• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SB Build Fan/HSF Orientation

Katalysis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
1,813
I'm putting my trusty Q6600 out to pasture, and all my parts are in hand but the SSD and a PWM Y cable. I have a few questions since I haven't built in a while and want to make sure I'm not forgetting something. Here is what I am looking at as far as parts:

2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
2x4GB Vengeance 1866
XFX 6870
Corsair TX750
Crucial C300 128GB SSD
WD 6400AAKS
WD 1TB Green
CM Hyper 212+
Antec 300

Questions

1. The Antec 300 has a rear and a top exhaust. I also have Antec tri-cools in the two front intakes and the side intake. I am going to push/pull the 212+. I assume I want to blow toward the rear exhaust as opposed to the top? Sucking air over the ram, into the hsf, and out the back?

2. I've been reading up on applying thermal paste to this HSF. Sounds like I should put some paste onto the pipes, spread it around through some saran wrap, then put two thin strips of paste before putting it on?

3. Is my ram going to interfere with the HSF on that mobo?

4. What do I have to do do transfer my Win 7 license? I can just install Win 7 from my upgrade disc directly, right?

5. This is my first SSD. I feel a lot like someone who is buying a puppy because it looked cute. :confused: Are there are good guides on what I should be doing with this thing? I'm going to do a clean OS install on it, but is there any point in partitioning? I will just be able to move certain games and programs onto and off of the SSD when I want the speed? (does this even work with Steam games?) My intention is to use the SSD for the boot OS drive and my most used programs and games I am playing at the time, store all my music, documents, and other programs on the AAKS, and use the 1TB for deep storage. Is there some way in windows to just link the locations which would be on the SSD (like My Documents) to somewhere on the AAKS? :eek:

Thanks in advance.
 
1 I have an antec 900 with that massive top fan, my cpu cooler is a thermaltake xp120 the fan blows through the heatsink from the side panel to the mainboard. I dont think it matters much as long as the heat is going out it can be vertical or horizontal. You can buy some smoke in a can to see how the airflow goes more out the back or the top.

2 I used to put a layer of paste on the base of the heatsink and then use a credit card to scrape it flat for an even coat, but that tends to leave air pockets. I got much better results from the grain of rice method, though I now use the X form instead. About half the length in the center from corner to corner. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

3 It might come close, or you might need to unhook a fan for some working room, but it clears g skill ripjaw easy, those corsair dominator water cooled would be conflicting.

4 I've done full installs from an upgrade disc and put the code in and its fine, some have had to install once with no key, then install again as an upgrade and use the key. different methods, but an upgrade disc can install as full.

5 Too much to go into for this, but there are guides to optimize an ssd, and some show you how to move folders to other drives. You will have to search for your answer here.
 
Which of those parts are new and which parts are being reused from your current build?
 
Which of those parts are new and which parts are being reused from your current build?

NEW: CPU, Mobo, HSF, Ram, SSD
OLD: Case, PSU, HDDs, 6870

Basically just a platform upgrade plus the SSD. I 've had the 6870 for a few months to replace a 4870.
 
RAM wise, you won't notice an iota of real world difference between that Corsair RAM and this G.Skill RAM:
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
 
RAM wise, you won't notice an iota of real world difference between that Corsair RAM and this G.Skill RAM:
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

I've already purchased everything. I know that memory timing is independent from SB overclocking, but I just paid a little more for the Vengeance when it was on sale at Microcenter so I rationalized it with cool heat spreaders. :)
 
Regarding question 5, I just found this http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...ptimization-guide-for-windows-7-with-caution/

They give their opinions on some of the tweaks, then link to the tweaks. It also has a link in it on how to change the user folders at the bottom

Nice. Thanks a million. Gonna read that and see what else I can find.

I just got my CPU, HSF, and the ram installed. :D Got a little concerned when I started hearing the tension on the cpu lock (man, that thing is tight) and putting the paste on the copper tubes was a pain, but eventually I got the backplate on, got the HSF installed, both fans on, and there was just enough clearance for the ram. Looks like the ram fins will be just in the bottom of the push fan. Haven't built a full system in about 3 years, but it was mostly like riding a bike.

UPS don't fail me now! Need that SSD and the PWM Y cable tomorrow...
 
I've got it up and running, downloading updates and what not now.

Asus auto-tune moved up to 4.3xx ghz with 103 BCLK, and Asus Probe II is showing the voltage at 1.24 when the turbo kicks (it says the voltage is set at 1.195, and CPU-Z has showed it peak at 1.32). I haven't ran any stress testing yet or done any manual OCing. Do I want to drop the BCLK back to 100 and just mess with the mulitplier when I do this manually?
 
Back
Top