scared while playing games?

HHunt said:
Where you the guy who posted from the apparently haunted cabin/hunting lodge/something ?

No

onther all time scary creepy game was Undying. It had a whole creepy atmosphere down. The whole ambient voices tell you "scryyyeee, loooook, seeee" And when you would DO those things you'd see some pretty fucked up things.

I never got to finish that game due to a glitch in a catacombs level :(

Doom 3 at 4 am..... alone........... dark house......................... scared

It wasn't so much scary as a "creep-me-the-fock-out", but the dream/drugged sequences in Max Payne had a profound effect on me. There's this vertiginous sense of nightmare logic and unreality as the corridor stretches impossibly out in front of you and you leap, travelling 20 feet in semi-slow motion. And the phantom, echoing voice of your wife begging for help ... huge psychological impact. That shit just totally freaked me out. It was great.

During my first few days of playing Doom 3, I had to stop playing after an hour or so; I was getting way too tense and jumpy. The game's unremitting darkness had a lot to do with that, especially when played at night, alone, lights off, 5.1 cranked.

Of course I generally play games stoned, so that kinda helps the immersion factor.

I sort of feel sorry for the people with weaker suspensions of disbelief. By not surrenduring themselves to a game/movie/book, they're missing much of the impact and robbing themselves of a lot of the enjoyment. The relinquishment of control in a good game atmosphere is well worth it.

EchoMatrix said:
one of the scariest games ive played in while was Thief 3. the insane asylum level

Yeah it took me a while to finish that level. I think I took 3 breaks in total, I had to take a break right after I got in because the sound made me feel like something's around me but I couldn't find anything.

Nothing worse than trying to pick a lock then turn around to find one right in your face, twitch ..... twitch ..... twitch ...... "HOLY CRAP 32$!^%()@!#$*@#)(*$@*^%)!@*$@#", or something like that. :D

I was really creeped out by that level, still can't remember how I managed to get through it.

Back