scared while playing games?

mordeki

Weaksauce
For awhile when games like undying, doom 3 and now fear were talked about, people talked about being scared during gameplay. How scared are we talking? Because Ive played these "scary" games and the strongest feeling I ever had was startled. Like when something just appears it makes me tend towards shooting it.

The idea of being scared from a video game seems a little foreign to me.

Anyone else think the scared thing is blown out of proportion?

i can get really scared when playing some games... of course it only happens when i create the proper atmosphere

i.e. turn off all the lights, put on headphones, and turn the volume up etc...

my favorite scary moments happened in AvP, playing as a marine, with nothing but a small flare to light up an intersection of corridors... and my motion tracker slowly letting me know that something is coming :D

i literally jumped out of my chair once when my gf tapped me on the shoulder during a moment like that

Well I'm the same way (OP). But hell with movies too. They either startle, or maybe manage to brain fuck you a little bit. I can still appreciate both forms. I've certainly been startled or meant to think hmm... that's creepy. Just for me I know scary art, can't hurt me in real life. But I wouldn't judge others, hard to read there tone as to how scared they actually are. Guys like you and I can't know how deep they are actually in fear and might overthink the fear they may express. I would imagine many of these people know that their monitor can't emit hellspawns. You have been startled and the like I'm sure. If I had dreams about games, I'd be a little more apprehensive. But for whatever reason I never dream about games or movies. I guess it's that disconnect from reality again. Because obviously I dream, just not about this shit. I guess like a stupid tune, some things stick on some people a bit. When people said they crapped there pants playing Doom, yes I find that pretty rediculous even if they are overexaggerating in a semi-serious way (as opposed to joking).

So I will say I don't really get an overwhleming sense of fear, while not being overly macho. Shit if the FEAR girl was in a dream I had, I guess that wouldn't be good. However, she won't be. I guess I quickly "unplug", and go back to thinking about boobies.

I think I'm over average at suspending disbelief; I get into movies that others can't take seriously. This also mean that I'm scared as all hell by scary movies, and yes, it does also translate to games. I couldn't get through the first level of Doom3, hell, I was freaked out by the spider level in Unreal 2. (Got through that one, though.)

(Interesting side effect: I get really embarrassed on peoples behalf when they make fools out of themselves in movies. As a form of humor, it's not one that works well on me. :) )

only time I've ever been truely scared...is on the Playstation.

Resident Evil.

The first scene.

You enter the room...and you see a zombie eating a human, And he turns around and screams, or charges at you..or something..

I was young, it was at 2am at night....I got freaked the fuck out.

pussies :p

just jokin lol, ill admit doom 3 made me jump a few times lol. i honestly didnt think fear was that scary, good atmosphere but the scare factor just wasnt there for me.

I don't scare that easy when playing games. Hell...for all intents and purposes I'm dead from the neck up while playing some games anyhow :p

yeah some scary times, doom 3 for xbox, ive played that, but i try to look at it with a comical view. i swear at it constantly when something scary pops up. resident evil for gamecube was a fucking scary game. luigi's mansion lol that had some spooky times. max payne's scared me a few times. wolfensteing and doom, yeah, i've had my memorable moments. for a movie, SAW scared the living FUCK out of me at times, honestly scary movie, along with resident evil, that made me jump a few times.

I was playing theif II. I was in some basement with zombie things in there, and a lot of gaurds after me. It was around 2:00am.

I leaned back to stretch out my back. I had the volume cranked up to listen to the gaurds, to see if they were near me. It was very quiet. As I leaned back in the chair, my foot hit the power strip. The monitor flashed white, my 3 amplifier/receivers went KATHUMP through the 12" woofers and subs. Scared the shit out of me.

Now, these arnt your nomal pussy computer speakers. These are home amplifiers. They are about 750W RMS total. So damn big and heavy, that my computer desk is bending in the middle under the weight of them.

bob said:
I was playing theif II. I was in some basement with zombie things in there, and a lot of gaurds after me. It was around 2:00am.

I leaned back to stretch out my back. I had the volume cranked up to listen to the gaurds, to see if they were near me. It was very quiet. As I leaned back in the chair, my foot hit the power strip. The monitor flashed white, my 3 amplifier/receivers went KATHUMP through the 12" woofers and subs. Scared the shit out of me.

OMGWTFLOLBBQLMFAO

I've done that before, Only accidentally hitting the power on for a TV while playing PC games.

Next thing you know , BAM! Full volumn blast.

Scares the shit outa you

Yeah it's not so much a fear of impending doom causing you to pee yourself with anxiety. It's more like getting so into the game and the next thing you know something pops out at you or something happens that you weren't expecting that causes the fear.

*Semi Spoiler*

I just played the FEAR demo and the little girl was pretty creepy!

mordeki said:
Anyone else think the scared thing is blown out of proportion?

It definitely is. People confuse "creepy" with "startling" with "scary." Doom 3 is semi-creepy and semi-startling. F.E.A.R. is definitely creepy and startling. Neither are truly scary.

The Silent Hill series, however, is most definitely scary, because it plays off psychological fears instead of simply throwing creepy cutscenes at you.

Silent Hill 1 is the only game that creeped me out, and it did a damn good job at it.

i dont really get scared just kinda jump when shit pops up, doom 3 scares me a little tho, when i hear breathing and stuff and i dont want to walk around a corner because i know that something will prolly pop up and scare the shit outta me.

doom 3 + dark room + head phones on full blast = scary...

everytime i turn a corner and a creature jumps at me...

man its a rush and chilling at the same time

DOOM3: the infamous "bathroom mirror scene". My speakers were pretty loud, and the FP2001 in all it's glory--1600x1200 maxed. Well when that sound, and the red..... the blood drained out of my head in fear the same way it did when I first saw that guy get pinned to the wall with a butcher knife in the original Haloween movie. It was real physical fear reaction. I was pretty impressed with that. Imagine when we have enormous screens that wrap around us.

Fear: is an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger real or not. It is usually followed by the urge to run away or fight depending on the situation.

In games, it usually ends up in the urge to fight because you are given an option. Usually some sort of a weapon and the option to run away isn't usually there due to the advancement of the story line. You need to do this to get this.

In moveis it's an over reaction of the brain. Which causes anxiety.

I've come to realize that if you are the type of person who has an over active imagination, you scare easy. I happen to be that type of person. My mind is always turning. I got scared while playing D00M 3 and I get scared while watching horror movies or thrillers.

After I saw The Grudge (as much as that movie sucked balls) I was scared and my mnd wandered late at night. Actually, the best part of the movie was the girl, she rocked, the cat boy was plain annoying and talk about plot holes the size of planets.

I've actually taken my over active imagination and put it to good use. I wirte. Constantly. Almost all of the stories I have written have been picked up by a publisher, though none of it has been released as of yet. And as much as I hate horror stories my latest book is one. And I actually creep myself out while I'm writing or brainstorming. Because I usually do both when I'm alone and in really paculiar places like basements, or in the dark. I have beaten D00M 3 but have yet to get past the first section of RoE.

ITs the sounds that do it for me. When i'm on doom 3 and I cant take it anymore I just turn down my sounds.

The story about the monitor flashing and the speakers thumping is great. I can imagine that just might startle me enough to hit scared :)

Its allowing yourself to get scared. Turning off lights, and cranking sound are both actions you can do to "heighten" your sense of awarness. Any type of action that heightens your senses, allows yourself to be totally immersed. Especially with a high sense of sight and sound followed by interacting with these types of games. Doing this will make someone more adept to jumping at certain points, yelling outloud, and allowing your mind to wander and let your subconcious make you afraid of whats around the corner before you actual see or hear what it is.

You can avoid this, or make the experience seem like a game of pac-man, by turning down sound.. or off. Playing happy music instead like pop or teeny dance. Use speakers instead of headphones. Playing with all the lights on and having TV or a friend distracting you... etc.. things like that.

Personally, I don't always, or can't always, play games like AvP, Doom(123), System Shock, Undying and recently the F.E.A.R demo with everything setup to be totally immersed.. its exhausting lol. Although sometimes its just cool to get your heart pounding and let yourself be creeped out. :)

ojax

yes, im a game wimp

I never got past the school level in Silent Hill 1
Never got far in any silent hill
I refuse to play fatal frame anything because creepy little dead girls really freak me out.

I've had too many experiances with the supernatural(i've posted stories years ago on the oollld general mayhem here)

Moose777 said:
Fear: is an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger real or not. It is usually followed by the urge to run away or fight depending on the situation.

In games, it usually ends up in the urge to fight because you are given an option. Usually some sort of a weapon and the option to run away isn't usually there due to the advancement of the story line. You need to do this to get this.

In moveis it's an over reaction of the brain. Which causes anxiety.

I've come to realize that if you are the type of person who has an over active imagination, you scare easy. I happen to be that type of person. My mind is always turning. I got scared while playing D00M 3 and I get scared while watching horror movies or thrillers.

After I saw The Grudge (as much as that movie sucked balls) I was scared and my mnd wandered late at night. Actually, the best part of the movie was the girl, she rocked, the cat boy was plain annoying and talk about plot holes the size of planets.

I've actually taken my over active imagination and put it to good use. I wirte. Constantly. Almost all of the stories I have written have been picked up by a publisher, though none of it has been released as of yet. And as much as I hate horror stories my latest book is one. And I actually creep myself out while I'm writing or brainstorming. Because I usually do both when I'm alone and in really paculiar places like basements, or in the dark. I have beaten D00M 3 but have yet to get past the first section of RoE.
About the same with me. Except I don't esspecially enjoy scaring myself. Not to say you do, but I believe I am less inclined to indulge in a horror movie/game. I do have an over active imagination, though. I'm such a tard with it too. Never put it to good use, and woke myself up in the middle of the night for over an hour, thanks to demon cats marking my car, so I wouldn't be able to get away from them... aye, it's retarded, but it's easy to let yourself succumb to the fear when you're dilerious. :D

Anyway, I often don't have too much of a problem with some typical paranormal. At first I was reluctant to tackle the fear demo. Didn't get past the first encounter, because all the flickering lights, static, and scurying rats in the begining parts of the level got me on edge. After the first fire fight I was already thrilled enough.

I went back and actually took care of the rest of the demo and it didn't turn out too bad. Aside from the ghost which does absolutely nothing, there was very little supernatural you encounter, much less fight. Even then, I can see myself getting on edge over ghosts, or apparitions, but throw in zombies, monsters, or decay, and I freak all the fuck out. I guess it may depend on how things work out in the full game, but based upon the demo alone, I am actually quite interested in the full game. I may actually be able to finish this thing, and even enjoy going through with headphones and all the immersive gear.

The gameplay all around is great, though. AI is spot on. Though it has gotten sketchy from time to time. Got face to face with the big dude, and all his AI seemed to want to do is run INTO me, but not actually do anything. Aside from a few bugs it has been reasonably challenging. Furthermore, there seems to be some phenominal tweening between ragdoll and animations for hit registry. I've seen enemies ragdoll onto railings, or into a slup, then pull themselves back to a stand while in a daze. I'm not sure how the pseudo over the top action movie-esque fire fights/gameplay mixes with the atmosphere and plot, but I guess it's not too bad, since your character is supposed to be something of a super human+ESP and such, from what I can gather. That and monolith typically has good support for mods, I really hope there are a good deal of modifications for this thing. Everything about the gameplay feels extremely solid.

Doom3 made me wanna jump and strafe. You have a rocket launcher in your hands what's there to be scared off. Pull the trigger.

Scariest game that you'll ever set hands on is...(Dino Crisis 1) at (230AM) during a (Thunderstorm) for which your (power) goes out often.

First few minutes into it there's a raptor hiding in a closet somewhere and it gets very quiet...and as he jumps out I throw the controller in the air and the power jolts/goes out and everything is dark and I can't see shit.

So with this I got up from my couch where I was playing (now keep in mind it's 2AM, no one is home |parents are overseas and my siblings were out someplace| and I strafe my way past things blindy, searching around, when all the sudden I trip over my dog, the dog gets startled and starts howling/barking scaring the shit out of me even more till the point where I almost crap myself. At this point Im scared stiff and once my dog layed down again and stfu I listened and I could hear what sounded like footsteps but was really rain (too scared to differenciate)

while laying there I slowly got up and as I stood up the power comes back on but there's no lights on downstairs. We have an alarm system that craps out every poweroutage and often it goes off upon reactivation, so when I got up I made my way to the kitchen where the unit was and the thing lights up and all the alarms go off, making my dog bark a police call/firetruck call, 2 minutes later Im standing there and the doorbell rings and there's a cop there. Open it up and he asks "You alright?" I said "yeah the power went out, nothin wrong here" with that the power goes off again and the dog howls and at this point I just said "the hell with this!" , ran past the cop and down the street to my grandparents house.
this whole story is bullshit though.

Kiggles said:
About the same with me. Except I don't esspecially enjoy scaring myself. Not to say you do, but I believe I am less inclined to indulge in a horror movie/game. I do have an over active imagination, though. I'm such a tard with it too. Never put it to good use, and woke myself up in the middle of the night for over an hour, thanks to demon cats marking my car, so I wouldn't be able to get away from them... aye, it's retarded, but it's easy to let yourself succumb to the fear when you're dilerious. :D

Anyway, I often don't have too much of a problem with some typical paranormal. At first I was reluctant to tackle the fear demo. Didn't get past the first encounter, because all the flickering lights, static, and scurying rats in the begining parts of the level got me on edge. After the first fire fight I was already thrilled enough.

I went back and actually took care of the rest of the demo and it didn't turn out too bad. Aside from the ghost which does absolutely nothing, there was very little supernatural you encounter, much less fight. Even then, I can see myself getting on edge over ghosts, or apparitions, but throw in zombies, monsters, or decay, and I freak all the fuck out. I guess it may depend on how things work out in the full game, but based upon the demo alone, I am actually quite interested in the full game. I may actually be able to finish this thing, and even enjoy going through with headphones and all the immersive gear.

The gameplay all around is great, though. AI is spot on. Though it has gotten sketchy from time to time. Got face to face with the big dude, and all his AI seemed to want to do is run INTO me, but not actually do anything. Aside from a few bugs it has been reasonably challenging. Furthermore, there seems to be some phenominal tweening between ragdoll and animations for hit registry. I've seen enemies ragdoll onto railings, or into a slup, then pull themselves back to a stand while in a daze. I'm not sure how the pseudo over the top action movie-esque fire fights/gameplay mixes with the atmosphere and plot, but I guess it's not too bad, since your character is supposed to be something of a super human+ESP and such, from what I can gather. That and monolith typically has good support for mods, I really hope there are a good deal of modifications for this thing. Everything about the gameplay feels extremely solid.

^ I'm the same way. I stopped playing the F.E.A.R. demo at the hallway with the flickering lights, which is towards the end. An hour later, I was curious to find out what was going to happen, so I started playing again. ## SMALL SPOILER: I knew something was about to go down and when the door slammed in my face, it only proved my point. ## All and all, I thought the game was pretty fun. I really enjoyed the slow motion effect. :)

I only get chills when watching scary movies, I love them btw, because in the end it's all just some good scary fun. Not the same with games though, because when it comes to a movie, you are just watching it, no matter how much I get into a movie I'm still just following the movie's steps. But when I'm playing a game, I'm the main character so I need to make the progress forward, I tend to forget that it's only a game when the creepy parts come up. Nothing I can actually do about it, I know how to tell myself that it's only a game, but when I get into it, it doesn't matter because everything seems real. There you go, honest truth from what I feel.

I still play these games though, despite whatever I feel I have the urge to challenge myself into things I'm scared of.

I get scared in some games very easily but the amount depends on how they do the scaring, If its like DOOM I get scared the first hour or so but then I was able to predict when something would pop out or come from behind, just go boring then.

The Silent Hill series and games like F.E.A.R that use the more lighter psycological method get me pretty jumpy. Just because you don't know whats going to happen, they create a better atmosphere. Like it was mentioned earlier AvP did this aswell, make the game dark and even told you the direction the aliens were comming but the dam constant "Beep, Beep, Beep", got you all freaked out.

While I enjoy the instant fear games like DOOM 3 and Resident Evil, they get old and predictable.

Ruffy said:
y
I've had too many experiances with the supernatural(i've posted stories years ago on the oollld general mayhem here)

Where you the guy who posted from the apparently haunted cabin/hunting lodge/something ?

The only time I ever got scared was a game ( forget name ) ( about 10 years ago )

I'm watchin the replay of an EAGLES football game on T.V. and my roommate comes out of his room and says " hey I gotta go to the bathroom real fast...take my controller ...and just don't get killed.....I'm thinkin ..O.K. how hard can that be?

....I'm on a hill in the mountains and its really foggy/misty and I got a pistol or some shit like that? And I'm thinkin..."somethin aint right" :(

Suddenly the ground starts rumbling and I turn back looking into the mist just in time to catch...A FUCKING HUGE TRICERATOPS charging out of the mist and coming right at me lookin like he wants to hurt me.........and if I aint already freakin enough I notice he's got two fuckin' cannons on his back :eek:

I actually dropped the controller and got stomped on :eek:

and I'm thinkin' "this is the coolest game ever....period....bottom line. And this is before I got bit clear in half by t-rex about 10x in a row.

Anyone know this game. Video game history as far as I'm concerned

the origional DOOM w/ lights off and sounds up ("TURN THAT DOWN!!!!")

...then came HeadCrabs!!!

/me shudders!!

You can't really be "scared" while playing a video game, startled yes, but not scared. The supposed "scary" parts in Doom 3 and FEAR are more interesting than scary. The only game in which I've come close to being "scared" is RE1 on the Gamecube. Just that freaky background music and having a disgusting zombie leap out of a closet and chew on your throat from total quietness kinda startled me. :p

I twitch all the damn time when something pops up in front of me. I usually wind up looking somewhere other than I should with the left mouse button mashed, firing at the sky. :p

i used to get battle stress from playing Call of Duty. Resident Evil would scare the beejeezus out of me though.

RailGunRiz said:
Scariest game that you'll ever set hands on is...(Dino Crisis 1) at (230AM) during a (Thunderstorm) for which your (power) goes out often.

First few minutes into it there's a raptor hiding in a closet somewhere and it gets very quiet...and as he jumps out I throw the controller in the air and the power jolts/goes out and everything is dark and I can't see shit.

So with this I got up from my couch where I was playing (now keep in mind it's 2AM, no one is home |parents are overseas and my siblings were out someplace| and I strafe my way past things blindy, searching around, when all the sudden I trip over my dog, the dog gets startled and starts howling/barking scaring the shit out of me even more till the point where I almost crap myself. At this point Im scared stiff and once my dog layed down again and stfu I listened and I could hear what sounded like footsteps but was really rain (too scared to differenciate)

while laying there I slowly got up and as I stood up the power comes back on but there's no lights on downstairs. We have an alarm system that craps out every poweroutage and often it goes off upon reactivation, so when I got up I made my way to the kitchen where the unit was and the thing lights up and all the alarms go off, making my dog bark a police call/firetruck call, 2 minutes later Im standing there and the doorbell rings and there's a cop there. Open it up and he asks "You alright?" I said "yeah the power went out, nothin wrong here" with that the power goes off again and the dog howls and at this point I just said "the hell with this!" , ran past the cop and down the street to my grandparents house.
this whole story is bullshit though.

haha i think it'd be funny if it was real, esp. the part about tripping over the dog. lmfao

I think anticipation plays a big part in fear, and this is why AvP is scary, because that damn motion tracker lets you know something is coming.

Playing the half life 2 demo freaked me out a few times... The introduction to the fast zombies is pretty scary.

i love those guys

Back