Scary FPS computer games?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried searching for this question and found this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1306467
which helps some but I am looking for specifically FPS. I have played FEAR, Doom 3, STALKER (which I never really got into for some reason) FEAR scared the shit out of my the first time I played through and I loved that about the game. Are there other FPS scary games out there I would enjoy if I liked the FEAR type game? I believe AVP was a FPS and I've heard that's good. I don't really know what my other options are.

AvP2 is one of the best FPS's out there in my opinion. It's too bad it wasn't more popular. Only the Marine campaign could be defined as scary out of the three, if you could even call it that. But the game is real fun over all.

System Shock 2.That game needs a remake! 1999 graphics (plus some fan made textures) can only go so far.

System Shock 2.That game needs a remake! 1999 graphics (plus some fan made textures) can only go so far.

QFT! the only game to date that has ever succeeded in scaring the crap out of me. it looks much better with the SHTUP upgraded textures and the upgraded models arent bad either, but very true only goes so far.

THRESHIN you have obviously not played the penumbra sereis... It´s not a fps but it´s an adventure game in fps perspective...

I am a hardened gamer have played through shalebridge, cradle, avp, avp 2, system shock 2 among others and survived but apart from the many moments I was scared shitless there was one moment where I was paralyzed just couldn´t move for 15 minutes before I felt safe enough to continue on weak legs lol.

Otherwise after running throuhg shalebridge cradle I thought nothing could ever have the same effect on me.

Condemned: Criminal Origins

same guys who made FEAR... good game, and probably scarier than FEAR atmosphere wise. It's almost like playing the movie Seven but in a video game, hunting down a serial killer.

Doom 3 *if your a wuss*

F.E.A.R *you will shit your pants*

Clive Barkers "Undying"

Alice McGees "Alice"

Its graphics aren't that bad actually. The problem is with the models. They are hugely low-poly. However, I'm not a fan of the Rebirth models because they all look the same. (which the lower poly models kind of hide) With the extra detail it's easy to tell. With the SHTUP texture pack, and running it at 8xAA+SuperSampled Transparency AA+16XAF at 1680x1050 it actually holds up very well. Not to mention if you use DDFix and the Widescreen patch, it has 32 bit color, and can be put in widescreen modes. It doesn't use 32 bit textures, but it gets rid of the banding.

I'm playing through right now. I'm on the Hydroponics deck. Oh how I love this game.

I'd recommend checking out:

http://www.ttlg.com
http://www.strangebedfellows.de/

Tons of resources for getting the game running well, and making it look good.

Clive Barkers Undying and System Shock 2, both have awesome gameplay and scary atmosphere.

FEAR had both the scary atmosphere and the moments that make you jump.

Bioshock had the atmosphere with very weak jumpy points.

To me at least atmosphere will make an overall scarier game than just parts that make you jump out of your seat. Those parts, if well placed, will augment the atmosphere greatly, however.

Undying.

/thread

+1

I think this was the first FPS i've played that actually told a story. The only other game that had that kind of cinematics at the time was Soul Reaver.

btw, the graphics still look good even today.

Hey, ya'll forgot about the Mortyre series..... Those games were scary as hell....Scary bad, that is. :p

Really though, I'm sitting here racking my brains to think of anything beyond what's already been mentioned..... And I just can't think of any more retail ones... But there is a series of Half-Life (1) mods that you might like, called They Hunger Parts 1-3. They're Half-Life single player TC's, where your the only survivor of some thing that turned the worlds population into zombies. Pretty standard zombie plot line, I know, but the games are really well done for mods. You'll probably have to dig up an old copy of Half-Life, and Google the mods, as they're not available over Steam, and I'm not sure that there's a way to get them to work with the Steam version of HL. But you might find it's worth it.

EDIT: Gave the wrong name for the mods.... Got it confused with the movie They Live.

Sorry about that. fixed now.

2nding condemned, great game most of us PC gamers haven't had the pleasure of playing.

I wish I had played System Shock 2 back in the day, but I was to busy with Half Life too bother....

ordered condemned: criminal origins and after I finish that I'll try another from the list :)
thanks for the help guys

If you can wait one more month, you can pick up Deadspace. It's supposed to be scary as shit with "crap your pants" moments every few minutes.

Bioshock isn't scary, per se, but it has a very creepy/skin-crawling, immersive atmosphere that keeps your imagination running. QFT for the weak jumpy points, but the overall tone of the game is very black and twisted.

Painkiller wasn't really scary because there was heavy-metal music most of the time, but there were a few parts. Babies without legs and eyes? Check!

THRESHIN you have obviously not played the penumbra sereis... It´s not a fps but it´s an adventure game in fps perspective...

I am a hardened gamer have played through shalebridge, cradle, avp, avp 2, system shock 2 among others and survived but apart from the many moments I was scared shitless there was one moment where I was paralyzed just couldn´t move for 15 minutes before I felt safe enough to continue on weak legs lol.

Otherwise after running throuhg shalebridge cradle I thought nothing could ever have the same effect on me.

hmm, I googled that and looks like I can buy/download the game so may start with that one because I could only get condemned online so won't be here for a few days. I hope it is as scary as you claim :D

Undying
System Shock 2
Alien vs. Predator 2
Doom 3
FEAR? (havent played it)

Fear is really the only game that has ever really scared me. That was just plain crazy.

No games have scared me. I'm immune to horror be it in movies and video games. :)

Guess the only scare factor to come close would be System Shock 2.

The first condemned wasn't that scary to me. Probably because it has the most linear gameplay ever, and the lame way you had to drop what you were carrying to go find an axe / crowbar / whatever to open a door.

It's hard to be scared when you're constantly annoyed.

Good recommendations so far. I'd have to give an honorable mention to the Silent Hill series as well.

Not much scares me either...(I watch the 6 O'Clock news)
I liked FEAR, but still need to finish it.
I liked Ghostmaster because i got to scare people in it, but not the same i suppose... :p
I like games where you hear a noise and your not sure if it's real or from the game. Have had that happen to me a few times and gets your blood jumping...hehe

I like games where you hear a noise and your not sure if it's real or from the game. Have had that happen to me a few times and gets your blood jumping...hehe

yep, damn STALKER does that to me every single time I play :p

Back