SBS 2003, shares, and guests

jasonlitka

2[H]4U
Alright, I'm feeling kind of stupid right now, but I need some help with SBS 2003.

How, exactly, do I share out a folder on the server, and not have to have a user supply a username and password to access it? I would like a few folders accessible to everyone on the network, including guests. I've tried adding the "Everyone" group to have full control over the folder as well as the share but that doesn't seem to work.

Hmmm... "Guest" account was disabled... Fixed that.

Anyhoo, is there some way I can get a listing of the available shares by just typing "\\servername\" like I could with Samba (or Windows XP, for that matter), or will I have to know the names of all my shares?

It should be pretty much like XP, unless i misunderstand your question...

litkaj said:
Hmmm... "Guest" account was disabled... Fixed that.

Anyhoo, is there some way I can get a listing of the available shares by just typing "\\servername\" like I could with Samba (or Windows XP, for that matter), or will I have to know the names of all my shares?

Ok go under server management and click on shares. That will show you all the shares. Going to the \\servername should do it as well. As far as if the guest account thing isn't working(it should) you can go into the server managment under users and create users on the server with the same usernames/passwords as on the other machines. That should get them to connect. The xp accounts really need passwords if I remember for that to work though. Make sure you don't have any firewall or anything preventing file sharing.

edit:
Why not just run a domain on your machines and just use guest for other people comming over?

Not all of my machines have XP Pro, the last half-dozen we purchased were XP Home because the boss wanted to save a few bucks. When they crash and refuse to boot we'll upgrade to XP Pro but until that happens, we can't justify the additional cost and the downtime.

In any case, when I try to go to "\\server" I get an access denied message. Going to "\\server\share" pulls it right up. Any ideas?

On the machines that are giving you a hard time, I would go into Control Panel, User Accounts, choose the user(s) and then 'manage my network passwords' and enter the server name and the SBS2003 account and password that the desktop should use for accessing that machine

dbwillis said:
On the machines that are giving you a hard time, I would go into Control Panel, User Accounts, choose the user(s) and then 'manage my network passwords' and enter the server name and the SBS2003 account and password that the desktop should use for accessing that machine

This would be the best option if possible under XP Home.

However I find it a bit funny that the money "saved" by not getting XP Pro has probably already been blown by the "downtime" the XP Home machines have not able to access the shares and the OPs time in trying to find a workable solution.

SJConsultant said:
This would be the best option if possible under XP Home.

However I find it a bit funny that the money "saved" by not getting XP Pro has probably already been blown by the "downtime" the XP Home machines have not able to access the shares and the OPs time in trying to find a workable solution.

Dont ever question management!!!!!!!!! They are the techies, not us!
:p ;)

I agree with SJ, time lost is pretty significant !

(thats not avail in XP Home?)

dbwillis said:
Well, that's my lesson for the day.

Back