Scanning a lot of documents efficiently

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
I am finding it surprisingly difficult to scan a lot of documents quickly and efficiently. Meaning, I really want to avoid having to go back and forth between my scanner and my computer. The HP scan to computer feature seemed good for this. This let you stand at the printer and scan documents one after the other, and they show up as separate files on your computer. Also, I want the file size to be reasonable. These are black and white text documents. So, I didn't think that the file size per page should be more than 100 KB, and would really prefer even smaller than that.

So far, I have used a couple of HP all in one devices (HP 8610 all in one and HP Envy Photo 7855). I am finding that these produce very large file sizes; larger than the 100 KB that I was hoping for. Also, I am noticing that the scans are crooked or cut off (even brand new device out of the box). Since I prefer to use Linux, I have used the scanner initiated scan to USB thumb drive, web based scan, and computer initiated HPLIP software because the scan to computer with the the scanner-initiated scan seems to only work with Windows.

As much as I hate it, I am open to using Windows (perhaps a Virtual machine) if need be. But, I'm pretty sure that my HP 8610 was producing very large file sizes with that, too (it has been a couple of years).

I'm frustrated at this point (more and more papers piling up). In 2019, seems like this is a molehill into a mountain.

I think that I should be able to get something set up here for less than $200, where I can scan a lot of black and white documents quickly, with each page less than 100 KB. I am willing to have to scan a large stack at once, as long as I have a way to break it up into separate files with a few clicks or a couple of commands.

most of the time youre gonna get some type of image file or a file that contains an image and that keeps file size up. if you can do b&w, 200 dpi and document mode it will get below a MB but ive never seen a scan as small as 100KB unless you use ocr on a text doc.

Depending on how many documents you have libraries often have large multi function printers that you can scan to usb for free.
To the tune of 45-60 pages a minute, so depending on what you have and what options are available, something to consider.

Or are you looking for a long term permanent home setup? if so you might check craigslist for older business multifunction models.

Depending on how many documents you have libraries often have large multi function printers that you can scan to usb for free.
To the tune of 45-60 pages a minute, so depending on what you have and what options are available, something to consider.

Or are you looking for a long term permanent home setup? if so you might check craigslist for older business multifunction models.
Didn't know about libraries. I will definitely check that out.
Would be happy if I could blow through a couple of thousand pages.
After that, I'd be set for a while.
Maybe something like 100 pages per month after that. I would still want something better than the HP all in ones that I mentioned.
I am hoping that a store will let me come in and blow through their printers, until I get something that's not basically DOA.

Back