pictures a few pages back trying to set his constrast and brightness. I get the same results with that software and other tests (although my CRT wasn't any better). Is it possible to get better blacks than this? This same scene looks much better on my CRT. Will calibration help? Software or monitor calibration?

Also, there is a picture showing the amount of backlight bleed. Is this an acceptable level or does this seem extreme to anyone? This is with the lamp at 0. Also notice the waviness of the black screen?

I know it's a budget monitor and I love the color vibrance when looking at photos and there's no ghosting while gaming. No where near as dull as my CRT, but my dungeon crawling is going to get annoying if it looks like this. I don't want to return it as everything else looks great and love the size. I can even live with the backlight bleed. I haven't done any software gamma correction, but will try if I know it will work.

I'm running this from my PC, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, and a Nvidia 6800GS, DVI. Help is greatly appreciated. Hope this helps others who are looking to purchase this monitor.

Also, there is a picture showing the amount of backlight bleed. Is this an acceptable level or does this seem extreme to anyone? This is with the lamp at 0. Also notice the waviness of the black screen?

Personally, I don't think I could deal with that amount of backlight bleed. The waviness, and poor overall look of the black screen is also troublesome IMHO. I have been looking at the 22" Viewsonic at Costco, but wonder if it wouldn't have many of these same issues due to it being the same TN panel as all of the other 22" monitors.

Dear Customer,

HDTV only available through Hdmi or dvi ports.
Only way to find out is to connected Blueray player / PS3 to the monitor.

Best Regards,
Sceptre Technical Support Group.

OFFICIAL FROM SCEPTRE!!!! VGA CABLE FROM XBOX IS NOT HD, NO WONDER IT SUCKED WORSE THEN MY SHITY HDTV. can i get a converter VGA ro hdmi or dvi to get hd???? OMG THE SPEAKERS SUCK BTW.

OFFICIAL FROM SCEPTRE!!!! VGA CABLE FROM XBOX IS NOT HD, NO WONDER IT SUCKED WORSE THEN MY SHITY HDTV. can i get a converter VGA ro hdmi or dvi to get hd???? OMG THE SPEAKERS SUCK BTW.

You can't get HD from VGA. DVI to DVI or DVI to HDMI.

Does anyone actually buy a PC monitor for the sound:confused:

Dear Customer,

HDTV only available through Hdmi or dvi ports.
Only way to find out is to connected Blueray player / PS3 to the monitor.

Best Regards,
Sceptre Technical Support Group.

right and i bet if i emailed them back about the 360 vga adapter to play 720p to 1080i they will reply back " ah yes you can do that" so ya i bet you forgot to mention that detail . In anycase the 360 looks fantastic on this monitor i was playing GoW on this and it was god like :eek:

Just go my x22 from Costco a few days ago and am working hard to try to calibrate correctly. Colors look great and are vibrant, but I can't seem to get the black levels correct. At least that's what I think is causing the poor rendering in dark areas of gaming. Lots of poor transitions and twinkling in the dark colors. I see this in the dark caves while playing Oblivion.

Please see pictures located here http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tyoryl. (This is the only way I can post pictures right now)

I've tried many of the settings already posted and various free calibrating tests off the internet. I have to turn the Black to 5 get get some detail in these dark ares and up to 6 to show the 1-12% gradients in contrast tests, but this is often too bright for Internet or email. I feel like I'm getting the same results as Mega Sam who posted pictures a few pages back trying to set his constrast and brightness. I get the same results with that software and other tests (although my CRT wasn't any better). Is it possible to get better blacks than this? This same scene looks much better on my CRT. Will calibration help? Software or monitor calibration?

I know it's a budget monitor and I love the color vibrance when looking at photos and there's no ghosting while gaming. No where near as dull as my CRT, but my dungeon crawling is going to get annoying if it looks like this. I don't want to return it as everything else looks great and love the size. I can even live with the backlight bleed. I haven't done any software gamma correction, but will try if I know it will work.

I'm running this from my PC, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, and a Nvidia 6800GS, DVI. Help is greatly appreciated. Hope this helps others who are looking to purchase this monitor.

Yes you can get better blacks if you buy a calibration hardware for your monitor. The poster on this page posted it.

the dark lvls are not great i do agree so i have to swtich back and forth sometimes in some dark caves MMORPGS though i also turned up the gamma and that does work as well instead of turning up the black lvl.

If i bought this monitor, would i notice a difference between DVI/VGA and HDMI with my PC?
You will probably see a big difference between VGA and DVI, but AFAIK HDMI is basically just a DVI connection which some extra signals for the DRM/HDCP. If you do not plan on buying an HD-DVD/Blu-ray and playing HD movies on your PC then you will never see any benefit to using HDMI over DVI.

right and i bet if i emailed them back about the 360 vga adapter to play 720p to 1080i they will reply back " ah yes you can do that" so ya i bet you forgot to mention that detail . In anycase the 360 looks fantastic on this monitor i was playing GoW on this and it was god like :eek:

on the dashboard, it said if i want hd i g2 hook up a hd device. you dont have hd xbox. and GoW was washed out looking, what settings are u using to make it so awesome? And about the speakers, i dident expect them to be this bad, considering i was buying as a tv too.

Personally, I don't think I could deal with that amount of backlight bleed. The waviness, and poor overall look of the black screen is also troublesome IMHO. I have been looking at the 22" Viewsonic at Costco, but wonder if it wouldn't have many of these same issues due to it being the same TN panel as all of the other 22" monitors.
New owners HAVE to spend some time with this monitor: (1) making sure their graphics card and driver settings are right, and (2) with the monitor itself making sure the settings on it are optimal. If you do, you will be well rewarded with a sweet monitor for an amazing price. (And just like the cheap stand, don't rely on the cheap free cables that come with it. Get some nice shielded cables - they're not that expensive.)

BTW: If you haven't seen it, here's a pretty good new thread discussing Sceptre x22wg calibration on the xtremesystems forum. Start with post #594 by "shifty803".

Hi!

That monitor looks amazing. The only thing is that I own an Xbox 360 with HD DVD. And I sometimes watch HD DVDs on my computer. Some people on this thread said there was no HDCP support over DVI while on other forums people said it had HDCP on both DVI and HDMI ! I'm a little confused! Can somebody confirm it?

Also, is there any imput lag?

Thanks!

There is NO HDCP on the DVI connection, but there is HDCP on the HDMI connection. I have successfully confirmed this using a PS3 with a HDMI to DVI cable, and i get no signal.

There is NO HDCP on the DVI connection, but there is HDCP on the HDMI connection. I have successfully confirmed this using a PS3 with a HDMI to DVI cable, and i get no signal.

That's makes no sense, I do hope you realize that. A PS3 does not need HDCP in order to get a signal nor play any content of any sort at this moment actually. HDCP will come into play with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, then the HDCP on the HDMI will come into play. DVI ports can have support for HDCP, and that's why I do not think its impossible a HDMI to DVI cable would work and still support HDCP, your experience does nothing to prove or disprove that.

I know HDMI to DVI cables exist but I never heard of DVI to HDMI cables!

Let's say i take an HDMI to DVI cable and plug it from my computer (DVI) to my monitor (HDMI). Will it work?

Also, i found a converter but I'm not sure it would work cause it's stated HDMI to DVI converter...

Thanks!

hey guys..im new here and im have problems with the screen i just bought a innovation hdmi 1.3 cable for the ps3 to my new sceptre screen.. and with all wires connected i set the source on the hdmi/digital input mode and i get no picture but i can hear the ps3 backround music... it was set on 480p by default but im not getting any picture..? thx..

Silly question. I tried a new DVI cable from Best Buy in an effort to improve my monitors black levels (just taking a shot). They had the DVI cable for $20 and another cable the salesperson called "standard higher end" which was $50. I believe the difference is single link versus dual link (more pins on the dual). I tried the single link and didn't notice any difference. Does anyone think dual link is worth it? Thanks!

I tried the single link and didn't notice any difference. Does anyone think dual link is worth it? Thanks!

dual link is only needed for additional bandwidth when you are running like, really high resolutions, I think up to 1920x1080 can run on single link perfectly fine.

for all you ppl arguing about the DVI and HDMI cables....heres the correct info:

HDMI-to-DVI and DVI-to-HDMI is ONE CABLE. Doesn't matter which one is plugged where...the signal can still get transfered either way.

i do have one of those cables for my sceptre. DVI from computer connected to HDMI to monitor to get HDCP. there is NO HDCP via DVI on this monitor.

i can fully confirm this as my xbox 360's HD-DVD drive connect to my computer via usb...not xbox and i can successfully play HDCP content - my graphics card also supports HDCP.

BTW...that converter is for only when you have a regular HDMI cable and need DVI on one side as the hdmi port is female and dvi is male.

Hey guys,

I ordered my dream system from Newegg a few days ago...:

Intel e6600
Antec P180b
Enermax Liberty 620w PSU
Buffalo Firestix (2x1gb) DDR 800
Western Digital Caviar HD 320gb 7200RPM (x2)
EVGA 680i MB
EVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS3
(... and of course, an anti-static wrist strap)

I ALSO purchased a x22wg 22" Sceptre monitor. I was STOKED that it had HDMI support, as I am planning on getting an HD-DVD player.

I got the monitor FIRST... so I used VGA out from my laptop, which has a Mobility Radeon 9600. A decent video card... I set it up, but the colors looked weird.

Ok, so I went online and looked for "monitor configuration" and found a way to get the whites white and the blacks black and, the best I could, in between.

Err... ok, it still looks kind of off...

And then I realized what I knew from the moment I plugged it in: This thing is blurry. Ouch. My eyes hurt. At native resolution, mind you. Ouch.

Naw, I'm dreaming.

So I go out and buy a Viewsonic VX2235wm from a local Costco. This thing is the same price, but no HDMI support, no HDCP, no 1200:1 contrast ratio (700:1). But I figure, give it a shot, see how it looks.

I plug it in...

Wow.

The default, plug and play, colors look 110% better than my x22wg. WTF??? The fonts are CLEAR. I can read and look at the screen longer than 5 mins without getting a headache. It's not as bright, mind you, but it's damn clear, compared to the x22wg.

I think to myself again, naw, this can't be right. They're based off the same panel.

Plug in the x22wg again... OUCH! The colors are WAY off. I've tried adjusting it again, but to no avail. Even with the sharpest settings I'm able to come up with, it is blurrier than the VX2235wm.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to love the Sceptre x22wg. I DO! I love it's look more than the Viewsonic, I love it's size more, bezel, on-screen controls...

but to me, it's a no brainer... the Viewsonic looks better.

A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER:

I'm using VGA out on my laptop. It looks GREAT on my viewsonic, but the sceptre may be having troubles with the VGA output. Anyone else seen this? (using ATI Mobility Radeon 9600)

I haven't been able to compare with DVI, as my EVGA 680i board was DOA, and I had to RMA with overnight shipping. Should be here Saturday 1/27 or Monday 1/29. Cross your fingers for me.

SPECIFICALLY FOR THOSE WHO OWN THIS MONITOR:
What are your on-screen settings? Who else is connected via VGAout or an ATI Radeon? I have the latestest Catalyst drivers.

Has anyone else experienced watery eyes from viewing the x22wg? Am I crazy?

As many answers as possible, please :)

I thought this monitor had bad colors too. But when I changed the settings its much better now. But vga connections have bad colors, dvi connection is much better. so these settings are thru the DVI connection:

Contrast: 65

Black level: 7

R gain: 129

G gain: 127

B gain: 131

Lamp level: 0

My Sceptre x22wg also looks blurry when connected via VGA to my laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. But I tried it with DVI on my desktop and it looks much crisper. I have to buy a new laptop that has DVI. I also bought a Spyder monitor calibrator, which has not arrived yet (actually, my dad bought it, because he needs it for his work...it's nice to have a landscape architect as a dad).

hey guys..im new here and im have problems with the screen i just bought a innovation hdmi 1.3 cable for the ps3 to my new sceptre screen.. and with all wires connected i set the source on the hdmi/digital input mode and i get no picture but i can hear the ps3 backround music... it was set on 480p by default but im not getting any picture..? thx..

check in the seetings if its set to native or full, if u set to native it will make it tiny in mid and u cna change seettings. hope this might help

SPECIFICALLY FOR THOSE WHO OWN THIS MONITOR:
What are your on-screen settings? Who else is connected via VGAout or an ATI Radeon? I have the latestest Catalyst drivers.

Has anyone else experienced watery eyes from viewing the x22wg? Am I crazy?

As many answers as possible, please :)

The x22wg-Gamers take some serious time to calibrate. The factory settings are BAD and it took me a full week of messing with it before I was completely satisfied. I'd say my only real complaints with it now is slight banding mainly in Doom 3 engine games and the sub-par vertical viewing angle--but I'm learning to live with it.

My OSD settings are very similar to Mega Sam's:

Contrast: 60

Black level: 7

R gain: 129

G gain: 127

B gain: 131

Lamp level: 0

And my Nvidia display driver color correction settings are as follows:

Digital Vibrance: off

Brightness: 101%

Contrast: 97%

Gamma: 0.86

Image Sharpening: off

I'm on the DVI. Got a high quality dual link DVI cable (which is not really necessary, only needed for very high resolutions) from BB for $50 and the view is definitely a little crisper over VGA--but not anything to write home about. I didnt use any hardware calibration tools like SpyderPro, just messed around with some online monitor calibration sites. These were posted earlier in this thread:

1. CalibrationAider (for Windows)
2. Hex2Bit Color Calibration Utility
3. ColorWizzard Calibration Tool
4. General Digital Calibration Utility
5. Monitor Black Point Check
6. Monitor Gray Scale Test
7. Norman Koren's Calibration Tools
8. Tom Niemann's Calibration Tools
9. Bryce Alive Calibration Utility
10. Westminster Astro's Calibration Tools

Good luck, and dont give up!

bought one from costco and had a stuck pixel center bottom right, took it back, ordered another one. 2nd order is fine no problems.

I did buy a spyder2express it worked great on this monitor, best money spent. colors are right on the money and this monitor looks great.
I did all my monitors! laptops, and a CRT (soon to be x22wg)

I wish I could take some pics for show and tell but can not get the digital camera to take shots that are close to what is on the monitor.

bought a another x22wg from costco should be here next week.

For those saying that the colors are great, can you please let me know how the dark grays or blacks look. Would the Spyder2 be able to fix darks scenes such as this? This is a dark cave in Oblivion and I just can't get it to look realistic. Notice the greens and reds? Those don't belong there.

Been tweeking levels for over a week now. I agree nice bright colors look great, but these dark areas just seem unnatural and there's so much twinkling (dithering?).

Also does anyone have this "blocky disturbance" during video playback? I think it's called artifacts? I notice this during movies also.

I want to like this monitor, but I just can't keep it if I can't fix the blacks / dark colors. I'll try the Spyder2 calibrator, but I'm just not sure that's going to help. I've tried some of the settings posted and almost all of the free calibration tools. But it's just too bright :cool: when not in dark scenes or during normal use.

Thanks

here are some shots

main.php

http://101st-clan.com/modules/galle...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4869&g2_serialNumber=1

http://101st-clan.com/modules/galle...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4855&g2_serialNumber=1

I am NOT the best at photos, the screen look much better then the phots

got mine friday, looks good one dead pixel and extremely light backlight bleeding.

Anyways so far through vga the letters are flippin huge and bios, makes it easy to read and overclock, just have to sit back a few feet compared to a crt. So Far gameplay wise no ghosting but ive only played wolfenstein: enemy territory and frets on fire.
Anyways expect a lot of pics soon.

one thing that really helps if you have a NVidia card is turning up the digital vibrance and lowering the gamma a bit.

makes colors richer.

I am waiting on setting up this monitor on a newer video card. The Radeon 9600 supports the native resolution of the x22wg, but how well??... I don't know.

I am waiting on an RMAed EVGA 680i that was DOA. Hopefully, I'll be able to report back mid-week on how much better the picture looks using a newer card and DVI cable...

-- chicago312 -

Just for a comparison, can I ask how your scenes in the caves of Oblivion look? Does it look better thanthe picture I posted above?

Thanks

Back