SB now or wait for IB?

TheToE!

[H] Brewmaster
Guys, I've waited soo long to upgrade. I just about cannot take it any longer. I waited for bulldozer for almost a year(what a waste). Should I wait for IB? I'm kinda torn. I could jump on a z68 +2500k now... Should I jump or wait for IB and x79? For reference I'm still running a c2d e6400..

Yeah you're in need of an upgrade. I say go for it now. Ivy Bridge isn't due out for like 6 months or so. Even then, as soon as it releases, something else better will be coming out around the corner.

Get a 2500k now and then upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it's released. Why limit yourself to one option or the other. You could probably sell your 2500k and make most of your money back.

You guys are right, your echoing what I'm telling myself. I just had to hear it from my brothers! Now to decide on mobo....I'm actually liking the idea of that maximus 4 gene-z....

I think you should definitely get the Sandy. If you overclock it, you're already getting more performance than you're gonna get out of an Ivy at Stock at the very least, so you're pretty future-proofed for maybe a few years. Maybe get a mobo with PCI-Exp 3.0, but I suspect it'll be a while before any video cards really require more than 2.0.

Get the 2500k / M4G-Z board, then upgrade to ivy when it comes out later and sell the 2500k.

Get a Sandybridge. Go to your local Microcenter and get a bundle pack of the 2500K and asus motherboard. For $250 I couldn't be any happier. I feel as Sandybridge has lived beyond my expectations and I don't think I need another cpu for at least five years or so.

Hrmm wait for Ivy, then wait for next, then wait for next, then perpetually wait for next, you will be waiting for ever for the next big thing.

Just buy a 25/26K and be happy!

Unless you want to wait less than 2 weeks for SB-E to come out...

Sandy-E looks pretty beefy.

PCI-e 3.0 and quad channel memory function.

I'm in the same boat my friend......

I've had my X58 board for over two years; it's still got legs, but I'm in the mood for more stuff.

If ASUS puts together a Rampage for the SB-E I may jump.
If not then I'm waiting for IB and the new IB boards.

I just bit on a hot deal for 2500k/Z68 Gen3 combo. I might take it back in 2 weeks if X79 proves to be a big winner. Things in x79 that really interest me are the quad channel memory performance and over clocking abilities. I'm also interested to see if the 2500k will work with X79.

Only performance benchmarks for X79 that i have seen are over at Tom's and the results are not that impressive. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-performance,3026-4.html

X79 isn't looking like much of a big bang compared to when the X58 came out. Still hard to tell though.

2500k is tough to beat for the performance and value.

I dont think Sandy Bridge-E looks that bad from what Ive seen. The cheapest one Ive seen a price on is right at $300 which aint bad considering its a little faster than the 2600K. At worst, it should at least shake up the price points a little. Maybe we'll see some nice drops on the 2600K.

Yeah, I think Sandy Bridge is going to last quite a while, especially since Intel has no competition right now with AMD.

You're in the same boat I was. Just get a board that supports PCI 3.0 and IB, and go with SB. That way when IB comes out, if it's a lot better, you'll have a board that will support it.

Hop on the Sandy Bridge train. Ivy is a ways off and improves the IGP more than the CPU, from every preview I've seen.

X79 and IB are keeping tight lipped. I thought more performance sneak peaks would be out by now. Wouldn't be surprised if IB is a let down like BD was.

Cpus are never, atleast in the next 10 years, surpass GPU's in raw performance. The dies would be measure in square meters LOL.

Wouldn't be surprised if IB is a let down like BD was.

What are you insane? With the node jump + 3D transistors stuff, this will likely yield the performance of a double node jump. I think I read that quadcores will be 45 watt TDP. Just the overclocking potential alone will be enough to wait until IB.

What are you insane? With the node jump + 3D transistors stuff, this will likely yield the performance of a double node jump. I think I read that quadcores will be 45 watt TDP. Just the overclocking potential alone will be enough to wait until IB.

Some of them will be I think, but the performance parts are rumored to be 77W. But still, it's a pipe dream to believe IB will be anywhere near as fail as a bulldozer.

That would be great. If anything the improved power efficiency is extremely attractive. I understand it is more than just FPS and synthetic benchmark results.

The leaked slides show a 45w quad core, but it's in the "Power Optimized Lifestyle" class of products:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/ivy-bri...d-forwards-compatibility-explained/13754.html

Intel already has a 45w desktop quad-core: the Core i5 2500T, which sacrifices frequency for lower voltage and power. You can be sure that the Ivy Bridge models in the same segment will once-again be downclocked versions of the Enthusiast and Standard versions.

Since the TDP difference between Sandy and Ivy top-end is just 18w (%20), and the Ivy chips base clock will likely be 200-300 MHz faster (like Nehalem to Sandy) I find that to be a lot more realistic expectation for the maximum clock speed between the two to be about %25-30. Of course, this assumes that the pipeline Intel designed into Sandy Bridge has long enough legs for 5.5 to 6 GHz...here's to hoping :D

Last edited:
If the rumors are true, and SB-E won't have PCIe 3.0 implemented, then well, it's going to be funny. There will be PCI 3.0 capable boards, but before you will be able to use 3.0 cards, you will have to wait for IB-E

Is PCIe 3.0 even going to bring any noticeable gains to overall system performance for the average user with 1 PCIe graphics card?

I"m not talkin about gains, but compatibility. What if you can't use the PCI 3.0 without the PCI 3.0 compatible CPU, even if you have slot? "Hard to see the dark side is" ;)

As much as I am in love with the Rampage IV extreme, I have to wonder if it's worth the jump right now. I'm not even sure if the X79 motherboards are Ivy Bridge compatible??

As much as I am in love with the Rampage IV extreme, I have to wonder if it's worth the jump right now. I'm not even sure if the X79 motherboards are Ivy Bridge compatible??

I think they are compatible with Ivy Bridge-E

X79 and IB are keeping tight lipped. I thought more performance sneak peaks would be out by now. Wouldn't be surprised if IB is a let down like BD was.

ivy will be 22nm though, less wattage/less heat more overclocking potential

I agree, though that is why I plan to wait for Haswell. With the core redesign on the matured 22nm process it will absolutely destroy my aging 920 setup.

Guys, I've waited soo long to upgrade. I just about cannot take it any longer. I waited for bulldozer for almost a year(what a waste). Should I wait for IB? I'm kinda torn. I could jump on a z68 +2500k now... Should I jump or wait for IB and x79? For reference I'm still running a c2d e6400..

I'm in the same boat. My A64 X2 is on it's last legs. I'm going to get Z68 + i5-2500K now and just upgrade to Ivy in a year.

technology is always changing, no point in waiting if you ask me. besides ivy bridge won't be the giant leep that 1366 was from 775. they're putting emphasis into the IGP anyways, i say it isn't worth it.

Looks like a mild increase in performance with much better power efficiency.

I wouldn't waste money on getting SB now in the intent to upgrade just the CPU to IB later:
You'll still be missing on the good stuff from the IB Panther Point chipset if you don't upgrade the motherboard too.

It's a trickier question with every day that passes on: Volume production of IB CPUs has already started a few weeks ago (at least since Oct. 19 according to Intel CEO Paul Otellini.)
So the sales of IB computers and motherboards basically depends on how the OEMs were ready with the prototypes. Intel does not expect to see even the CPUs available before March 2012.

I know it's worth the wait for me, although I do look ridiculous with my 2.13MHz 6420 and my 8800GTX, but I'll upgrade to SB only if my computer completely burns down before IB releases.

god damn, 2.13MHz? It must take like 3 months to load windows 7 to the desktop. :p

Back